collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: TV Money in the Championship  (Read 8236 times)

Offline liam

TV Money in the Championship
« on: February 15, 2016, 06:53:11 PM »
Not sure if anyone knows the details of this deal, but I keep seeing Leeds moaning about being on the TV, I assumed the deal was similar in structure to the Premier league. Each club gets the same amount of cash but each televised game you get some more. It seems from reading the Leeds story that's not the case, the money is equally divided but then you're at the mercy of Sky, so lots of games moved to every night of the week which affects the attendance.

I had thought that when the inevitable happens and we go down, we would be prime for lots of matches bringing in some extra revenue, that doesn't look like its the case. And we know that midweek games in the prem see a drop already, so dread to think what it would do in the division below.

Can anyone clarify this?

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: TV Money in the Championship
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:25:37 PM »
£2.7m shared equally regardless of TV appearances. Parachute monet for us means something in the order of £100m extra to the rest of the League though (notwithstanding who drops with us).

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:46:29 PM »
Derby got £6.9m in TV money for the 2013-14 season 'helped by a run of televised games towards the end of the 2013-14 campaign' according to this - http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Latest-accounts-Rams-8216-debt-free/story-26255733-detail/story.html

So that suggests it's not a flat allocation.  I think Leeds' gripe is more to do with the late notice they get each time they're on TV as I imagine the incremental benefit of being on TV each time is pretty small.

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 08:46:39 PM »
With Premiership football next season on a Friday night, I would imagine our televised games would be mostly on a Thursday night or Saturday 12.15...what a sobering thought.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 08:53:15 PM »
Derby got £6.9m in TV money for the 2013-14 season 'helped by a run of televised games towards the end of the 2013-14 campaign' according to this - http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Latest-accounts-Rams-8216-debt-free/story-26255733-detail/story.html

So that suggests it's not a flat allocation.  I think Leeds' gripe is more to do with the late notice they get each time they're on TV as I imagine the incremental benefit of being on TV each time is pretty small.

They have been picked to be shown on SKY a lot more than some of the other teams in the Championship as well I read and your right the amount paid by SKY to show the game is very little

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 09:02:30 PM »
If it's any consolation the head of Sky Sports, Barney Francis, is a massive Villa fan, I suspect we'll be on a lot.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 09:26:47 PM »
With Premiership football next season on a Friday night, I would imagine our televised games would be mostly on a Thursday night or Saturday 12.15...what a sobering thought.

They do have some games on @ 17:15pm on a Saturday and Monday @ 19:45pm as well

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 09:39:36 PM »

Really is it any more sobering than being dicked around now for TV?

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 09:52:28 PM »
Cellino makes out he's protecting the interests of Leeds fans. And he moans that the TV money doesn't make up for lost ticket sales, but I can't see that.
What really bugs him is knowing that Sky are milking Leeds' huge nationwide and worldwide support better than he is - and they pay Leeds the same amount they'd pay say Rotherham for the privilege.
Yet he hasn't even taken advantage of the TV exposure and found a shirt sponsor.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Suits me!

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 10:00:54 PM »
Suits me!
What would suit you..Brighton away on a Thursday night or Norwich away at 12.15 on a Saturday lunchtime?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 10:06:30 PM »
Tell me when it's ever a good time for Norwich away!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 10:15:20 PM »
Any time. Norwich is the shortest distance I travel. Mind you Millwall is five minutes walk from my son''s house.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »
Suits me!
What would suit you..Brighton away on a Thursday night or Norwich away at 12.15 on a Saturday lunchtime?

Either. I live in Germany and work weekend evenings. Obviously those times don't suit the travelling fan, but that's also not what I said...

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 10:23:35 PM »
Suits me!

Either. I live in Germany and work weekend evenings. Obviously those times don't suit the travelling fan, but that's also not what I said...
I totally get what you were saying..at the same time I think you understand the point I was trying to get across..it's going to be a right ball ache next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal