collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: FINAL GAME BOYCOTT  (Read 39967 times)

Offline Loxton01

FINAL GAME BOYCOTT
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
So after yesterday walking back to my car I was simply stunned by what I saw on that pitch yesterday. The board have to play their part but the pitiful excuse of the starting 11 yesterday and the effort they put in was horrific.

As fans we have stuck by the team this season and what have we got back  ----- we've got the bird - whether it be by Grealish getting pissed, Lescott and his twitter tricks, Guzan and his spitting gum contest. They don't care so why should we keep going in our thousands and simply accept it.

Liverpool led the way with the 77th minute protest and we need to make the same statement that we simply wont accept what we are being served. I can forgive a lack of quality but I cant forgive basic errors and a lack of effort.

By the last game we will be down and down for somewhile. So its the ideal game to mark Proud History Bright Future by not going to the game and at least making a stand. If people don't like that idea - then we need a specific minute to leave or all where black and have banners everywhere saying Proud History - Grim/Dark/Ruined Future. As fans we have to do something.

People who paid for season tickets like me - whats one half of football its bad enough as it is. At least then perhaps finally the board might realise we are going to wake up from the apathy and stop just taking it.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: FINAL GAME BOYCOTT
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »
You would need to organise an event to take place at the same time as the match, for people to attend instead. Otherwise it will just look like "rubbish attendance" rather than "boycott." A protest meeting or a mock funeral for the Club. Getting people to attend would be the rub.

Offline The Villa Werewolf

• GM : 13.07.2015
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 02:46:02 PM »
a mock funeral for the Club.

That's without doubt the most ridiculous suggestion I've ever read on this forum.

We are not Newcastle United.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 02:51:19 PM »
Your problem is human nature is against you.

People can be asked, told, cajoled into going to something, trying to get them not to go to something is far more difficult. 

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »
That's without doubt the most ridiculous suggestion I've ever read on this forum.

Blimey! You can't have read this forum that much then! Have you seen some of the signing/managerial suggestions over the years?

It was meant more as a "for example" than a "this is a really brilliant idea." 

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
The idea of a boycott is a good one.  All it would need is for Villa fans to stay away, and pictures of a (virtually) empty stadium will resonate.  There's no need for any sort of "event".

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 02:58:14 PM »
Its interesting , Liverpool supporters never let up on Hicks & Gillette and likewise made sure their ire was known about the ticket prices. Perhaps we don't care enough.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »

We are not Newcastle United.

Got to agree. It's a horrible idea.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 02:58:48 PM »
By the last game we will be down and down for somewhile. So its the ideal game to mark Proud History Bright Future by not going to the game and at least making a stand. If people don't like that idea - then we need a specific minute to leave or all where black and have banners everywhere saying Proud History - Grim/Dark/Ruined Future. As fans we have to do something.

As the Communist Bloc was imploding, one of the memorable symbolic acts was how the people of Romania waved the country's flag but with the Party insignia cut out from the middle. 

Maybe that's the protest: hold aloft the Proud History scarves, but with gaping holes where the Bright Future once was.

Offline Loxton01

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 03:05:58 PM »
If the AVST and other groups got together and got the message out I genuinely believe fans would listen. Ok not everyone but if circa only 5-10K went to the last game of the season that would get publicity.

AVST could put out press releases leading up to the game stating the request and the clear reasons why fans are boycotting. It would draw out the press and put more pressure on Fox and Hollis to answer questions such as:-

1. Will the Moneyball approach to transfers continue given the calamitous failings over the last couple of years.
2. Other than Tim Sherwood will any other members of the board/senior exec team lose their jobs as a result of relegation this season. Why is the Managing Director remaining in post despite the failings of the club on the pitch.
3. Please confirm the strategy behind giving 5 year contracts to players who have performed at best averagely over the seasons before.
4. Please confirm the strategy behind freezing out Alan Hutton then giving him a new 4 year deal only 3 games after his return to the team.
5. Confirm why Phillipe Senderos was not given a squad number this season so effectively leading him to being paid weekly but not even being able to represent the club.
6. Charles NZogbia earns a reported 63K a week why is he not being made to have a better attitude - why is he not fined for his reported bad attitude.
7. Why is Gary Gardner given a new contract on a regular basis but never given a chance in the first team - despite the poor performances by others.

ETC ETC

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 03:09:15 PM »
I think a full boycott of the final game is doomed to failure.

I would suggest walking out before the "lap of appreciation" (I have done the last two seasons because, well, frankly I haven't appreciated the efforts of the team). For this to happen it would require such an event to happen - I doubt it would after relegation, and even if it did its impact would be minimal.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 03:11:23 PM »
Appreciation my arse

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
It's meant for the players to show their appreciation for us. Which could be interesting this season.

Offline Coseley Villa

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 03:18:25 PM »
The last match being Newcastle at home will more than likely be our last home game in the premiership for how long we just do not know, by staying away will indeed just look like bad attendance , The AVFC police stewards will remove banners from us on the way in make no doubt , also remember there are thousands of fans who do not read any kind of forum so trying to organise anything only generates interest on each fan forum. We should turn up in our thousands, not to support the team, the board , management but to support Aston Villa. As the teams are about to enter we should all turn our backs and it could only take the upper Holte to start chanting ' Turn round if you love Villa ', to hopefully get the rest to follow. We should have a party atmosphere that day because they will not silence us and I would rather have commentators saying how amazing we are rather than belittling us. I know it is hard because we all feel beaten but when all these players and suits have climbed in their new Mercedes and fucked off we will still be here , praising,moaning,cheering and booing but most importantly supporting Aston Villa Football Club 

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 03:19:24 PM »
It's meant for the players to show their appreciation for us. Which could be interesting this season.
Well they can shove it up their collective, appreciative arse. Along with Joleon Lescott's new car.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal