collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McGrath right as Div 3 beckons  (Read 19740 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: McGrath right as Div 3 beckons
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 11:15:44 PM »
We will brass the second division up no worries. Whether we can stay up in 2017/18 though, who knows.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 11:26:10 PM »
Daft. There is the basis of a decent squad. The majority of these players have spent their time in the PL staying up. Even as piss-poor PL players, they should manage Championship standards with ease. Other's like Gestede have done it in the Championship level.  Most of them aren't over the hill, so given the right manager we should be able to form a team out of the debris that will challenge at least the play-offs and with the right additions, and fucking off the likes of Bacuna, we should at least be competitive

On the evidence I've seen. This team will be lucky to hit mid table at best.
How many of this squad are battle hardened for the Championship? Not many.
I don't see anything in that team. Like the ground now its an empty shell.

Don't agree. We're not that much worse than Norwich who got in the play-offs and up last season. Obviously any player on their current form is going to struggle to do well in the championship but a lot of that is confidence. ok some like Bacuna are going to struggle to make the grade in Div3, but the rest......given a few additions, i think will be up there. I'm not a fan of baker and clark but they are definetely a decent centre half pair for the championship even with their limitations. who stays out of lescott and the rest. think they all could do a job in the championship. What we are left with is the big question but looking at the average players on lower wages who are more likely to stay and probably the better attitudes to being out of the PL, I'm not as worried as some

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 11:26:20 PM »
Teams that get promoted seem to have something approaching a unity from top to bottom. We have nothing like that with the owner having seemingly lost interest and no idea who the manager will be in six months.

Not always, Newcastle would be an exception. They're also a club where the owner is despised. But they weren't particularly close to relegation in the seasons preceding their drop. So you could put it down to one bad season caused by incessant bad managerial appointments.

Better Villa sides (ie ones containing Benteke and Quisling) have struggled for years. There is no guarantee whatsoever that we'd be immediate contenders to go back up.

Does that mean we'll sink to Division Three? Probably not. But every time I think we've hit rock bottom... we get worse. So who knows?

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 11:27:40 PM »
The so called cleanse just won't happen. We will still have O'Reilly selecting the players which Lerner will refuse to fork out for. Hollis trying to purge and Fox trying to sell the shirts. The only planning that will take place is for the inevitable removal of anyone at the club who earns more than five shillings and a ha'penny a week. The club is a joke and will only plan for a reduction in outgoings rather that a robust plan to get back up to the Premier league. Division 3 is a stretch though.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 11:31:26 PM »
I've been watching the Championship on Sky since Octoberish to see what the [cliché on] "most competitive league in the world" [cliché off] looks like.

It looks shite. Admittedly Leeds are on every other week, but even the good sides are shite.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 11:34:06 PM »
The way to stop the slide is being ruthless, the club rolls their sleeves up and work hard.  There is no easy, half-hearted approach to this.  You draw a line and say we are not going below it and bring in the resources to do so.  We have too many nice/weak players.  Go out a buy a strong spine to the team, not pretty but effective.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 11:40:07 PM »
Until we know who will be here, from top to bottom of the club, we have no way of knowing how we will fare next season.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 11:46:36 PM »
I've been watching the Championship on Sky since Octoberish to see what the [cliché on] "most competitive league in the world" [cliché off] looks like.

It looks shite. Admittedly Leeds are on every other week, but even the good sides are shite.

We might fit in nicely then.

I see at the least 12 organised units. Hard working players. Established Championship teams.

I can see Westwood, Bacuna etc just passing sideways every Saturday afternoon and every Tuesday evening.

Still going though.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2016, 05:23:16 AM »
a  general request - if anyone knows what meds curlytailavfc is on, can they please PM me

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2016, 06:18:26 AM »
The defeat today is not just a humiliation, its confirmation of something Paul McGrath said a couple of months ago. This club could go straight through the championship into Division 3. League one my foot. Its where we were in 1970. While today is the first 0-6 defeat at home since 1983 (the year after we won the European cup - achievement wrecked by the chair. And how things have changed....) its more than that.

Clearly the squad was poor under Sherwood and got worse under Garde, but it is at the top that we need to look for the problems. Not backing Garde in the January window was a vote of no confidence. So why? Perhaps a way to force him to resign so the pay off doesn't happen? As all the managers under LErner have been paid off, the fault is of course with him. He appoints donkeys. And with the manager donkey, they then have to work under people who don't understand football.

Last post I did, I was backing Garde but now think he may have to resign to save his reputation. No one can blame him. Any football club that has no football nous and appoints bankers to the board when they need football experts is showing that money is more valuable than skill. But they are donkeys too, as the big money is about to come in and they are throwing it away. Then Lescott seems to have gone public on his new Mercedes. Folly, but Lescott knows how good football clubs are run and can see the rot at this one. Division 3 is not inevitable, though the Championship does seem inevitable, but the big questions are not about what happens on the pitch. Its sad that fans don't get more involved in the boardroom politics. Villa is a classic example of being run by a man with more money than sense. If McGrath can see what is happening, however, how come the fans generally don't get the messge?

Trevor Fisher.
May l respectively suggest Trevor that you do not sign each post with your name.We know who you are it appears at the top of your post,For some reason I find this deeply irritating. Do you think you are important or something?

Offline trevor fisher

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2016, 06:50:35 AM »
In reply to Ron Manager, I always sign everything, and with my real name. I don't think its a sign of being important, since AVISA I have not represented any fan group - if it irritates you I will stop it. I read the rules when I came onto the site and as far as I can see there is no rule against doing so.

but if it annoys you, I will not sign this one.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2016, 07:10:45 AM »
In reply to Ron Manager, I always sign everything, and with my real name. I don't think its a sign of being important, since AVISA I have not represented any fan group - if it irritates you I will stop it. I read the rules when I came onto the site and as far as I can see there is no rule against doing so.

but if it annoys you, I will not sign this one.
Thank you Trevor.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:39:36 AM by Ron Manager »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2016, 07:14:21 AM »
a  very annoying habit? No I don't think so Ron.
Mr Underhill

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »
I hate to say this that side is so bad if we do not change all the side by next season( will not happen :-( ) i think we will go down again and maybe a lot of years before we are back in the top division.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2016, 08:18:21 AM »
We will brass the second division up no worries. Whether we can stay up in 2017/18 though, who knows.

Long time no see General K!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal