collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Redundancies at VP?  (Read 25112 times)

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
Re: Redundancies at VP?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 12:06:23 PM »
it's pretty easy to end up with a couple of staff who turn up every day, make tea, keep the kitchen and office tidy but don't actually do much real work.

Ah, I see you've worked at the University of Birmingham too.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 12:29:03 PM »
There was the story when Sunderland made a load of staff redundant including canteen staff at their training ground and Michael Gray pulled onto the car park in the brand new Porsche he had just taken delivery of. I believe he wasn't very popular.

I remember standing outside the old Trinity Road stand (selling H&V) when I overheard two guys talking about what they were going to do after they were made redundant from Rover and how hard it was going to be. Just as Lee Hendrie drove past in his 911 (I think it was a 911)

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
Still can't understand why we can't stop paying redundant players like N'Zogbia. Or at least make him contribute to staff wages to prevent them losing their jobs.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
Still can't understand why we can't stop paying redundant players like N'Zogbia. Or at least make him contribute to staff wages to prevent them losing their jobs.

A tiny little legal technicality called his contract.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 01:02:48 PM »
of  course he is totally entitled to his money but it always strikes how difficult it appears to be to terminate a footballer's contract compared to other professions

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 01:25:24 PM »
of  course he is totally entitled to his money but it always strikes how difficult it appears to be to terminate a footballer's contract compared to other professions

totally, you keep hearing that football is a business but the things they do like contracts and player wages as a percentage of turnover is mental

If you are shit at any other job you would get moved on and have a couple of months money as notice - if you're lucky

Football they just pay your contract in full

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 01:42:22 PM »

totally, you keep hearing that football is a business but the things they do like contracts and player wages as a percentage of turnover is mental

If you are shit at any other job you would get moved on and have a couple of months money as notice - if you're lucky

Football they just pay your contract in full

It's designed to give security to both parties.

So you're right that in other jobs there is the possibility of moving out an ineffective employee, but there is also nothing to stop a brilliant employee quitting and moving to a better job elsewhere.

It's the same factor that keeps dross like N'Zogbia with us for so long, as kept Benteke with us for more than one season.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »
From what I hear most weeks from my partner it can still cost rather a lot of money releasing people from a contract when they are crap at their job.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 01:50:47 PM »
it's pretty easy to end up with a couple of staff who turn up every day, make tea, keep the kitchen and office tidy but don't actually do much real work

*startled look*

*hastily flicks excel spreadsheet to front of screen*

Looks from side to side. .. moves phone closer to body to ensure no one can see

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 01:56:07 PM »
it's pretty easy to end up with a couple of staff who turn up every day, make tea, keep the kitchen and office tidy but don't actually do much real work

*startled look*

*hastily flicks excel spreadsheet to front of screen*

Looks from side to side. .. moves phone closer to body to ensure no one can see

Cup of tea anyone?

Online CT Villan

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2016, 03:08:23 PM »
Get a job working from home where you pick your own hours, it saves that panic... :P

and it's clothing optional too...

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »
Get a job working from home where you pick your own hours, it saves that panic... :P

and it's clothing optional too...

ssssh, no one needs to know about that (although I spend most of the day on video conferences so...

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 04:00:38 PM »

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 04:24:19 PM »
Apropos absolutely nothing, I loathe the term "working from home" and firmly believe it should be "working at home". People who watched Tuesday's unpleasantness somewhere other than Upton Park won't describe their viewing experience as "watching from home/the pub/dodgy Arabic stream" now, will they?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 04:42:39 PM »
Apropos absolutely nothing, I loathe the term "working from home" and firmly believe it should be "working at home". People who watched Tuesday's unpleasantness somewhere other than Upton Park won't describe their viewing experience as "watching from home/the pub/dodgy Arabic stream" now, will they?

I disagree, if you are working at home you are putting up shelves or doing the vacuuming.

Chris, posting from home.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal