collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Darius Vassell retires  (Read 12743 times)

Offline badluckeric(gates)

Re: Darius Vassell retires
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 01:05:21 PM »
Amongst the good memories is one I try to forget-coming back against us on a Tuesday night playing for a pre-money Citeh and doing us with (I think) 2 goals. We were so bad that night, I know someone will correct me if i'm wrong but I think a very young Gabby came on with about 10 mins left (possibly home debut?) and scared the life out of them.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »
Not sure if it was his debut but I always remember him coming on when we were behind and scoring two goals against a team we should have beaten.

Could have been a European game.

Could also have been Stefan Moore.

Or Luke.

Stromsgodsets I think.

Remarkable, thanks.

http://www.eurocupshistory.com/match/4643/aston_villa_vs_stromsgodset_if/

I have no recollection of Collymore getting a hat trick in the second leg.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 01:13:59 PM »
Definitely Stromsgodset

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »
I remember the second leg was on Channel 5.

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »
I remember the Stromsgodset first leg very well as was holidaying in Faliraki at the time with the future Mrs Lobster

She was feeling unwell and wanted to leave the bar we were watching the game in early to go back to the apartment

I was having none of it thereby forcing her to walk the couple of hundred yards back to the apartment in the dark alone

I arrived home about an hour later, clearly the worse for wear and proceeded to wake her up to tell we had won courtesy of Darius Vassell!

I do love a story with a happy ending...

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »
Did he score our only goal over at Celta Vigo in the Uefa Cup, only for us to get played off the park in the second leg?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »
Wasn't there a picture of the World Cup squad on the steps of the plane, all the players with their wives and girlfriends and Darius with his Mom?  Or is that a bit of folklore?

Offline 144 Hard Boiled Eggs

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2016, 03:45:06 PM »
Did he score our only goal over at Celta Vigo in the Uefa Cup, only for us to get played off the park in the second leg?
I think that was Joachim. I certainly remember having to take a taxi from Vigo to Porto for my return flight due to over sleeping and missing the train!

Offline supertom

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 03:52:05 PM »
I remember when he was just breaking through. He looked a real talent. Good on the ball, skilfull and lightening quick. He was always blighted with a lack of self belief the longer his career went on. If he had a much bigger streak of arrogance I think he'd have been more prolific. I'd also liked to have seen more of him partnering Angel. They played pretty well together when they were partnered up.

Decent lad. Never really fulfilled his potential with us sadly and his career after us was never the same.

I'll always look back on Darius with a lot more fondness than Gabby to be honest. 

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 04:13:37 PM »
Thanks for the memories Darius, always gave everything. Met him in SoBar once and he was just a lovely unassuming lad. I'll never forget how proud I was when he scored that overhead kick for England (was it his debut??).

This ^^ I never met him in SoBar though.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2016, 06:17:41 PM »
On the eve of the Cup tie, it is worth remembering a time not so long ago when a move from the Villa to Man City represented, at best, a sideways move, maybe even a step down.  Sighs.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2016, 06:49:30 PM »
Not sure if it was his debut but I always remember him coming on when we were behind and scoring two goals against a team we should have beaten.

Could have been a European game.

Could also have been Stefan Moore.

Or Luke.

Stromsgodsets I think.

Remarkable, thanks.

http://www.eurocupshistory.com/match/4643/aston_villa_vs_stromsgodset_if/

I have no recollection of Collymore getting a hat trick in the second leg.

Here it is.  A young(er) Gary Lineker hosting.  Gerard Sinstadt commentating.  Darren Byfield started!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 06:49:47 PM »
Thanks for the memories Darius, always gave everything. Met him in SoBar once and he was just a lovely unassuming lad. I'll never forget how proud I was when he scored that overhead kick for England (was it his debut??).

This ^^ I never met him in SoBar though.

Just imagine. We beat Blues 5-1 on the Sunday and Daddy (as he is NOW officially known) gets that drunk he wrestled a sleeping rottweiler in the local pub amongst other things.

What I didn't consider was how sick I would feel the next day. After fighting through bleary thoughts of meeting General Krulak at the pub, trying lucozade and stodge to get me through it, hair of the dog was the only way come 5pm.

One pint I took an hour and a half to chew down and I went Ho the cashpoint in The Arcadian. The bloke behind was Martin Lauren.

There ensued two hours of fun with Scandinavian Villa players. Me arguing with Laursen,  Mellberg and Carew as to why it was acceptable for a pauper like me to pay for the drinks based on the score.

And getting the biggest bollocking from the wife ever for turning up at home more pissed than the night before!

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 07:14:39 PM »
^^Great story 😀

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 07:30:37 PM »
On the eve of the Cup tie, it is worth remembering a time not so long ago when a move from the Villa to Man City represented, at best, a sideways move, maybe even a step down.  Sighs.

Was definitely a move down, he couldn't get in the team anymore.
His biggest weakness was his lack of self-belief, he used to look so scared at one on one's.  Quality on his day though and as has been said, seemed to be a genuinely nice fella.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal