collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: European Super Cup  (Read 6390 times)

Offline ez

Re: European Super Cup
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »
Extraordinary game. I have the whole game on dvd. The player that copped for Peter Withe's elbow was down for ages getting treatment. The goalkeeper was a lunatic. He kicked Sid Cowans into the net after the penalty. I recently asked Ken McNaught to sign a picture from that game. I Said to him, "You wouldn't forget that game in a hurry would you". He said, "No, there was some good sport going on that night".

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 05:24:43 PM »
Oh yes, you youngsters who only know the Barcelona from Pep Guardiola onwards would scarcely believe the filthy bastards they once were.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »
I always felt that Barca game cost us any realistic chance we had of beating Juventus in the QF. Without Allan Evans (red carded v Barca) we were always going to struggle defensively. Des Bremner was a wonderful stop gap but not up to stopping the likes of Paolo Rossi.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 11:52:20 AM »
This day in 1983. What a night!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 01:55:12 PM »
My favourite night at Villa Park. I was twelve and to see us win a trophy (or to be accurate a plaque/shield) on home turf was great. The atmosphere was like nothing I had known before, mainly due to Barcelona whipping the Villa fans into a frenzy of partisan passion with their 'tactics'. The game would probably be abandoned now as there wouldn't be enough players left on the pitch. At least half of their team could have received red cards (including of course the goalkeeper). Standing on the Holte I had never seen the Trinity and Witton fans so loud and animated. Although unlike the other massive game a few weeks later against Juventus who brought a large amount of fans, Barcelona didn't seem to bring many at all. Small Heath won the Attari Soccer Sixes at the NEC the same night which is surely the only time two teams in the same city have won a trophy in that city on the same night.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 09:21:26 AM »
Certainly a game that has always stayed in my memory .Barcelona just could not handle losing .You had to see their keeper kicking Sid after he scored the penalty to believe it .Have never seen anything like that and how he was not sent off only the referee knows.Still makes me chuckle when i see Ken McNaught shadow boxing.Happy days.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 10:37:36 AM »
If I remember right Diego Maradona missed the game with hepatitis. If you think it was a crazy game imagine what it would have been like with Diego thrown into the mix.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 02:29:39 PM »
If I remember right Diego Maradona missed the game with hepatitis. If you think it was a crazy game imagine what it would have been like with Diego thrown into the mix.

I fear we may not have won Damo.....

Offline Damo70

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 07:22:49 PM »

I was under the impression Maradona was a flop at Barcelona, but injury and illness aside he still scored 22 goals in 36 games.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »

I was under the impression Maradona was a flop at Barcelona, but injury and illness aside he still scored 22 goals in 36 games.

Including that unreal chip against Athletic Bilbao I think it was

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 09:32:10 PM »

A bit like this maybe?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 07:59:35 AM »

Including that unreal chip against Athletic Bilbao I think it was

Was that in the same game that he was seriously injured by 'The Butcher Of Bilbao' Andoni Goikoetxea, who these days looks very much like a cross between Robert Lindsay and Robert Davi?

Offline manic-road

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 12:58:00 PM »
37 years ago today, still one of my highlights supporting Villa being in the Holte that night with an incredible atmosphere.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal