collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Season: Anyone positive  (Read 22156 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Next Season: Anyone positive
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 01:36:19 PM »
I think Veretout will stay unless there is a big offer. I expect we will see Okore, Ayew, Cissokho, Sanchez Nzogbia, Gabby, Richards and Guzan go.

Then build the side around what is left. Veretout, Gueye and Amavi I would be convincing now to stay were I Garde.

If we did keep them I would be very optimistic about next season. Newcastle kept their squad together when they dropped. We need to do likewise.

Offline myf

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 02:38:29 PM »
If we can keep the team below and fill in the gaps with decent players, think we'll be fine whichever league we find ourselves in.

?

Richards          Okore       Lescott      Amavi

Gana

Veretout                  ?

Gil

Ayew                ?

will be surprised if half of that are still here. Not sure I want richards here either

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 02:47:54 PM »
Richards should be let go if anyone wants him, like you myf, i'd be surprised if Veretout, Gana and Ayew are playing next season, don't expect them to be wanting to hang around in the Championship.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
why would we sell half the team? I really don't get this argument of a mass exodus. Grade has got the current group playing well together. A good striker and we are 4-5 points better off for sure. I'm sure we will lose one or two players, but I just don't buy into this last one to leave Villa Park turn off the lights attitude. Newcastle, Hull, Burnley have all gone down in recent years and none of them had players leaving in huge numbers. We will keep the majority of this squad. Or least the majority of the players the manager wants to keep. We will promote some kids from the academy like Hepburn-Murphy, Kinsella, Donacien etc to see more playing time, and will likely bring in a few players of Garde's choosing.

If the principles the manager is installing are followed, the players/distractions like N'Zogbia/Gabby/Richardson sold or leave through their contract expiring, we will be in decent shape for an immediate promotion push. I truly believe that Garde is the man for the job and he will get the appropriate backing from the club to do what he needs to do to bring us back up.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 03:11:02 PM »
why would we sell half the team? I really don't get this argument of a mass exodus. Grade has got the current group playing well together. A good striker and we are 4-5 points better off for sure. I'm sure we will lose one or two players, but I just don't buy into this last one to leave Villa Park turn off the lights attitude. Newcastle, Hull, Burnley have all gone down in recent years and none of them had players leaving in huge numbers. We will keep the majority of this squad. Or least the majority of the players the manager wants to keep. We will promote some kids from the academy like Hepburn-Murphy, Kinsella, Donacien etc to see more playing time, and will likely bring in a few players of Garde's choosing.

If the principles the manager is installing are followed, the players/distractions like N'Zogbia/Gabby/Richardson sold or leave through their contract expiring, we will be in decent shape for an immediate promotion push. I truly believe that Garde is the man for the job and he will get the appropriate backing from the club to do what he needs to do to bring us back up.
can we not at least have a little go at staying up though

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
I'm positive as long as Garde remains in charge and we don't get some Championship clogger.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2016, 03:17:50 PM »

I agree with you TV, I don't think we should sell any, but with modern footballers being the what they are i'd be very surprised if the 3 I mentioned stayed, no doubt we will receive some bids for them and unfortunately teams like Leicester, Palace, Stoke, Everton will be all sniffing around us and even grimmer than that is that they are far more attractive clubs than us at the present.

Offline supertom

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »

I agree with you TV, I don't think we should sell any, but with modern footballers being the what they are i'd be very surprised if the 3 I mentioned stayed, no doubt we will receive some bids for them and unfortunately teams like Leicester, Palace, Stoke, Everton will be all sniffing around us and even grimmer than that is that they are far more attractive clubs than us at the present.
The problem is too, if they kick up a stink they're likely to go. They'll probably push for moves.

The other thing to remember about Newcastle is that they were probably paying more for their players than they'd have been offered elsewhere, even if they wanted to move back up to the Premiership.

They're not exactly catching headlines but I'd be very surprised if Gana, Veretout and Ayew weren't catching the eye of predatory managers who'd fancy they could get a good deal in the summer. Leicester may fancy coming back for Veretout for one thing.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2016, 07:40:16 PM »
Not especially.

Manger wise, yes.  Those who purportedly run the club, no.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 08:03:04 PM »
If we keep our main players, which will be a struggle then we can only get better.

Guzan, Bacuna, Westwood, Gestede. All of those will be very easy to replace, my heart tells me that we will have a better team next season and come bouncing back. My head tells me it won't be so easy as at Villa anything can happen.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2016, 08:07:50 PM »
Not especially.

Manger wise, yes.  Those who purportedly run the club, no.

I think the manager might be ok but am dubious about him in the Championship.

I am not convinced many of the squad will be much use next season either. It's one thing to go down narrowly, but unless we improve radically the players will be so used to losing that it's a hard habit to break.

I guess the ex Ligue 1 contingent could all be off, leaving a big rebuilding job.

However, I am yet to be convinced by Veretout but I really want to be. I think his fitness, work rate and passing would need to improve if another club were to see him as a big asset in the Premier League.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2016, 09:30:23 PM »
Just had a thought. In the cup games where we don't expect much of a crowd they don't open the Upper Trinity...presuming the same applies in the Championship?

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2016, 09:37:51 PM »

I'm with four

Edit
But I get what you're saying, Toronto, just still hoping like all of us that it doesn't come to that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:41:02 PM by Louzie04Remi »

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2016, 09:42:04 PM »
Why do we believe we will be able to sign better players than these as a Championship club if we (apparently) cant sign any better this January as a Premier League club?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 09:42:21 PM »

I'm with four

Edit
But I get what you're saying, Toronto, just still hoping like all of us that it doesn't come to that.

We've bought in the square root of FA though. Unless the clueless board think we can stay up with the likes of Kozak as our hit man and Westwood our midfield dynamo then we are buggered.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal