collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 09:51:04 AM]

Gordon Cowans by LeeB
[Today at 09:50:04 AM]

FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 09:51:04 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by LeeB
[Today at 09:50:04 AM]

Re: FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:45:57 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:42:19 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by LeeB
[Today at 09:38:02 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

Re: FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The why aren't we signing a new striker thread....  (Read 26492 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
The why aren't we signing a new striker thread....
« on: January 23, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »
Since the defensive shambles of Everton and Watford we have now conceded 11 goals in our last 9 league games. For a bottom of a table team that is very good going so Remi has done very well there and should be praised. Also co-incides with Okore coming back....

Surely surely the board should be appreciative of that fact and maybe think to themselves...."well if we can dig deep and get in a clinical new striker on loan...." To not do that in the next 10 days will be a disgrace and Fox and co will deserve all the stick at the next fans meet up.

How they can be watching us and think we have enough in the final third is beyond me, we are utterly toothless upfront.

Remi has tightened the defensive structure sufficiently for us to be regularly picking up points now but it's still not enough and he needs help from above.

Offline frank black

Re: The why aren't we signing a new striker thread....
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
Because we are wiping the Arse of the table and a good striker isn't going to join.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 06:01:08 PM »
How do you know we haven't been trying to and they either won't come, or for the quality of player that will the price being asked doesn't make sense?

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 06:04:10 PM »
How do you know we haven't been trying to and they either won't come, or for the quality of player that will the price being asked doesn't make sense?
whatever the price it has to make sense

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 06:05:22 PM »

Isn't that like saying we should have got Pulis in as manager to guarantee survival makes sense?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »

Yes but it's a time issue isn't it? Today with the results going the way they did would've been great to win, the table would've been looking much better again.

We plod on as we are and we'll draw another 3-4 of these games 0-0, 1-0s would give us a shot of staying up.

There are plenty of strikers around europe not playing and need games before the euros, Loic Remy isn't the only one.

I suppose my underlying frustration is this really should've been done on August 31st.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 06:07:41 PM »

Isn't that like saying we should have got Pulis in as manager to guarantee survival makes sense?
not at all , a top drawer striker ,on loan probably, scoring possibly 10 to 15 goals and keeping us up would be pure heaven

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 06:09:04 PM »
That's my point though. We've only heard of the Remy link. How do you know we haven't been afte the types of forward you are referring to? And what we've also learnt from the players we did get in the summer from the continent, they don't always hit the ground running. We don't have time for that so to get a ready made forward has to tick a lot of boxes. It's easy to say just spend the money but it's not guaranteed to deliver the desired results plus we could be stick with the contract if we do go down. We are not the most attractive option right now it has to be said.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 06:09:18 PM »

not at all , a top drawer striker ,on loan probably, scoring possibly 10 to 15 goals and keeping us up would be pure heaven

Well off course it would be. And likely pure fantasy. I don't doubt for a second we tried to get to get Remy and we still might but it will depend on Chelsea getting someone in. That scenario in January with a lot of clubs is quite common.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:10:53 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »
It's not like popping to the shops for a loaf of bread. You do realise that don't you?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 06:11:34 PM »
That's my point though. We've only heard of the Remy link. How do you know we haven't been afte the types of forward you are referring to? And what we've also learnt from the players we did get in the summer from the continent, they don't always hit the ground running. We don't have time for that so to get a ready made forward has to tick a lot of boxes. It's easy to say just spend the money but it's not guaranteed to deliver the desired results plus we could be stick with the contract if we do go down. We are not the most attractive option right now it has to be said.

I'm not saying spend the money though....a short term loan option to give us a boost and win us some games is what I'm after.

Must admit I did have reservations about Afobe and whether he could do it in the prem but he's scored 2 in 3 and is winning Bournemouth points.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 06:12:08 PM »
agree totally tv but theres 10s of millions at stake here,not to mention aston villa as a whole

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »
I expect that we will bring one in - Gestede's injury will pretty much guarantee that now.

It all comes down to who we would want. I'm pretty certain that if we have asked Danny Graham, Nick Blackman or Gary Hooper at the start of January then they'd have jumped at the chance to come to us.

If we'd asked Loic Remy at the start of January, he's going to keep his options open to see if somebody with better prospects fancies him instead.

Although I'd have been more than happy with Dame N'Doye who went to Sunderland.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 06:14:31 PM »
I think we have no chance of attracting anyone of the sufficient quality to make a difference given our situation. I'm sure we could go and sign someone equivalent to Jordan Bowery, but there's no point in that.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 06:15:19 PM »
One word. Three letters. Who?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal