collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stanley Victor Collymore  (Read 101097 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Stanley Victor Collymore
« Reply #750 on: July 25, 2016, 09:01:19 PM »
I'm not defending the Ulrika thing but he slapped her and paid ever since. He'll regret it every day but no one crucifies Gazza for hitting Cheryl

It was more than a slap. She was punched and kicked in the head. He's a charmer our Stan...

Which can be if not explained by his illness be caused because of his illness. Depression can make the sufferer feel a range of debilitating emotions on the same violent timeline from irrational irritability, through to deep rooted hatred, to violent outbursts. It doesn't need to be caused by what the sufferer sees somebody else see or do (Ulrika chatting to Ally McCoist) but the inability to deal with the internal emotions that have no bearing on the outside world and what is happening at any given time.

just to think you could explain it as some bloke is hitting some women is doing yourself and every sufferer of the illness an injustice. it also shows your ignorance of the illness.

Christ I'm going to have to lie down, I'm agreeing with peter w.

Okore's a wanker.

May as well throw it in.

Offline peter w

« Reply #751 on: July 25, 2016, 09:04:25 PM »
I'm not defending the Ulrika thing but he slapped her and paid ever since. He'll regret it every day but no one crucifies Gazza for hitting Cheryl

It was more than a slap. She was punched and kicked in the head. He's a charmer our Stan...

Which can be if not explained by his illness but be caused by his illness. Depression can make the sufferer feel a range of debilitating emotions on the same violent timeline from irrational irritability, through to deep rooted hatred, to violent outbursts. It doesn't need to be caused by what the sufferer sees somebody else see or do (Ulrika chatting to Ally McCoist) but the inability to deal with the internal emotions that have no bearing on the outside world and what is happening at any given time.

just to think you could explain it as some bloke hitting some woman, is doing yourself and every sufferer of the illness an injustice. it also shows your ignorance of the illness.

That last paragraph doesn't even make any sense.

Probably does now.

Unlike your stance on this.

Offline peter w

« Reply #752 on: July 25, 2016, 09:08:20 PM »
Just one more point and I promise I'll not comment on this thread again. How do you shoehorn into your mitigation the fact that Stan was drinking at the time of the incident?

It has no bearing on it.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #753 on: July 25, 2016, 11:28:47 PM »
I assume you're implying that it was the fact that he was pissed rather than a depressive episode that led to the incident.

In my experience, generally drink takes any depressive tendencies and amplifies them. Especially the more nihilistic tendencies.

I can't remember if he was diagnosed at that point, but if he was on some of the SSRI treatments such as Citalopram then the depressive tendencies can be rapidly amplified in some people

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #754 on: July 25, 2016, 11:30:09 PM »

Which can be if not explained by his illness be caused because of his illness. Depression can make the sufferer feel a range of debilitating emotions on the same violent timeline from irrational irritability, through to deep rooted hatred, to violent outbursts. It doesn't need to be caused by what the sufferer sees somebody else see or do (Ulrika chatting to Ally McCoist) but the inability to deal with the internal emotions that have no bearing on the outside world and what is happening at any given time.

just to think you could explain it as some bloke is hitting some women is doing yourself and every sufferer of the illness an injustice. it also shows your ignorance of the illness.

Christ I'm going to have to lie down, I'm agreeing with peter w.

Okore's a wanker.

May as well throw it in.

So are people who still believe in the blessed St Eric of Blackness. Purveyor of bullshit and bollocks to anyone who'll listen. ;)

Offline peter w

« Reply #755 on: July 26, 2016, 06:28:48 AM »
I assume you're implying that it was the fact that he was pissed rather than a depressive episode that led to the incident.

In my experience, generally drink takes any depressive tendencies and amplifies them. Especially the more nihilistic tendencies.

I can't remember if he was diagnosed at that point, but if he was on some of the SSRI treatments such as Citalopram then the depressive tendencies can be rapidly amplified in some people

Me? Quite the opposite. Drink amplifies any tendencies as most will know, but it doesn't bring on the state of mind of the depressive. In fact its very rare that a sufferer from depression will be able to drink enough on a night out for that to influence their behaviour. At home, in their solitude, it is more likely to be the case. But out with other people the depression will mean they actually probably drink less than usual due to wanting to be left alone, not go to a bar to order for themselves (so they don't have to interact with bar staff), not wanting to be talked to so not asked if they want a drink - thus drinking very slowly...obviously this is not the case for every person in every situation - but if Collymore was at the rage stage that would have had nothing to do with excessive alcohol.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #756 on: July 26, 2016, 07:47:58 AM »

Me? Quite the opposite. Drink amplifies any tendencies as most will know, but it doesn't bring on the state of mind of the depressive. In fact its very rare that a sufferer from depression will be able to drink enough on a night out for that to influence their behaviour. At home, in their solitude, it is more likely to be the case. But out with other people the depression will mean they actually probably drink less than usual due to wanting to be left alone, not go to a bar to order for themselves (so they don't have to interact with bar staff), not wanting to be talked to so not asked if they want a drink - thus drinking very slowly...obviously this is not the case for every person in every situation - but if Collymore was at the rage stage that would have had nothing to do with excessive alcohol.

Are you being serious?

Excess alcohol has nothing to do with violent massive over reaction!

Nothing at all?

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #757 on: July 26, 2016, 08:56:37 AM »
Hmmm, having known a few people suffering from depression i'm not sure violence to others is part of most people's symptons and they wouldn't be too pleased to think others thought that they would suddenly attack them at the drop of the hat with or without alcohol.  Getting a serious illness whether that be depression or cancer etc., is non-discriminatory so it tends to happen to as many assholes as nice people and in SVC's case  i'd say the illness only amplified his actions not created them.

Offline peter w

« Reply #758 on: July 26, 2016, 09:33:20 AM »

Are you being serious?

Nothing at all?

That's a different question. I'm talking about a depressive's state of mind. it's very rare that if they are having an episode that is making them feel vulnerable they are in any position to drink copious amounts of alcohol surrounded by people. When they get home then they will drink more for comfort, to punish themselves whatever. But no, it is highly unlikely that in Collymore's case that excessive alcohol contributed to his violent reaction.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #759 on: July 26, 2016, 10:48:38 AM »

I think every landlord in the country would disagree.

Even small amounts of alcohol always play a part.

Offline peter w

« Reply #760 on: July 26, 2016, 11:22:38 AM »
Well unless every landlord has a psychology degree or is a behaviourist then I think other than pulling pints their opinion hardly counts.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #761 on: July 26, 2016, 12:30:05 PM »
Well unless every landlord has a psychology degree or is a behaviourist then I think other than pulling pints their opinion hardly counts.

So their years of experience of human behaviour counts for nothing?

Are you being serious?

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #762 on: July 26, 2016, 04:59:49 PM »
Just one more point and I promise I'll not comment on this thread again. How do you shoehorn into your mitigation the fact that Stan was drinking at the time of the incident?

It has no bearing on it.

Rubbish. And you know it.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #763 on: July 26, 2016, 05:15:16 PM »

Are you being serious?

Nothing at all?

That's a different question. I'm talking about a depressive's state of mind. it's very rare that if they are having an episode that is making them feel vulnerable they are in any position to drink copious amounts of alcohol surrounded by people. When they get home then they will drink more for comfort, to punish themselves whatever. But no, it is highly unlikely that in Collymore's case that excessive alcohol contributed to his violent reaction.

I was beginning to think you might know what you're talking about for a minute...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:20:15 PM by Stirchley Villain »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #764 on: July 26, 2016, 05:50:02 PM »
Come on, you know as well as I do "that I heard it from a bloke down the pub" is gospel and can not be challenged.
So a landlord that is in the pub all the time must be, the font of all knowledge.
Cheers!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal