collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Parachute Payments  (Read 8234 times)

Offline oldhill_avfc

Re: Parachute Payments
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 06:05:50 PM »
You're absolutely right that a well run club allows you to compete and undoubtedly out perform clubs who're mismanaged.

You make a point about salaries being scalable, but this is not the issue.  The cost of signings is the problem. 

The clubs that stay up will use some of their cash to buy players that we wont be able to afford.  Their squads will get relatively stronger as a result and create a gap which although not impossible to bridge will be harder no matter how well run we may become.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 06:13:51 PM »
You're absolutely right that a well run club allows you to compete and undoubtedly out perform clubs who're mismanaged.

You make a point about salaries being scalable, but this is not the issue.  The cost of signings is the problem. 

The clubs that stay up will use some of their cash to buy players that we wont be able to afford.  Their squads will get relatively stronger as a result and create a gap which although not impossible to bridge will be harder no matter how well run we may become.

So how do you explain Watford being on 29 points already despite their lack of buying power over the past few years? 

There are two things to bear in mind - (1) getting promoted from the Championship involves being one of the best 3 teams in the Championship, and Premier League TV money has absolutely no bearing on that; and (2) the quality of a team is more than just the money spent on it - we were something like the 4th or 5th highest spenders last Summer and look how that panned out.

I agree that a long time spent outside the top flight will make life more difficult for us, but getting relegated isn't the cataclysmic event that it's sometimes portrayed as.  Unless Newcastle come down with us we'll be comfortably the biggest club in the Championship, with the biggest ground, the most fans, the best set up (Executive board aside!), etc, etc.  If the people that matter get a grip on things and run the club properly we should be back in a sensible time frame and once back in the Prem should have no issue staying up.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 09:48:51 PM »
This money argument is bunk. The more clubs earn/are paid the more they have to give out in fees and wages. Our recovery will depend on good sound management rather than money. No point in slashing our wrists over  £32/100 million issue.
so which would you rather have 32 or a 100? Tough question eh?
Oh OK I hope we survive this year by the skin of our teeth and get relegated next season as it would be wonderful!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 11:25:42 PM »
The numbers aren't correct. Until such a time as the overseas rights are flogged nobody knows what the exact figures are. However, parachute payments run at 55%, 45% and 20% of what each Premier League club gets.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 11:32:36 PM »
Under Lerner nothing would change if we stayed up, we wouldn't be spending 100m a summer again would we? It would be 20m net or whatever the average figure it has been for last 5 years.

How would we fall into line with FFP in the championship? Would we meet regulations or get a transfer embargo like recently relegated clubs like Blackburn and Cardiff (QPR should have one aswell but they seem to be a special case for some odd reason).

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 09:54:48 PM »
To get out of the Championship and stay in the Premier League you need a good balance squad that can play football.  You can then survive injuries or some of your players being cherry-picked.  Relying on a few individuals (just as we have in the last couple of seasons) exposes you if you lose them.

With the high finances involved in football these days and possibly going from feast to famine, is it time that relegation/promotion is reduced back to two teams.  When you consider it used to be 2 from 22 and now it is 3 from 20, it adds to the excitement for neutral fans but is it actually ruining football because of the high stakes leading to constant change.

Offline Fred

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »
Heard on the radio this morning that the team finishing bottom of the Premier League this season gets (roughly) the following:

• £32m 'prize' fund.
  • £32m parachute payment in year 1
  • £14m parachute payment in year 2
  • £14m parachute payment in year 3

frightening when you think that the bottom club next season gets £100 million

What a season to get yourself relegated.

'Twas ever thus. Every season, every new deal, is The One that will cast you into an eternal void if you miss it.   

It's one hell of a leap from £32m to £100m though.

It is, but I'm reminded of a chairman a few years ago (it might have been John Madjeski) who, when asked about the Championship play-off being worth something like £60 million, replied, "Maybe, but that's forgetting the extra £50 million you have to pay out."

I think it was Alan Sugar who said to the other 19 chairman when going thorugh the TV deals on the table "3 million or 3 Billion, we will all p/ss it up the wall on player wages"

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 01:49:55 PM »

I think it was Alan Sugar who said to the other 19 chairman when going thorugh the TV deals on the table "3 million or 3 Billion, we will all p/ss it up the wall on player wages"

The prune juice effect he called it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:15:36 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 03:00:35 PM »
As it stands 2 of the clubs who went down Hull and Burnley are looking strong candidates to come back up as opposed to the very poorly run QPR who are hovering around mid table. Neither club lost many of their top players and after sluggish starts their quality is telling.The money should give us a massive advantage and we will likely be far and away the biggest club in the league so that alone will help us attract the better players.

Staying in prem league is not just about money , the same as winning it is not just about the money ( though it helps ) you need good scouts , good coaching and good management.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 03:09:18 PM »
A bit nihilistic, but all this talk of parachute payments makes me feel dirty. It's a bit like when Champions League clubs are knocked out but then grafted in to the Europa League. I think it's an unfair advantage (not just for Villa, for whoever is awarded it).

I might have it upside down but I can't wait for football to crash, go bust and we can maybe get our sport back.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2016, 03:35:41 PM »
As it stands 2 of the clubs who went down Hull and Burnley are looking strong candidates to come back up as opposed to the very poorly run QPR who are hovering around mid table. Neither club lost many of their top players and after sluggish starts their quality is telling.The money should give us a massive advantage and we will likely be far and away the biggest club in the league so that alone will help us attract the better players.

Staying in prem league is not just about money , the same as winning it is not just about the money ( though it helps ) you need good scouts , good coaching and good management.

We have to maximise this by getting promoted at the first or second attempt. Once you've been down a few years you blend in, like Leeds.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 04:02:44 PM »
A bit nihilistic, but all this talk of parachute payments makes me feel dirty. It's a bit like when Champions League clubs are knocked out but then grafted in to the Europa League. I think it's an unfair advantage (not just for Villa, for whoever is awarded it).

I might have it upside down but I can't wait for football to crash, go bust and we can maybe get our sport back.

Agreed

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2016, 09:44:19 PM »
IF we can get to a position ASAP where we look a good bet for promotion at the first try - we will be a reasonably attractive proposition for some of the better Championship players -   especially this time of year .

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 10:20:38 PM »
It doesn't take many N'Zogbias to cancel out the difference between £32 million and £100 million.  I have found the secret of accumulating wealth is not how much you get in but how much of it you keep.  The legendary JJ Gallagher once said to me it's not the deals you do that make you rich, it's the ones you don't do.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal