collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: atmosphere at the ground  (Read 7377 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: atmosphere at the ground
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 09:57:32 PM »
Your username definitely does.   I respectfully suggest Bono or Coopers Head Injury.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 10:04:50 PM »
One very noticeable thing is there are very few player chants these days, probably because they're not very good! Ayew is probably our best player and 'Boom Boom Boom let me hear ya say Ayew, Ayew!' is an easy one.

Holte Enders In The Sky gets sung far too often. Whatever happened to the good old "Villa *clap* Villa *clap*"? Or "Come on you Lions"?

Would there be anything less inspiring than singing about Ashley Westwood?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 10:10:46 PM »
One very noticeable thing is there are very few player chants these days, probably because they're not very good! Ayew is probably our best player and 'Boom Boom Boom let me hear ya say Ayew, Ayew!' is an easy one.

Holte Enders In The Sky gets sung far too often. Whatever happened to the good old "Villa *clap* Villa *clap*"? Or "Come on you Lions"?

He,s here He's there and no one really cares- Ashley Westwood

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 10:28:10 PM »

Singing about Kieron Richardson?

Offline Chris Stares

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 11:17:06 PM »

yeah I miss "come on you lions" Also I never sing "birmingham are you listening" as it plays straight into the hands of the Blues jibe "your not a proper Birmingham club" I sing my own version which goes "small heath are you listening" etc etc. You never know it might catch on. ;)
We always bring out the "Come on you Lions!" chant from the back of L4 whenever we have a corner.  Usually a few in and around us join in but never gets sustained, unfortunately.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 08:11:21 AM »

yeah I miss "come on you lions" Also I never sing "birmingham are you listening" as it plays straight into the hands of the Blues jibe "your not a proper Birmingham club" I sing my own version which goes "small heath are you listening" etc etc. You never know it might catch on. ;)
We always bring out the "Come on you Lions!" chant from the back of L4 whenever we have a corner.  Usually a few in and around us join in but never gets sustained, unfortunately.

Keep it up, you never know.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 09:31:09 AM »
"Come on you Lions" got sang against Palace, fairly loud too.  First time I heard it in ages.

Let's keep it up.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 10:11:28 AM »
Just don't bring out the drum and/or plastic hand clappers please

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 11:26:59 AM »
"Come on you Lions" got sang against Palace, fairly loud too.  First time I heard it in ages.

Let's keep it up.
Best way to get songs going or reintroduced is at away games. Sing "come on you Lions" on Saturday at Albion and it will soon catch on again.

Speaking of songs on Saturday all I've heard off my Albion 'mates' at work is "can't wait to sing that 'we'll meet again' song to you when we play you". So lets sing it to them about ourselves 👍

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 12:52:41 PM »
Yeah I'd play a second string as well. To be honest I'm not bothered about the Cup this season. Save our better players for the Albion game.

As we're clearly going down, we should pull out all the stops to win the FA Cup.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 01:02:40 PM »

I always assume "Birmingham are you listening" is addressed to Birmingham the place:

Birmingham [the place] are you listening
To the song we [that is the Villa your top team] are singing
We're walking along etc etc

Offline conman

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2016, 02:23:29 PM »

Let's keep it up.
Best way to get songs going or reintroduced is at away games. Sing "come on you Lions" on Saturday at Albion and it will soon catch on again.

Speaking of songs on Saturday all I've heard off my Albion 'mates' at work is "can't wait to sing that 'we'll meet again' song to you when we play you". So lets sing it to them about ourselves 👍
I think saturday will see the return of fuck the albion for most of the match
shame we dont sing oh i do like to be beside the seaside any more

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2016, 02:25:51 PM »

It was generally sung when we had a corner in the old days. Nice to see traditions being respected.

Offline bruisedshins

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 03:46:22 PM »
It's all about songs taking off and being taken up by others. I remember a few years back a group of lads in the lower Holte were singing the ring of fire tune, despite few others joining in they kept singing, after about 5 minutes of constant singing others finally joined in and it took off. It was the same before we got banned with Brigada, you'd sing and sometimes no one would join in, the song would quieten down and then get louder again and eventually it'd get taken up by others.

I think with the Holte it's such a vast stand that anything other than the usual like "Holte Enders in the Sky" or "Villa, Villa, Villa, Villa" rarely takes off, sound doesn't carry that well either.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 06:57:01 PM »

I always assume "Birmingham are you listening" is addressed to Birmingham the place:

Birmingham [the place] are you listening
To the song we [that is the Villa your top team] are singing
We're walking along etc etc
Nah "birmingham are you listening" is aimed straight at blues not the city of birmingham. Us singing "birmingham are you listening?" to them implies were not from Birmingham. Get it? That's what the noses round here say an I live in B7.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal