collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New chairman and Lerner ramblings  (Read 78832 times)

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Re: New chairman and Lerner ramblings
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »
Interesting. Does this mean we are no longer officially for sale?

Does it also indicate the end of Lerner putting any of his own funding in (which he has done still on the debt side last season)?

Doesn't say we're not so id imagine the status quo remains.

As for funding, that's Lerners investment at B6 going down the tubes so again we're at his mercy. He's never really let us down before on that score though, it's the numpties that have spent and decided playing strategies that have done that.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 12:36:01 PM »
Yes, we will,have to wait and see.
For me, the biggest concern is just how much power has he got?
Is he just a figurehead to face off to the public instead of Lerner, or will he have real power?
Will he have control over the purse strings ?
Will he have the power to hire and fire?
Are Fox and Remi accountable to him?

One of my biggest issues at the moment is how there is no accountability at the club. Fox appears accountable to no-one because his boss, Lerner, doesn't really give a shit.

Hopefully, this will be the beginning of building a leadership team that works together, has a plan and vision for success ON THE PITCH, as well as off, and are accountable for these results.

The first thing Mr.Hollis should do is approach Graham Taylor or Big Ron (or similar) and ask if they will join this leadership team/board.

A knowledgeable football person involved at the top level of our club is absolutely crucial, because we have gone far too long without that knowledge and experience.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »
Is he just a figurehead to face off to the public instead of Lerner, or will he have real power?

One of my biggest issues at the moment is how there is no accountability at the club. Fox appears accountable to no-one because his boss, Lerner, doesn't really give a shit.

Hopefully, this will be the beginning of building a leadership team that works together, has a plan and vision for success ON THE PITCH, as well as off, and are accountable for these results.

The first thing Mr.Hollis should do is approach Graham Taylor or Big Ron (or similar) and ask if they will join this leadership team/board.

A knowledgeable football person involved at the top level of our club is absolutely crucial, because we have gone far too long without that knowledge and experience.

Yeah I'd go with that.  Big Ron and Andy Gray would be ideal.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »

All good questions.  It has also been said that there will be a new board member?  Maybe this will be the "football man"?  But that would be my additional question, are we still getting this new board member?

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2016, 12:40:28 PM »

I would welcome this. Just someone with an idea about players, agents, fans; and who Villa truly are as a club. Sir Graham Taylor has served Watford really well, I wonder if he'd be up for dragging us out of a hole again?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »
Lerner still sounds a bit like Roger Irrelevant. Wibble.

Not sure about the 'money no longer buys success' line, it's only this season so 'doesn't always mean success' might be more like it. Welcome anyway Steve, hopefully you can improve things.

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2016, 12:42:38 PM »
Ideal role for Big Ron this IMO. Always been a great figurehead and know the game and the Villa.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »
I never know why people are so keen to appoint people that have been out of the game for ages. I like Taylor but his last spell was poor and he's only going to have become more out of touch since.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »
Ideal role for Big Ron this IMO. Always been a great figurehead and know the game and the Villa.

Appointing a well known racist is what we need to bring crowds flocking back in multicultural Birmingham.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »
What about Steve Stride?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 12:46:28 PM »
Nope. Again he's been out of the game for ages. The desperation to appoint someone, anyone, with a Villa connection reeks of Newcastle.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 12:48:05 PM »
Oh ok then. That's the end of that.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2016, 12:48:50 PM »
Here is his Bloomberg profile:

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=30033503&privcapId=9964456

Also please tell me people are not serious when they suggest Big Ron.

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
It was stated in a Times article a few months ago that there was a general perception that the Administration/ Club Organisation/ Sales etc staff at Villa park had become very complacent ( slack ) , there was specific mention of Players training kit not being washed and ready for  a training session.
Hopefully, when Steve Hollis talks of ' root and branch' re-organisation at the Club, this is something he will address as a matter of urgency. 
Aston Villa have been seen as a ' nice and cosy ' or, as the Americans would say,
" a Mom & Pop ' operation  for far too long.........Godzvilla!

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
Lerner still sounds a bit like Roger Irrelevant. .

Not sure about the 'money no longer buys success' line, it's only this season so 'doesn't always mean success' might be more like it. Welcome anyway Steve, hopefully you can improve things.

I'm taking that line to mean that with solid plans in place, a unified front and a hard working philosophy you can go places, like Leicester, Palace and Southampton have without spending a fortune.

Hasn't that often been the case up till a few years ago.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal