collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players to build the team around next season?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Players to build the team around next season?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 12:58:48 AM »
With the fees going around - 15m touted for Andre Gray at Burnley, then if Ayew does go, we should be naming a price well in advance of 15m for him. He is worth that and more to us to help us back up.

Offline Darlo Dave

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 12:34:53 PM »
With the fees going around - 15m touted for Andre Gray at Burnley, then if Ayew does go, we should be naming a price well in advance of 15m for him. He is worth that and more to us to help us back up.

Knowing out board, He'll have a 25p buy out claus.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »
Okore, Amavi, Veretout, Ayew, Grealish, Adama - first team. The rest happy to see moved on.

Offline levico

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 02:03:59 PM »
Not sure about Gil in the Championship. Very skilful (well on his left foot) but not robust enough for me.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 02:06:31 PM »
Ayew, Amavi, Veretout as starters. Traore as potential.

I agree with this. The good things about this season are pretty much down to these players and Gil when he is on form.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 06:50:17 PM »
Okore, Amavi, Veretout, Ayew, Grealish, Adama - first team. The rest happy to see moved on.

There is the making of a very decent team there, it just lacks a spine. The manager should have seen that before the season ever started that it needed beefing up right down the middle of the team with some real leadership.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 06:07:59 PM »
My big concern is losing players we don't want to in the summer. Garde's toughest task may be convincing them of the merits of the "project".

There are wage reduction clauses in the event of relegation. Doubtless though, there are buy out clauses that go hand in hand with them.

I imagine us putting a run together, and still going, being the worst of all world's.  Players attracting attention they wouldn't have done otherwise etc.

Offline frank black

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 07:05:01 PM »
Ayew will be gone as he is a good player and we will take the cash.

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 09:11:45 PM »
We need to sign Zac Clough too

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 10:19:54 PM »
I think the 'big, hard bastards for the Championship' is something of a myth. Recent seasons have seen the best football team win not the cloggers. How many teams have been promoted in recent seasons playing football the right way?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 10:36:57 PM »
My big concern is losing players we don't want to in the summer. Garde's toughest task may be convincing them of the merits of the "project".

There are wage reduction clauses in the event of relegation. Doubtless though, there are buy out clauses that go hand in hand with them.

I imagine us putting a run together, and still going, being the worst of all world's.  Players attracting attention they wouldn't have done otherwise etc.

I think the bit in bold is the key.

Wage reductions, buy out clauses etc. are only terms in a contract.  The club does not have to enforce the wage reductions on certain players if they do not want to.  As an example, they could agree a new contract with Ayew but stick to the terms in Gabby's contract (assuming there is a wage reduction term).  If Gabby does not like the fact that he is not one of those with new contracts, he has the right to ask for a transfer.  Perhaps it might be a way of getting higher earners that are not part of the future out of the club.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 01:04:42 PM »
I think the 'big, hard bastards for the Championship' is something of a myth. Recent seasons have seen the best football team win not the cloggers. How many teams have been promoted in recent seasons playing football the right way?

Which is why Garde should be kept. He wants to play in the "right" way. What we have to do is show Garde that we will back him up and get the players in that he wants.

I would be selling the vision of us going back up to Veretout and Ayew and getting them to give us a season. If they don't then agree to a release amount the summer after.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 02:46:12 PM »

Precisely it's a lazy myth based on assumptions from about 15 years ago +.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »

I'd add Gil, Kozak and Gana as I think they will be more than good enough for the championship and I'm happy to keep a few others as squad players.  We really don't want or need to have another summer where we have 10-15 go each way so maybe 3-4 signings (keeper, central defender, midfielder and a stirker if we don't think Gestede can recreate the championship form that made us buy him), 7-8 sales and use some of the youngsters to bulk out the squad, I'd like to see how Hepburn-Murphy could get on for example because he seems to have stepped up this year.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 06:20:33 PM »

Precisely it's a lazy myth based on assumptions from about 15 years ago +.

This is absolutely true. Also a myth is the idea that you need a Steve Bruce-type 'championship' manager to get you out of the division. The two best teams are managed by Karanka and Clement, neither of whom had prior experience of managing in the division. If we keep our most skilful players (Ayew, Veretout, Gueye, Amavi, Gil, Grealish, Adama, Okore etc.) and build them around some reliability like the Lescotts of this world, I think we can quite easily play - not fight - our way out of the Championship next year.

That's if we go down that is ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal