collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Graham Taylor  (Read 35037 times)

Offline damien

Re: Graham Taylor
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2016, 06:08:11 PM »
Damien, Dave Woodhall can add greater detail but as much as the appointment was inspired in the end I don't think Doug had Taylor in mind as his first choice.

Toronoto Villa. I would be most interested to hear what Dave says about that. A fascinating period in Villa's history. Maybe I am wrong about Doug going all out for GT. I remember that era quite vividly and do recall that Dave Bassett was in the running, but getting GT was seen as a bit of a coup because Watford were very much on the up at that time.

Fact remains though that he was the right manager at the right time. He came in and said something to the effect of Villa being rotten to the core.

That assessment feels quite familiar at the current time. We clearly need someone with that depth of feeling for the club to come in and do likewise. I like Remi Garde but I just can't see him ruffling feathers in that manner, and dragging the club kicking and screaming out of it's current malaise.

Precised, Dick Taylor was an old friend of Sir Graham's from his Scunthorpe days and kept a sports shop on Witton Road. He found out that Graham was looking to leave Watford (he thought he'd taken them as far as he could and neeed a bash at a bigger club to improve his chances of the England job) and tipped off Doug.

Thanks for the insight Dave. Never knew that. A great strory and one that turned out well for all parties, except the England bit of course,

Offline A Northern Soul

• Xxx
  • GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2016, 11:07:23 PM »
In my fantasy world where I win the biggest Euromillions jackpot ever and take over the Villa I have two jobs to do on day one:

Ring Graham Taylor and ask him if he wants a job then ring Steve Stride and ask him the same.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2016, 11:35:46 PM »
I love the sentimental feeling but I'd be getting in David Dein plus even a prick like Peter Kenyon. I want winners. I'm so tired of losing.

Offline damien

« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2016, 12:31:51 AM »
Damien, Dave Woodhall can add greater detail but as much as the appointment was inspired in the end I don't think Doug had Taylor in mind as his first choice.

Toronoto Villa. I would be most interested to hear what Dave says about that. A fascinating period in Villa's history. Maybe I am wrong about Doug going all out for GT. I remember that era quite vividly and do recall that Dave Bassett was in the running, but getting GT was seen as a bit of a coup because Watford were very much on the up at that time.

Fact remains though that he was the right manager at the right time. He came in and said something to the effect of Villa being rotten to the core.

That assessment feels quite familiar at the current time. We clearly need someone with that depth of feeling for the club to come in and do likewise. I like Remi Garde but I just can't see him ruffling feathers in that manner, and dragging the club kicking and screaming out of it's current malaise.

Precised, Dick Taylor was an old friend of Sir Graham's from his Scunthorpe days and kept a sports shop on Witton Road. He found out that Graham was looking to leave Watford (he thought he'd taken them as far as he could and neeed a bash at a bigger club to improve his chances of the England job) and tipped off Doug.

Thanks for the insight Dave. Never knew that. A great strory and one that turned out well for all parties, except the England bit of course,

A Northern Soul......That's the 1st thing i'd do too. Steve Stride loves Villa almost as much as me. He and GT would be such superb appointments. And then I checked twitter and that tool Fox is still running Villa and making every **** up imaginable. Nice to lose myself for a moment and dream about that for a short while. Apologies for any grammatical errors........ been drowning my sorrows today.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2016, 03:04:55 AM »
What would we all give for a 1987 version of SGT back at the club next season?

And another no-mark from Crewe and a calypso kid from Trinidad and Tobago.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:05:36 AM by robbo1874 »

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2016, 08:14:21 AM »
What would we all give for a 1987 version of SGT back at the club next season?

And another no-mark from Crewe and a calypso kid from Trinidad and Tobago.

[cheapshot]We've already got one of those[/cheapshot]

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2016, 08:22:51 AM »
That's why I said another  VID

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2016, 08:23:39 AM »
Turned out alright though eh?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2016, 12:30:55 PM »
The Milan Game was not the best display, if I remember correctly a Russian linesman did not flag when the ball went out over the goal line
and the subsequent cross ended up in our net. with Cascarino missing a good chance it was never going to be easy, But the journey back
to the airport was subdued and when we got our return tickets from the travel club we got into the transfer bus only to find sir Graham standing there and had lots of encouraging words for my 12 year old son. when we were on the plane just after take off sir graham got up
to go to the loo at the back, he was talking to all the fans and had to run back to his seat to land at Bham, he truly gave his time and kind words to all. I will never forget that

You were lucky.  I came back on a coach on my own.  It was a long trip after that defeat.

So did we, £88 if I recall correctly.

We went with Premier, great sing song and piss up on the ferry over, one night stay on the French/Italian border with another great piss up in a french bar.

Just a few brief stops on the way back due to the rather flat mood. Sleep was very difficult, I remember a few of us taking it turns to lie on the floor and try and nod off. The only issue is that we lay directly above the gear box and the driver had resorted to the "if you can't find 'em, grind 'em" method of changing gear.

I went with Premier as well, we were kicked out of the hotel on Lake Garda the night before the game having booked for the few days after as well.

Yep, free the Lake Garda 52!! We never did get a refund on that from recollection.

My brothers' work mates did the Lake Garda trip, I remember them saying there was a lad who'd bee knicked for some fairly minor incident but he'd done a runner with the cuffs still on, and he'd been found hiding under the bed in his mates room.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2016, 03:28:37 PM »
From recollection, Premier had booked the hotel as it was between Milan and Verona where UEFA were threatening to make Inter play when the draw was made due to some crowd aggro at a previous home game. Now Premier also ran coach trips to concerts etc and I dont think they had been entirely open with the hotel about the make up of the booking, they were expecting a load of Phil Collins fans, remember that this was pretty soon after England fans had played up at Italia 90 so it was fresh in the memory. When we got there the hotel owners were not happy at all and it was pretty clear that they were looking for a reason to get rid of us.

The coach all went out on the piss and had a great night in the local bars and behaved very well, then some went back to the hotel and someone opened a beer bottle on a door frame and split it, this was seen by staff, the Police called and we were all ejected. I cant mind anyone being nicked for it.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2016, 08:44:17 PM »

My brothers' work mates did the Lake Garda trip, I remember them saying there was a lad who'd bee knicked for some fairly minor incident but he'd done a runner with the cuffs still on, and he'd been found hiding under the bed in his mates room.

Unless there was two of them, that was on our trip which stopped in France. And guess who was the coach steward who had to go and get him out of the police station?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2016, 08:51:03 PM »

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2016, 08:59:39 PM »
I hate you (Doc) Butler.

Offline supertom

« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2016, 09:39:26 PM »
I was gonna listen to this podcast out of curiosity but not only does it have Jimmy Bullard on it, but you'd have to listen to that gobshite "comedian" Rob Beckett. Jesus. That's piss poor that is.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2016, 10:15:19 AM »

Unless there was two of them, that was on our trip which stopped in France. And guess who was the coach steward who had to go and get him out of the police station?

Ha ha, you're probably right with the destination.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal