collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Graham Taylor  (Read 34903 times)

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
Re: Graham Taylor
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 09:56:49 AM »
I'll have a watch of that later. Probably my favourite Villa manager. The treatment he got when he was England manager was shameful.

It was nothing short of disgusting in the way Graham Taylor was portrayed and ridiculed by the media.

Shameful bunch of bastards.

Online onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »
I do miss him.

Offline ez

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 10:28:17 AM »
I'd love him back at the club but it wouldn't be nice to dump another shambles on him and ask him to sort it out.

Offline john robsons sideburns

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 11:28:07 AM »
You'll never get a more honest and down to earth man, if you look back at those England games with Holland, so many disgraceful decisions went against us, clear cut decisions, and he was haranged over it.  He wasn't the best England manager, but he sure wasn't the worst.

Strange that in this programme there is absolutely nothing about the successful seasons at Villa, yet it covered every other spell of management in his life.  That's a shame as I was looking forward to seeing the lanky twins Olney and Ormondroyd, with Chrissie Price and Derek Mountfield strutting their stuff. 

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 11:35:23 AM »
The channel it was on explains why there was nothing from 1987-90.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »
You'll never get a more honest and down to earth man, if you look back at those England games with Holland, so many disgraceful decisions went against us, clear cut decisions, and he was haranged over it.  He wasn't the best England manager, but he sure wasn't the worst.

Strange that in this programme there is absolutely nothing about the successful seasons at Villa, yet it covered every other spell of management in his life.  That's a shame as I was looking forward to seeing the lanky twins Olney and Ormondroyd, with Chrissie Price and Derek Mountfield strutting their stuff.

He wasn't the worst - Keegan and McLaren were much worse, and they had the luxury of knowing the mechanics of international football prior to being hired.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
As he said, "Nobody talks about what I did with Watford, or Villa, or Watford again, or the most successful start to the England job ever. All they remember is seven seconds against San Marino and that documentary."

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 01:17:54 PM »
Surely it's "Sir" Graham?

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 01:20:14 PM »
As he said, "Nobody talks about what I did with Watford, or Villa, or Watford again, or the most successful start to the England job ever. All they remember is seven seconds against San Marino and that documentary."

And no one ever remembers that Harry Rednapp took Saints down.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 01:20:42 PM »

Did he take Pompey down as well?

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
Graham Taylor is one of only one, true, genuine top-flight football men that I can think of at this precise moment.  I may think of others later but for now he's the only one.

IMO, despite not winning any silverware, SGT belongs up there with all our past great Villa men.  Sometimes it's not about trophies, it's about overseeing an ailing football club and carrying out a root and branch cull to ensure the club stays alive and regenerates.  This is what he did.

I never think about his spell as England manager or read anything about it.  It proves conclusively to me that the majority of national sports journalists know fuck all about football so I never bother.  To me, he's on a par with the great Ron Saunders, he poured life into a near terminal case.  I would love to meet him.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »

And QPR twice.

And also the reason he was sacked by West Ham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000%E2%80%9301_West_Ham_United_F.C._season

in one of the most poor seasons in the history of the top flight.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 01:24:17 PM »
And QPR.

Edit, Rob beat me too it. Didn't know it was twice.

And yes, it should be "Sir Graham."

Offline Fred

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »
The channel it was on explains why there was nothing from 1987-90.
Refer to Sky Sports and the rewriting of English topflight football history
Sir Graham is a legend and if you have ever spoken to him a really nice man too.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 01:29:02 PM »
I believe Sir Jack Hayward once said that one of his biggest regrets was sacking Sir Graham when he was at Wolves.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal