collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Board vs Manager Signings  (Read 10764 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Board vs Manager Signings
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
Personally i'd say most of the foreign lot were board choices after they baulked at sherwood paying the going rate for premiership players

You mean our better signings were 'board choices'?

And a fairy dies every time somebody calls it the 'Premiership'.

Well they're better signings in a "best of a terrible batch of signings" way, but buying someone like veretout or gueye for 17m as "potentially good but out of their depth currently" in key positions is rather more damaging than buying lescott and richards on frees

So if the board's signings were better, why would you want Sherwood wasting more money on shit like Andros Townsend, when the signings that he hand-picked were demonstrably worse than the ones that were recommended to him?

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »
Personally i'd say most of the foreign lot were board choices after they baulked at sherwood paying the going rate for premiership players

Well they're better signings in a "best of a terrible batch of signings" way, but buying someone like veretout or gueye for 17m as "potentially good but out of their depth currently" in key positions is rather more damaging than buying lescott and richards on frees

So if the board's signings were better, why would you want Sherwood wasting more money on shit like Andros Townsend, when the signings that he hand-picked were demonstrably worse than the ones that were recommended to him?

We needed an experienced striker, we got ayew and gestade. We needed experienced midfielders we got vertout and gueye. Both of 'em and ayew could be winning the league in 5 years but not with us. Abebeyor, lennon and townsend could all do a job this season
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:43:07 AM by sickbeggar »

Online Dave

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 11:43:22 AM »

We needed an experienced striker, we got ayew and gestade. We needed experienced midfielders we got vertout and gueye. Both of 'em and ayew could be winning the league in 5 years but not with us. Abebeyor, lennon and townsend could all do it this season

I don't see how you're not getting this. We got Ayew and Gestede. Ayew who is good, and Gestede who isn't. Ayew who Sherwood didn't pick, Gestede who he did.

How is that evidence that we would be better with more of a shit manager's shit signings?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 11:49:47 AM »

We needed an experienced striker, we got ayew and gestade. We needed experienced midfielders we got vertout and gueye. Both of 'em and ayew could be winning the league in 5 years but not with us. Abebeyor, lennon and townsend could all do it this season

I don't see how you're not getting this. We got Ayew and Gestede. Ayew who is good, and Gestede who isn't. Ayew who Sherwood didn't pick, Gestede who he did.

How is that evidence that we would be better with more of a shit manager's shit signings?

None of them is good enough currently. Ayew who's the best of the lot would have made a good signing behind an experienced striker not carrying the burden alone in his first season. If you sell Benteke, delph and let Cleverly go, then it makes sense that the players bought in to replace them should be of the required standard. If none of them are, and they're the board's signings then its their fault, no matter how much better they are than the manager's buys

Online Dave

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 11:55:58 AM »
(quote pyramid removed)

None of them is good enough currently. Ayew who's the best of the lot would have made a good signing behind an experienced striker not carrying the burden alone in his first season. If you sell Benteke, delph and let Cleverly go, then it makes sense that the players bought in to replace them should be of the required standard. If none of them are, and they're the board's signings then its their fault, no matter how much better they are than the manager's buys

What if the ones that do seem to be up to standard (Ayew, Amavi, Veretout) are the boards signings and the ones that don't seem to be up to standard (Gestede, Lescott, Richards) are the manager's signings? Why are you so desperate to insist that's the board's fault and not the managers?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »
(quote pyramid removed)

What if the ones that do seem to be up to standard (Ayew, Amavi, Veretout) are the boards signings and the ones that don't seem to be up to standard (Gestede, Lescott, Richards) are the manager's signings? Why are you so desperate to insist that's the board's fault and not the managers?

I'm not at all. I just think we needed to replace delpth, benteke and cleverly. Not that any of them were particularly brilliant but they were of a certain standard. As i said, i believe the foreign, relatively unknown signings were board signings - I could be wrong and none of us know really, but the foreign relatively unknown players replaced them three IMO. Richards, Lescott..well we didn't have a great defence last season but they weren't key signings to my mind.

Online Dave

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 12:05:01 PM »
(quote pyramid removed)

I'm not at all. I just think we needed to replace delpth, benteke and cleverly. Not that any of them were particularly brilliant but they were of a certain standard. As i said, i believe the foreign, relatively unknown signings were board signings - I could be wrong and none of us know really, but the foreign relatively unknown players replaced them three IMO. Richards, Lescott..well we didn't have a great defence last season but they weren't key signings to my mind.

Of those three, Benteke was the biggest loss by a mile and replaced by Gestede. By all accounts, at the request of Sherwood when they were suggesting alternatives. Is that the board's fault, or Sherwood's fault?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2016, 12:14:41 PM »
(quote pyramid removed)

Of those three, Benteke was the biggest loss by a mile and replaced by Gestede. By all accounts, at the request of Sherwood when they were suggesting alternatives. Is that the board's fault, or Sherwood's fault?

I don't really agree. Our midfield is the biggest problem and while delph and cleverly were no big shakes they had a bit of dominance. Gestade cost 6m. Ayew cost 8m. He was the board's new Benteke in my opinion and would have arrived anyway. Sherwood wanted someone else, couldn't get him,  so bought a cheap alternative. Gestede is shit but the one they expected to follow the Benteke route was Ayew.

Online Dave

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2016, 12:29:15 PM »
Gestade cost 6m. Ayew cost 8m. He was the board's new Benteke in my opinion and would have arrived anyway. Sherwood wanted someone else, couldn't get him,  so bought a cheap alternative. Gestede is shit but the one they expected to follow the Benteke route was Ayew.

Even though the person that we signed who plays in Benteke's position is Gestede? Who then did we sign to replace Weimann, who played in a similar position to Ayew?

Using the same logic, I'll assert that the person that we signed to replace Vlaar was Amavi, not Richards or Lescott. He's the defender that we spent the most money on after all, even though he plays in a different position.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »

Tell you what I wouldn't be turning my nose up at Andros Townsend for anyone at our squad right now.

Online Dave

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2016, 12:34:03 PM »
Tell you what I wouldn't be turning my nose up at Andros Townsend for anyone at our squad right now.

We've got enough attackers who can neither score goals nor create goals without adding another one.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2016, 12:37:02 PM »

We've got enough attackers who can neither score goals nor create goals without adding another one.

I disagree, I think he could have done a job here. We'll never know now though.

Online Dave

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2016, 12:49:03 PM »

I disagree, I think he could have done a job here. We'll never know now though.

20 odd goals across 200 games in his career. Five of them in the Premier League.  Scott Sinclair has more than twice as many goals in approximately the same amount of games. Townsend has scored 10 goals for Spurs in 86 matches. Sinclair has 9 in 33 for us.

What job would Townsend be doing for us is it's nowhere near as good as what a not-very-good Scott Sinclair can do?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2016, 12:51:11 PM »
Gestade cost 6m. Ayew cost 8m. He was the board's new Benteke in my opinion and would have arrived anyway. Sherwood wanted someone else, couldn't get him,  so bought a cheap alternative. Gestede is shit but the one they expected to follow the Benteke route was Ayew.

Even though the person that we signed who plays in Benteke's position is Gestede? Who then did we sign to replace Weimann, who played in a similar position to Ayew?

Using the same logic, I'll assert that the person that we signed to replace Vlaar was Amavi, not Richards or Lescott. He's the defender that we spent the most money on after all, even though he plays in a different position.

Buh? And we have a fixed formation forever? Maybe sherwood was changing things?  I'm just saying if you lose your main striker for a lot of money, then logic says you spend more on replacing him than a back-up.

Now i'm not defending Sherwood but if you were in the market for a top striker, then a middling championship striker wouldn't be your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice however much of a bellend of a manager you are. Neither would adebayor frankly so you think why? Mebbe they wanted Ayew and he got the leftovers to spend.

My personal opinion, for what it is worth, is they're certain players like Ayew, Vertout etc.. that they target - the sort of players  arsenal and chelsea buy and loan out for a few years -  in the hope of getting another Benteke. The trouble with that is they're not always ready and they're not cheap to buy. This season the budget tipped too far in that direction rather than buying proven players

Online Dave

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2016, 12:55:34 PM »
Now i'm not defending Sherwood but if you were in the market for a top striker, then a middling championship striker wouldn't be your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice however much of a bellend of a manager you are. Neither would adebayor frankly so you think why?

Because we tried to sign Adebayor, agreed a deal with his club then he decided that he didn't want to come to us. And when that happened we signed Gestede. That's a pretty good sign that Adebayor was first choice and Gestede was second choice.

Why would you think that Adebayor and Gestede weren't our first and second choices?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal