collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Board vs Manager Signings  (Read 10765 times)

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
Re: Board vs Manager Signings
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 05:48:48 PM »
I remember Sammy Morgan

Offline Allan C

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 07:45:54 PM »
Sammy Morgan was better. Gestede is so far out of his depth it's frightening

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 07:49:19 PM »
He really wanted Townshend, Lennon and Adebayor as well.

All would've been miles better than what we have IMO.

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 11:48:50 PM »
I remember Sammy Morgan

My first game in 1973 he got 2 diving headers at the Holte End in a 3-1 victory of Chester City in the FA cup. Getede is far worse!

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 07:25:39 AM »
I remember Sammy Morgan

Six foot two,eyes of blue,Sammy Morgan's after you.

I bet Bob Wilson remembered that game for a long time.

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 11:07:54 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3391005/Aston-Villa-free-fall-heading-Championship-Remi-Garde-without-win-real-Villains.html

Sherwood believed there was an over-reliance on numbers and a civil war kicked off behind the scenes. When Sherwood wanted to sign Rudy Gestede, he was shown a list of alternatives based on statistics.

Gestede all Sherwoods then

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 11:15:07 PM »
Anyone else love to see the alternatives offered??

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 07:31:30 AM »
Sammy Morgan was better. Gestede is so far out of his depth it's frightening
Sammy Morgan was great for the level we were at. Gestede will be when we arrive at that same level. Right now, Gestede is a total plank.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »

This thing came up over the summer and around the time Tim got the boot. The general consensus being he as the manager didn't want all the players we brought in, and according to the crab Wilkins, it was probably near half and half in terms of acquisitions made (or suggested) by the board and manager himself. Collymore's also had a bee in his bonnet of late about it, despite it surely happening at a lot of other clubs as well as ours.

Anyway, looking at the summer signings who do we put them down to ? for me (and it's purely guess work) i reckon the board have done the better business

Ayew - board -Good
Amavi - board - Potential
Veretout - board- Potential
Traore - board - Potential
Gueye - board - Potential
Gestede - Tim -Shit
Sinclair - deal agreed before Tim arrived - Shit
Lescott - Tim - Shit
Crespo - God knows - shit
Ilori - Tim- ?
Bunn - Tim - below average
Richards - Tim - shit
Sarkic - board -?

Just guesses of course

My two pen'orth. For what it's worth.

you have to say if the board  is replacing 1st teamers with players with "potential" that's more worrying than Tim spunking money on reserve duffers with the possible exception of richards. Our midfield needed more than potential imo. of course Tim could have been behind all of them, or none of them. Personally i'd say most of the foreign lot were board choices after they baulked at sherwood paying the going rate for premiership players

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 11:13:14 AM »
Personally i'd say most of the foreign lot were board choices after they baulked at sherwood paying the going rate for premiership players

You mean our better signings were 'board choices'?

And a fairy dies every time somebody calls it the 'Premiership'.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »

yep. not a fan of any of them, but someone like adebayor, you would have thought that sherwood would have got the best out of him. Ayew is a player with more potential but maybe he couldn't motivate him or didn't know how he ticks,whereas he knew adeboyer well. That's why a manager's input into transfer deals should be the final word because at the end of the day unless you have a  good relationship with them, they're not going to pull up any trees for you.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 11:19:48 AM »

yep. not a fan of any of them, but someone like adebayor, you would have thought that sherwood would have got the best out of him. Ayew is a player with more potential but maybe he couldn't motivate him or didn't know how he ticks,whereas he knew adeboyer well. That's why a manager's input into transfer deals should be the final word because at the end of the day unless you have a  good relationship with them, they're not going to pull up any trees for you.

So Sherwood says that he wants to sign Adebayor, the board agrees to the signing, Adebayor says that he doesn't want to come because God didn't tell him that he should, so Sherwood decides he wants Gestede as an alternative and the board agrees to that signing.

Which bit of the above is the board's fault again? Apart from agreeing to the daft Gestede signing at the end, obviously.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »
But that is making out that he was not allowed to sign Adebayor. He was, he just failed to convince him to come. Sherwood should have found a back up plan for him.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 11:31:40 AM »
Personally i'd say most of the foreign lot were board choices after they baulked at sherwood paying the going rate for premiership players

You mean our better signings were 'board choices'?

And a fairy dies every time somebody calls it the 'Premiership'.

Well they're better signings in a "best of a terrible batch of signings" way, but buying someone like veretout or gueye for 17m as "potentially good but out of their depth currently" in key positions is rather more damaging than buying lescott and richards on frees

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 11:34:49 AM »

So Sherwood says that he wants to sign Adebayor, the board agrees to the signing, Adebayor says that he doesn't want to come because God didn't tell him that he should, so Sherwood decides he wants Gestede as an alternative and the board agrees to that signing.

Which bit of the above is the board's fault again? Apart from agreeing to the daft Gestede signing at the end, obviously.

hah. Unless God is the first name of his bank manager i don't believe that at all. We made Adebayor an offer but it was well below what he'd want

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal