collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Radio Five Live last night  (Read 7020 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Radio Five Live last night
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 01:11:01 AM »

Tom fox sounded like an absolute cluess pillock, the first time I'd heard him speak and an absolute waste of space. What worried me was the suggestion that the men currently promoted above their station would be making managerial appointments to ensure they remained in place, basically ruling out the type of root and branch change we need.

Do yourself a big favour and don't ever go searching for anything Fox said at the time they paraded Delph around at the time the new contract was signed. Some of the things Fox said, despite knowing about the pathetic £8m release fee, are downright contemptible.

You say £8 million was pathetic. In that case, what would you have done - let him leave for nothing? 

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 01:31:18 AM »

Tom fox sounded like an absolute cluess pillock, the first time I'd heard him speak and an absolute waste of space. What worried me was the suggestion that the men currently promoted above their station would be making managerial appointments to ensure they remained in place, basically ruling out the type of root and branch change we need.

Do yourself a big favour and don't ever go searching for anything Fox said at the time they paraded Delph around at the time the new contract was signed. Some of the things Fox said, despite knowing about the pathetic £8m release fee, are downright contemptible.

You say £8 million was pathetic. In that case, what would you have done - let him leave for nothing?

Still think that was actually a good deal done by Fox & co.  Sure he wouldnt have signed a deal without the clause & equally sure no one expected City to come shopping for him when it was signed

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 01:39:10 AM »

Still think that was actually a good deal done by Fox & co.  Sure he wouldnt have signed a deal without the clause & equally sure no one expected City to come shopping for him when it was signed

Agree, although I do think we may have been able to get a few million more on the clause.  He would have definitely left for free in the summer if he hadn't signed that contract, so my only issue with him is the stuff he came out with last summer.  If he had kept his mouth shut the I would have had no problem with him going.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 01:39:21 AM »

Fox admitted that the mistake was not getting him to sign earlier. Blame them for that, not for making the best out of a bad deal later.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 01:44:55 AM »

Fox admitted that the mistake was not getting him to sign earlier. Blame them for that, not for making the best out of a bad deal later.

Not sure he would have signed earlier anyway Dave.  Once he broke into the a England team, it was only a matter of time before the vultures began circling.  Biggest 'tap up' opportunity out there.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 01:45:07 AM »

Absolutely, summer 2014 was the time to have got it done

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 01:48:36 AM »
The two posts above highlight the dilemma clubs always face when they're bringing players through. Once the players gets better than the club he's fair game for the vultures.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 02:36:50 AM »
The two posts above highlight the dilemma clubs always face when they're bringing players through. Once the players gets better than the club he's fair game for the vultures.
There is the saying, If you train your people well they leave, if you don't they stay.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 08:04:09 AM »
I don't have a problem with the deal from the club's perspective. I don't even have a problem with Delph leaving. It was the claims of loyalty and being at the clubs for years to come etc that really irritated me.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »
I don't have a problem with the deal from the club's perspective. I don't even have a problem with Delph leaving. It was the claims of loyalty and being at the clubs for years to come etc that really irritated me.

Yep

Offline paul richard

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 03:45:19 PM »
Good discussion on R5L last night, even if it made painful listening.  I still think the commentators collectively missed the point about the transfers last summer.  They went on about the loss of Benteke and Delph, which is fair enough, but they made out that the incoming players weren't good enough, whereas, as has been well set out on another thread, the real damage was done in previous transfer windows, so that the handful of more able incomers (Ayew, Veretout, Amavi) were good players introduced in to a poor squad.  Ayew, Veretout, Amavi etc are not the ones to blame. 

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 03:55:46 PM »
Made me chuckle because everyone was on twitter saying yeah Joey top comments mate, we'd love you down Villa park etc.. You can guarentee if we were linked with him they'd all be saying fuck off your a ******

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 04:16:52 PM »

Agree Dave, especially as such a disparity now exists in the financial power of clubs.  When clubs are able to pay players ridiculous money just to sit on their bench then there is very little anyone can do about it.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »
... You can guarentee if we were linked with him they'd all be saying fuck off your a c***
That's because he is

Offline maigrait

• GM : 12.07.2019
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 12:46:56 AM »
Sad to say but Newcastles squad was better than our current one.

Yet they still got relegated so all very subjective...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal