collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How did we get into this situation?  (Read 7296 times)

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
Re: How did we get into this situation?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 02:45:28 AM »
Fair points but I do disagree with the notion Lerner needs to sell up now, thats not within his power. He has been trying to sell for a while now. There are no buyers, just like several other premier league clubs. Nobody wants to buy these failed businesses. Thats hardly his fault. I am just grateful he has not pulled the plug entirely on spending, which he could easily have done and may yet do.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 06:55:10 AM »
A combination of bad judgement and bad luck have sunk us.

Post MON there has been a case for each managerial appointment with the exception of AM.

With Randy Stateside there have also been too few people who understood football n positions of administrative responsibility.
I am RG neutral, a decent manager, but not one who you would back to dig you out of a relegation battle o Championship promotion chasing free for all.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »
Fair points but I do disagree with the notion Lerner needs to sell up now, thats not within his power. He has been trying to sell for a while now. There are no buyers, just like several other premier league clubs. Nobody wants to buy these failed businesses. Thats hardly his fault. I am just grateful he has not pulled the plug entirely on spending, which he could easily have done and may yet do.
Lerner does need to sell the club now. Problem is the state that he has allowed the club to get into makes it very unlikely that someone will buy it. Forget spending and think about what has been recouped. Huge sums for Benteke, Milner etc plus all the tv money that has poured in.Add that to the crowds that some clubs can only dream of. How on earth do we find ourselves behind West Ham,West Brom, Crystal Palace Southampton etc etc. Mismanagement on a monumental scale.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »
It all started in MONs last season - he signed a few good players but also many poor ones, all on outrageous contract terms that put us on the road to financial disaster. Randy didn't understand because he knows nothing about British football so sanctioned it thinking it would be on because we'd get into the CL.

When it didn't and RL said No, MON quit.

Since then it's been rapidly downhill. I blame Randy but he isn't the sole culprit - MON had a big part to play in creating the environment in which we now find ourselves. All the others were just poor appointments with poor mandates.

Would make a great documentary on sporting finance mismanagement and naivety

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »
We're not the only club owned by someone who arrived knowing nothing about football - the game itself I mean. But where Randy and others have failed is in not getting real football knowledge on board from the off.
We've ended up with people in key football positions being appointed who just aren't up to the required level and the football side of the club has been destroyed as a result.
Knowing some of the individuals now working for the younger end of the academy I have serious worries about that too.

My one hope for our club is actually the current manager, once he gets chance to look beyond the first team and it's problems. My fear is that first team results will bring on that much fan pressure between now and the summer that the plonkers in charge will bow to it and go for another change.

Something that gets overlooked about Graham Taylor's appointment in 1987 is that he immediately identified what a poor state the club was also in beyond the first team and was given the power to address that.
I don't think we're yet in such a bad state it was then, but we are heading there unless someone with Taylor's intelligence and football knowledge is trusted enough to be given the power Taylor had. As I've said, I believe that person is now at the club, and has undoubtedly realised by now what a bag of shit he's taken on.

Spot on.

I remember SGT telling me that we didn't even have ice-packs for treating injuries. They just put plastic cups full of water in the freezer.

He said at the time that many supporters wouldn't want to hear the word "shambles" used in conjunction with Aston Villa but that's exactly what it was.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 12:57:39 PM »
I don't see what the problem is. We're selling lots of shirts and making revenue.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 12:58:44 PM »
I remember SGT telling me that we didn't even have ice-packs for treating injuries. They just put plastic cups full of water in the freezer.

Was that before or after Steve Harrison got his filthy mitts on them?

Offline IAmTheOneIanOlney

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 01:00:39 PM »
but i think he should be british as the championship is a diferent cup of tea to the premiership and historically, foreign managers have nopt done so well in the championship. maybe Redknapp? venables? hoddle? ie an experienced manager, not one who is cheap.

I think historically, of the number of foreign managers in the Championship, as many have done well as have done badly. And there are plenty of experienced British managers struggling there.
The current top two in the league have foreign coaches (Clement and Karanka), and in recent years, Jokanovic got Watford up and Zola, Poyet and Garcia all got teams into the playoffs. Carvalhal is doing well at Wednesday too.
So I don't think we can write Garde off at that level until he's had a chance to show what he can do there and I think the fact that he has got - albeit unhappy - experience at Premier League level will be handy.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »
Clement isn't a foreign coach last time I checked.

Offline IAmTheOneIanOlney

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 01:27:25 PM »
You're absolutely right. I'd just always assumed he was French.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 01:30:55 PM »
A killer combination of arrogance, complacency, apathy and downright stupidity has got us into this unholy mess. Well done, Randy.

Bingo!

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 01:51:13 PM »
Clement isn't a foreign coach last time I checked.

Depends how you pronounce his name.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 07:07:13 PM »
A killer combination of arrogance, complacency, apathy and downright stupidity has got us into this unholy mess. Well done, Randy.
Very well put mate. In a nutshell all the points I've being trying to make over dozens of posts and landing myself in numerous arguments. Thanks; )

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal