collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Re: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Rory
[Today at 01:30:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 1978 -79 season  (Read 5165 times)

Offline four fornicholl

Re: 1978 -79 season
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »
it may of been the weather obviously but come on you budding sherlocks
why was it postponed?
its somrthing to do

Because it was the worst winter for decades. As I said earlier, we were unable to play a home game from Boxing Day until March.
youre good dave
ill give you that

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »
we were way behind in the underground heating revolution I remember
was there a reason?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 07:59:29 PM »
was there a reason?

The pitch wasn't good enough.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 08:14:58 PM »
was there a reason?

hmmm, so we decided not to try and improve it's chances and just accept it was shit?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 08:15:35 PM »
Bolton postponed  because of an iced.

The whole season really was a let down crowds dropped off, Gray and Gidman threw  their dummies out. 

We went out 3rd  round in cup  (and the next season as well away at Forest). 

I  remember playing Wolves on a  Friday start of season "pass the ball  back Wanderers" I think that was 0-0.  We lost early on to Southampton who had bought our Chris Nichol and we had signed Ken McNaught who started terribly.  Also signed Gordon Smith who again did not race off the blocks.

The one bright spark was the signing of Jimmy  Rimmer the best keeper I can remember at the Villa.  It took Saunders another 12 months to get the spark back but he rebuilt us for the 2nd time.

The Tottenham  postponed game  a Saturday one we were inspecting the pitch, myself and Alan Cox from the London  Lions when Steve Stride came out and spoke to us. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
I think we drew 0-0 with Derby in a game me and my dad went to. May have been that season. Bolton was 3-1 that season or maybe the season after. If it was the 78-79 season ( now thinking about it I think it was 79-80)it would have been Bolton that was originally called off. (Although I think it was Derby...)

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »
Didnt we start the season away at Bolton (a draw), remember the Villa being marched across Manchester Victoria- Piccadilly afterwards.

Cant think who did  we lose to in the league cup?  I remember playing Luton was  this before the Palace games or the round after?

Offline peter w

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 08:30:25 PM »
After wasn't it. We lost 2-0 v Luton. And I was in the directors seats.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »
Didnt go the match but we drew away at Coventry and Villa Park was not happy with our support.  Also  took a general dislike to the Witton Warriors "we do not want them back in the Holte End".

A  lot of these lads had longer associations with the Villa  than  the idiots writing the articles - top villains such as George from Kingstanding.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 08:36:18 PM »
was there a reason?

hmmm, so we decided not to try and improve it's chances and just accept it was shit?

We'd had it relaid the previous summer so it couldn't be messed with, or something like that. We always had a bad pitch, for decades.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
was there a reason?

We'd had it relaid the previous summer so it couldn't be messed with, or something like that. We always had a bad pitch, for decades.
when did we finally get uh though

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 07:27:59 PM »
Meant to post this yesterday - my 37th wedding anniversary! I remember that our match on December 30th 1978 was postponed but can't remember who we were supposed to be playing that day.  Does anyone have a programme from early in that season that would have all the fixtures in it?

I have a feeling it was Liverpool we should have played.  I married a Liverpool supporter ( !! ) so if it was them, then it's probably a good job it was postponed.
Villa beat Liverpool 3-1 on Easter Monday scoring 3 goals in not very long. This against a Liverpool team who conceded only 16 goals all season and who clinched the title by beating Villa 3-0 a couple of weeks later. The Anfield game was a re-arranged game.

That was the first season I had a season ticket so can remember most of the matches that year.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 08:56:10 PM »
Great result against Liverpool 3-1 but we were believe  it or not badly outplayed  that day.

The season was muddled right from the start - we started off great Wolves then the Argies beaten or slaughtered at White Hart Lane  then losing  away at Ashton Gate (not my favourite away ground).

We beat the circus twice and then went on to lose to Luton in our league cup and Forest in the FA cup away.  Can't  remember the reason as to why it was a midweek game but I remember we were badly outplayed.

My season finished early no was not locked up ! Broke my leg playing fliggin squash.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 11:09:27 AM »
was there a reason?

when did we finally get uh though

Mid 90s I think. I am sure it was a prerequisite for either the Premier League or hosting Euro 96 games. I remember the green sand that assisted us in a win over Liverpool towards the end of the 91/92 season so certainly not before then.

Back on topic, Leeds United on Boxing Day was my first ever game. I had no idea we didn't play at Villa Park for another two months.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 12:15:25 PM »
Great result against Liverpool 3-1 but we were believe  it or not badly outplayed  that day.

The season was muddled right from the start - we started off great Wolves then the Argies beaten or slaughtered at White Hart Lane  then losing  away at Ashton Gate (not my favourite away ground).

We beat the circus twice and then went on to lose to Luton in our league cup and Forest in the FA cup away.  Can't  remember the reason as to why it was a midweek game but I remember we were badly outplayed.

My season finished early no was not locked up ! Broke my leg playing fliggin squash.

As I remember it was postponed from the Saturday because of the weather - the winter of 1978-79 was one of the worst ever - the winter of discontent ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal