collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 09:50:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:48:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:47:19 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 09:46:41 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:46:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:44:12 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 09:43:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The 2015 Calendar Year Table.  (Read 5596 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: The 2015 Calendar Year Table.
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2016, 08:46:43 PM »
This "worst" assessment is not really valid.  It is not about numbers or statistics. You cannot say Dickens is better than Shakespeare because he wrote more and sells more copies of his work.  Worst implies a qualatitive evaluation. The game has changed out of all recognition over the period of Villa's history. The abolition of the minimum wage, Bosman, Sky and Manchester City have all imposed huge changes to the ways clubs are obliged to be run.

For example you might look at Blackpool and say their post war history is "better" than their recent history. But they had Matthews, Mortensen, Perry, Armfield, Farm and the rest tied on £20 a week to a club with a ground capacity of 13,000.

When I look back on the awfulness of the forties, fifties and sixties, Villa were like a great big lump of stale bread pudding. Their current awfulness, and they are awful, is more like a fruit salad which is all watery juice and very little fruit with the odd floating dog turd. Yes Delph I am looking at you.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2016, 09:07:33 PM »
Agreed that there were loads of low points Dave, but even during those low points, we weren't as consistently awful over a 'calendar year' as is shown in that table.

It's all relative. Like saying that this team is the worst ever when it clearly isn't, so 2015 might have been almost unremitting shite but it also gave me one of my top ten days watching the Villa and another that gets into the top twenty. 

Yep got to agree with that , Liverpool semi final & the baggies game will long live in the memory.
Those sort of days are why we keep turning up no matter how bad it gets
Beating the bitters should NEVER be considered a highlight that lives long in the memory.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2016, 09:11:27 PM »
This "worst" assessment is not really valid.  It is not about numbers or statistics. You cannot say Dickens is better than Shakespeare because he wrote more and sells more copies of his work.  Worst implies a qualatitive evaluation. The game has changed out of all recognition over the period of Villa's history. The abolition of the minimum wage, Bosman, Sky and Manchester City have all imposed huge changes to the ways clubs are obliged to be run.

For example you might look at Blackpool and say their post war history is "better" than their recent history. But they had Matthews, Mortensen, Perry, Armfield, Farm and the rest tied on £20 a week to a club with a ground capacity of 13,000.

When I look back on the awfulness of the forties, fifties and sixties, Villa were like a great big lump of stale bread pudding. Their current awfulness, and they are awful, is more like a fruit salad which is all watery juice and very little fruit with the odd floating dog turd. Yes Delph I am looking at you.

It held about 40,000 back then.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2016, 09:15:49 PM »
Agreed that there were loads of low points Dave, but even during those low points, we weren't as consistently awful over a 'calendar year' as is shown in that table.

It's all relative. Like saying that this team is the worst ever when it clearly isn't, so 2015 might have been almost unremitting shite but it also gave me one of my top ten days watching the Villa and another that gets into the top twenty. 

Yep got to agree with that , Liverpool semi final & the baggies game will long live in the memory.
Beating the bitters should NEVER be considered a highlight that lives long in the memory.

So when we were beating them in FA Cup finals it shouldn't be considered a highlight for those that saw it? If we beat them in this year's cup final it wouldn't live long in your memory?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2016, 09:19:19 PM »
I would have hated to be there with 40,000 in it. The joke about Blackpool was that it had the biggest car parks and the smallest terraces in the First Division.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »

It was our first home FA Cup quarter final win in half a century and against our oldest rivals. Please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't remember.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2016, 09:21:19 PM »
It was the first time we'd been drawn at home in the 6th Round in my lifetime! That in itself was worthy of celebration.

Offline luke95

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2016, 09:25:41 PM »

Beating them twice in 4 days & one of them being the fa cup should ALWAYS be celebrated

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2016, 09:30:08 PM »

Beating them twice in 4 days & one of them being the fa cup should ALWAYS be celebrated

They'd have brought out a dvd of it.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »

They'd have brought out a dvd of it.

And started a whip round for a statue.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2016, 12:03:07 AM »
Frederick Rinder could probably do a better job even now than the current lot, and he has been dead since 1938!

Judge Rinder would do a better job.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal