collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Half Season Report Card  (Read 10058 times)

Offline Ivo Stas

Half Season Report Card
« on: December 30, 2015, 11:25:12 PM »
Players half-season report grades:

KEEPERS

Brad Guzan: I'm less critical of him than some. His strength is in dominating his box in the air, claiming crosses and not being bullied by oppostion forwards in the manner Given could be. However, since the Spurs game, his shot-stopping has all but disappeared. I'm getting sick of seeing him nearly save shots. I do think that he is a bit of a sitting duck with our defence however. As for his distribution, he did actually complete those passes to Amavi and Lescott that cost us goals, however he should stick to simply kicking the ball straight up the pitch (or out of play), which he seems to have been told to do by Garde. I'm grading him a C minus.

Mark Bunn: The one time I saw him, in the League Cup, he let in three and should have been sent off. Not enough games to grade.

DEFENDERS

Micah Richards: Obviously a very talented (and strong) footballer. It would solve so many problems if he played right back. That he doesn't either reflects badly on the manager or, more likely, on him (and his contract). I'm grading him a slightly generous B minus.

Jores Okore: Lacks positional awareness but, in our back four, who doesn't (and this can be forgiven somewhat in a young defender). On the ball, there is about a 50% chance of him passing to the opposition. However, he is strong and steady and is probably our next best defender to Richards, its a shame they both play in the exact same right centre-back spot. I'll give him a B minus.

Ciaran Clark: is this the same player we saw last season? Didn't Pulis offer £3 million for him in the summer? In hindsight, that was a deal begging to be made. Was directly at fault for goals against Sunderland, Palace, Watford and Spurs. Against Norwich he got caught on the ball as last man in the same exact way he did years ago at home against Man City! Whenever I see Clarke, I'm reminded of a post I saw here a couple of years ago which when something like "please remember, Ciaran, we are not at home to Mr Cock Up today!". Utter fail, this season, he has made me pine for Nathan Baker, I'm giving him an F:

Joleon Lescott: it didn't take long to see why Pulis was happy to sell him to us. He has improved slightly recently under Garde but has been a major disappointment. Not quite sure why he hasn't been tried at left-back (where he once shone for Everton). I'm giving him an E:

Alan Hutton: he is fit as a fiddle, that is the best I can say for him. Shame that he can't cross when running forward, nor tackle when running back. Michael Cox, on the Guardian Football Weekly podcast, named him as the worst player in the Premier League (since Nathan Baker went off on loan). I'll give him no worse than a D on the basis that at least he tries his limited best each week.

Jordan Amavi: probably the player we could least afford to lose to a long-term injury. Defensive weakness far outweighed by his excellent dribbling and crossing. Created two of Rudy's goals. I'm grading him a B.

Jose Angel Crespo: signed as a squad player and used as one. Not looked anything too special in the two appearances he has made. I'm grading him a D because he doesn't look like he could improve a poor defence.

Leandro Bacuna: controversially, I quite like him. But not at left-back. Nor right-back. Nor defensive midfield (Mr Sherwood). But on the right-side of midfield, I think he would whip in quality crosses (for Rudy) and score a few goals. It also confused me why Weimann got in at right midfield/wing ahead of him, now it puzzles me how Sinclair does. However, as he has played out of position like a headless chicken, its an E for me.

MIDFIELDERS

Idrissa Gueye: very much a poor man's Delph. Watching the Norwich game, I was struck by how many long forward diagonal passes went straight to Ryan Bennett. For the money we paid, a disappointment to me. Like Hutton, he is fit and covers the ground. His shooting reminds me of Tonev. I'm giving him a D.

Ashley Westwood: someone posed the question: has a worse player reached 100 games for Villa? After checking how many Ian Ormondroyd managed (56), I might have to say no. Reo-Coker managed 102 games but I think we'd all prefer him to Westwood. He does 'look after the ball' so if we could somehow maybe put him into a blender with Sanchez, we might have a player. I'm giving him a D.

Jordan Veretout: started slowly, but Garde obviously fancies him much more than Sherwood. Has been given the lightweight, creative player role at the expense of Gil and Grealish who might actually both be better at it. There was a game (against Notts County in the cup) when Veretout, Gil, Grealish and Adama all played. We let in 3 and scored 5. Sometimes I think it might make for a more entertaining second half of the season to start all four each game. No doubt we'd keep losing but perhaps in more style. I'm giving Veretout a C+.

Kieran Richardson: sigh. An F because a right winger is preferred to him at left-back. Not that he is really a left back anyway but he sucks in midfield too.

Carlos Sanchez: I remember in the World Cup when Colombia played Brazil and were fancied to cause an upset. Then Brazil scored from a corner because a Colombian lost his man - guess who that Colombian was..?!?! Every time we concede from a corner, Sanchez is not far from the scene of the crime. Aside from that bug bear of mine, and the fact that he takes about seven touches before carefully passing the ball straight to an opponent (or once sideways, blind, behind Hutton putting an opponent through on goal), he is our only physical defensive presence. (Why did Sherwood send our other 'bully boys' Baker and Cissokho off on loan, leaving us with all the pushovers at the back?). We do look a better side with Sanchez in it. However, nothing would probably improve us quicker than replacing him with a defensive midfielder who could start off attacks. I'm giving him a D. (By the way, does anyone else think that Yacouba Sylla might do a job in our lightweight midfield? He couldn't pass either but he did add something.)

Carles Gil: one of these guys who got better with every game he didn't play. However, when he does get games, he appears to be too lightweight (or is it lazy) to track back and cover Hutton effectively. For me, he should play up off the striker (Ayew) as a number 10 with minimum defensive duties (other than to drop back onto the opponents defensive midfielder when we don't have the ball). He is a quality player searching for a position. We seem to have quite a few players who don't seem to fit any role (Sinclair, for instance). I'm going to give him a C+ for the goal he scored against Leicester. We don't have many midfielders scoring.

Charles N'Zogbia: came in for a couple of games just to remind us what a poor signing he was (although one I cheered at the time!). He gets a D.

Jack Grealish: he is having a Weimann (or a Lowton) style second season. Clearly he is a fantastic player in the making though no doubt he will achieve his full potential at Chelsea after Garde sells him to someone like Everton. (Can you tell I'm still bitter about O'Neill selling Cahill?). Now that we are effectively relegated, can we start playing Grealish again please Mr Garde?  I'm giving him a D but he is one of a very few players I would want to keep hold of for next season.

Scott Sinclair: after a couple of early (or pre) season hat-tricks, has been a massive disappointment. Where exactly is his position? Where (and what) did he do at Swansea to get Man City interested? All he seems to do for us it attempt to dribble hopelessly into overwhelming numbers of defenders. Also gets pushed off the ball too easily. I suspect Garde likes him because (unlike Gil, Grealish, Adama) he does run back to help out his full back. I was going to give him an E but he is our top scorer with 6 so I'll give him a D.

Adama Traore: can't pass, doesn't track back, still should start every game because he is our only player that frightens opponents. As soon as he comes on, immediately, the opposition have a problem to deal with. I'm giving him a B just for his pace, power and directness.

Gabriel Agbonlahor: I knew his days were numbered as soon as Garde was hired because I don't buy the "Remi Garde is the new Arsene Wenger" hype. For me, Remi Garde is Gerrard Houllier II. And first thing Houllier told him is 'get rid of Gabby'. I'm struggling to think of anything good Gabby has done this season (an assist against Swansea perhaps). I'd given up expecting goals from Gabby but we used to get the odd game where he was unplayable. I expect he'll be sold to West Brom or Sunderland in January and be immediately rehabiliated by Pulis/Allardyce. For me, an E. I'll always have a soft spot for him though.

Jordan Ayew: I owe him an apology because by September I thought we'd made an expensive mistake signing him. Now, I think he is our best signing since... Benteke? I love how he got booked against Norwich, even though it was last minute and means a suspension. It shows he was as fucked off with losing that game as I felt. He gets a B+ from me (which is my highest mark awarded to anyone this season). If only he had some team mates with his quality and desire.

Libor Kozak: I was at the game against Notts County when he came on and I saw him trapping and controlling long balls belted up to him. This is a skill that eludes Gestede. I can only assume that a deal has already been done to sell him to Celtic, hence he isn't being given a chance. Not enough game time to mark.

Rudy Gestede: possibly the worst striker since... Jordan Bowery? I feel for Rudy because he needs crosses to attack and those dried up when Amavi got injured. If picking Rudy, I would also pick Bacuna (on the right) so at least someone might whip something in for him to attack. That headed goal against Liverpool was one of the greatest I've ever seen, so there is something there. On the deck or outside the box, however, just awful. I'm old enough to remember Tony Cascarino and I'd pick him over Gestede any day. For me a D.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:38:30 PM by Ivo Stas »

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Half Season Report Card
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 11:27:29 PM »
Here's mine.

Keeper: Shit

Defenders: Shitter than Shit

Midfielders: Shit except Veretout

Strikers: Shit except Ayew.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 11:30:52 PM »
Here's mine.

Short and to the point. Spot on.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 11:34:15 PM »
All fucking expelled except Amavi, Veretout and Ayew.

Offline steamer

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 11:58:38 PM »
Wow, how did you have the time type out all of that.
But a very good analysis, my only changes an F for Nzogbia and Rudy is worse than you marked.
Our challenge is to get some new blood, winners, into the team during Jan

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 12:39:26 AM »
Here's mine.

Short and to the point. Spot on.

I'd go with this though it is a pity about Amavi.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 12:49:03 AM »
Class detention

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 01:12:47 AM »
Players half-season report grades:
Very good, Ivo, and depressingly accurate

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 02:07:32 AM »
Best I can say is they've looked ok at times, but mostly shit. Too many schoolboy mistakes and toothless in front of goal. Like quite a few on here I was excited by our summer signings- what a fucking let down though. Another massive clearout required in the summer. Decent championship players, to get us out of that league first time of asking. Shit, Villa.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 02:19:06 AM »
Have to fail the entire group I'm afraid. They will be made to stay back next season as punishment, except the persistent recidivists who will be expelled in the meantime.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 02:45:32 AM »
I'd assess all of them including Remi Garde as, 'working towards' their Premier League level.

I'd assign some new learning mentors in January.
I would expect such targeted new influences to have an impact on overall performance.

Oh, and restrict access to the playground until each lad has shown that he can play and perform effectively, individually and collectively. 

Finally, some significant group collaborative skills work is needed.
Perhaps at Bodymoor Heath?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 06:22:23 AM »
We need to go and find a couple of school bullies, if we are going to continue with the educational theme, to assist them with having their pants pulled over their heads every game.

In proper language, go out and find a couple of players who have the heart and desire for a relegation scrap. We have our list of desires, defo a striker for one, but so much more needed is for a central defender and a centre mid with some bollocks.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 06:32:29 AM »
collective report for aston villa 1st team
this team are very rarely here
but when they are
they learn and do absolutely nothing

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 07:58:05 AM »
Excellent post Ivo. Hard to disagree with much of it. Possibly I'd be a it more generous on Hutton; while limited, he tries and cares which puts him ahead of most of 'em.

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 08:23:09 AM »
Here's mine.

10 out of 10.  Please can you apply for the next vacancy on the board as you seem to see what is wrong with the squad and hence can guide them?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal