collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:11:04 PM]

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 08:01:13 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 07:48:34 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Smirker
[Today at 07:43:56 PM]

Ollie Watkins by AV84
[Today at 07:41:32 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 07:22:44 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 06:55:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Lsvilla
[Today at 06:53:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:11:04 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:09:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:09:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:07:53 PM]

[Today at 08:07:17 PM]

[Today at 08:06:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:06:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:04:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gazza Interview with Merse  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Banburysmiler

Gazza Interview with Merse
« on: December 29, 2015, 06:27:37 PM »
Sky sports are currently broad casting a cracking prog with Paul Merson interviewing Gazza. Well worth catching if you can. Gascoinge mentions having the opportunity to sign for the Villa but declined after meeting with Doug Ellis who was "more interested in talking about himself"
Does anyone else remember we played Arsenal at Highbury about the time of this speculation and Gazza was up in the clock end balcony.
Gazza also mentions receiving a call asking to sign for Boston, packing his bags only to be met off the train by officials from Boston United, who then tried to soften the blow by saying they would pay him £500 per week plus any of the gate receipts for crowds over 2,500 which he accepted only to find out after the first home game that the capacity was restricted to 2,200. Have a gander if you can it's really entertaining.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Gazza Interview with Merse
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 06:49:48 PM »
Sadly, I thought it was all rather pathetic, much as I retain a soft spot for Gazza. He looks absolutely gone and the two of them are clearly as thick as short planks, though again I retain huge affection for Merse. I thought Gazza's selections for his all time first XI summed up all that has been wrong with English football these past 30 years or so.

Offline ez

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »
I've heard Brian Little say he and Doug talked about bringing Gazza to villa. I think in Doug's book he refers to Gazza as 'his friend'.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »
I've heard Brian Little say he and Doug talked about bringing Gazza to villa. I think in Doug's book he refers to Gazza as 'his friend'.

Was that just after Ellis signed Collymore? Would have been a great dressing room combo.

Offline supertom

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 08:06:50 PM »
I honestly have no idea how Gazza is still alive. He somehow continues to outrun the Reaper but he can't run forever, as George Best found. He looks like he's in his 70's. Very sad but there's no one to blame but himself and no one who can help him but himself.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 09:31:32 PM »

Was that just after Ellis signed Collymore? Would have been a great dressing room combo.

It was during the summer that we signed Draper, Savo and Southgate....and Gazza went to Rangers. Lucky escape!

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »
You lost me at Gazza

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 10:10:30 PM »
Was there an issue about whether or not Gascoigne was willing to put in a transfer request? It's more than possible I'm thinking about another transfer that fell through for that reason.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 11:27:49 PM »

It was during the summer that we signed Draper, Savo and Southgate....and Gazza went to Rangers. Lucky escape!

I seem to remember watching a programme about him when he was living out in Italy and was talking to his agent about possible moves back to the UK.  I'm sure his agent mentioned we were one of the teams interested, but he seemed set on joining Rangers.

He is obviously a deeply disturbed individual, but for what it's worth I still think he is the best English player I have seen in my lifetime (I am in my thirties and it would be before he injured his knee).

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 11:38:48 PM »

I seem to remember watching a programme about him when he was living out in Italy and was talking to his agent about possible moves back to the UK.  I'm sure his agent mentioned we were one of the teams interested, but he seemed set on joining Rangers.

He is obviously a deeply disturbed individual, but for what it's worth I still think he is the best English player I have seen in my lifetime (I am in my thirties and it would be before he injured his knee).

It's been done before on here but I'd have Beardsley, Barnes, Sheringham, Scholes, Rooney and probably a few more miles ahead of Gascoigne in that time.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 11:39:10 PM »
Sadly, I thought it was all rather pathetic, much as I retain a soft spot for Gazza. He looks absolutely gone and the two of them are clearly as thick as short planks, though again I retain huge affection for Merse. I thought Gazza's selections for his all time first XI summed up all that has been wrong with English football these past 30 years or so.

I occasionally watch the Fantasy Football show Merson is on and it always amazes me how unbalanced some of the sides are that are picked by the ex pros.  There have been some top players on there who from their team selections, don't seem to understand how to set a team up or how it functions.  I guess in some cases, their talent was so supreme and so instinctive, they didn't need to understand or worry about the tactical nuances of the game.  I still think there is a stigma in this country that top players will make good coaches and that you have to have had played the game at a high level to coach.  It is interesting to note that two of the most successful foreign managers in recent years (Wenger and Mourinho) didn't really have playing careers of any sort.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 11:41:04 PM »

I occasionally watch the Fantasy Football show Merson is on and it always amazes me how unbalanced some of the sides are that are picked by the ex pros.  There have been some top players on there who from their team selections, don't seem to understand how to set a team up or how it functions.  I guess in some cases, their talent was so supreme and so instinctive, they didn't need to understand or worry about the tactical nuances of the game.  I still think there is a stigma in this country that top players will make good coaches and that you have to have had played the game at a high level to coach.  It is interesting to note that two of the most successful foreign managers in recent years (Wenger and Mourinho) didn't really have playing careers of any sort.

Wenger played in the French top-flight with Strasbourg. Nothing spectacular but an ocean away from Mourinho's sweet FA.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 09:26:04 AM »
Is there footage of Wenger playing football? It's hard to picture - a gawky, awkward Roy Cropper lost in the centre circle with his shopping bag.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal