collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: BBC Spoty  (Read 8294 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: BBC Spoty
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2015, 11:54:17 PM »
I can't complain about Andy Murray winning it - his achievement in the Davis Cup this year was incredible.  Not so sure about Kevin Sinfield though - great RL player but this seems like a gesture.  I thought Max Whitlock's achievement probably should have been recognised.
I'm guessing the RL community had a big viral "vote for Sinfield" thing going on.

I genuinely don't know If they did but I can imagine the RL community doing something like this.

I thought that as well.  I don't follow RL, but am aware of just how highly regarded he is, so it's understandable if such a campaign went on.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »

Mo Farah, Jessica Ennis and Hamilton are old hat.  Hard to find proper reasons as to why they should be trotted out every year.

The achievements of Farah and Ennis were both excellent.  For Mo to dominate in tough events where there is such strong competition is an amazing achievement, but I just wonder if the controversy with his coach went against him.  Similarly, for Jess Ennis to come back after having a child was another great achievement. 

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2015, 12:32:24 AM »
I wouldn't have voted for him but I thought Murray spoke with great humility on both occasions, and I will forgive him a great deal for his Worthing gag. Self deprecation beyond most celebrities.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2015, 07:58:17 AM »
A talented racing driver he may be but every time I see or hear of Lewis Hamilton these days (when he's not wearing a helmet whilst working) the more I think what a complete ass hat, and last night was no different.  Ass hat.

Offline Boz

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2015, 10:51:35 AM »
A few things to mention.

Andrew Murray  - great tennis  player, the best British one by a  country mile in my lifetime.  His 2015 apart from the Davis Cup victory not his best.  I quite understand Team GB Tennis being right up there for the team trophy but how do you then pick Murray out for the individual contribution its either one or the other.

Tyson Fury I think would have won Spoty if he had any kind of intelligence.  His mouth lost him the award.  He needs a marketing manager more than a  coach at this stage.

How did the Republic  and England get nominated for team of the year?  The competition has lost its imagination.  I would have thought Leeds  RFL would have been a  candidate especially as the BBC still hold the Rugby League on board.

Mo Farah, Jessica Ennis and Hamilton are old hat.  Hard to find proper reasons as to why they should be trotted out every year.

Whats for sure Spoty needs a revision.  The only way they could go further into decline would be if they got that Kellie Dalglish and the other clown from Channel 5 (the football league show on board).

Murray won the team event almost on his own, as without him they'd have probably lost. So in that respect, he deserved the individual award.

I'd agree the team nominations were rubbish, it looked like they were struggling to find worthy participants.

Farah and Ennis Hill are still winning championship medals, so why wouldn't they be included while still at the top of their respective events, and Hamilton was again world champion, so he should be included whatever you think of him off the track.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2015, 12:32:19 PM »
How did the Republic  and England get nominated for team of the year? 
Sorry but I thought ROI was a different country...yes so how?

Online lovejoy

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2015, 07:00:54 PM »
A few things to mention.

Andrew Murray  - great tennis  player, the best British one by a  country mile in my lifetime.  His 2015 apart from the Davis Cup victory not his best.  I quite understand Team GB Tennis being right up there for the team trophy but how do you then pick Murray out for the individual contribution its either one or the other.

No Grand Slams but I think he actually won more games this year than in any other, it's just unfortunate that he has the phenomenon that is Djokovic on the other side of the net at some point in nearly every tournament.

That's the point though isn't it, he's not the best in the world at his sport and, David Cup team event aside, didn't win on the high profile occasions.
Also can anyone explain why Bradley Wiggins won SPOTY with 1 TdF win but Froome doesn't get a look in with 2? Saying he wasn't the first is a bit like saying Marray wasn't the first to win Wimbledon.

Online nigel

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »
I can't complain about Andy Murray winning it - his achievement in the Davis Cup this year was incredible.  Not so sure about Kevin Sinfield though - great RL player but this seems like a gesture.  I thought Max Whitlock's achievement probably should have been recognised.

But, for me, Andy Murray's achievement was in a team event.

Personally, I'd have liked Greg Rutherford, Adam Peaty or Max Whitlock to have won it.

Online Simon Page

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »
A few things to mention.

No Grand Slams but I think he actually won more games this year than in any other, it's just unfortunate that he has the phenomenon that is Djokovic on the other side of the net at some point in nearly every tournament.

That's the point though isn't it, he's not the best in the world at his sport and, David Cup team event aside, didn't win on the high profile occasions.
Also can anyone explain why Bradley Wiggins won SPOTY with 1 TdF win but Froome doesn't get a look in with 2? Saying he wasn't the first is a bit like saying Marray wasn't the first to win Wimbledon.

Murray won every match he played in the Davis Cup and in effect won it single handed. Djokovic and McEnroe are the only ones who can claim such an achievement as far as I know. He's also world number two - something no British player has achieved in the open era and at a time when arguably the three best ever are still playing and winning. Don't get me wrong, I think Jessica Ennis-Hill is both inspirational and stunningly brilliant, but Murray gave up a lot in an individual sport to do the whole Blighty glory bit, so I don't begrudge him. Froome didn't win because he doesn't look like the mid-life crisis era Paul Weller ;-) More seriously, cycling means two tenths of sod all to those who don't wrap themselves in lycra. Outside the Olympics most people don't care. There are a lot of people in the meeja who cycle to work and think it's the epicentre of everything (just look at BBC London for proof) but most people see cyclists outside Hoy and Wiggins as red-light jumping cnuts who deserve being cut up. Froome has no public persona therefore gets few votes. In fact, the success of Sinfield and, before him, Phil Taylor shows just how few people care about the Tour de France.

Although I don't feel the Oirish winners were undeserving, combine the Norn Iron love-in with a sudden desire to include hurling and Gaellic football in the round-ups and you can't help but think the location means more than the achievements. Watch out for the Midlands Today Unsung Hero winning next time it's at the NEC.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2015, 12:15:59 AM »
I think Boris Becker can be added to the list but the point is well made.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2015, 11:00:16 PM »
Tennis and cycling are on a par in terms of popularity I would say. Cycling is no longer the monority sport you suggest. In fact, if anything, outside Wimbledon nobody in this courtly gives 2 hoots about the sport. Murrays number 3 in the world according to the ATP website by the way.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 08:51:57 AM »
Tennis and cycling are on a par in terms of popularity I would say. Cycling is no longer the monority sport you suggest. In fact, if anything, outside Wimbledon nobody in this courtly gives 2 hoots about the sport. Murrays number 3 in the world according to the ATP website by the way.

I think cycling has had it's peak in this country and will now slowly decline in popularity. GB has had unparalleled success in recent times which surely can't continue plus I'd imagine the continuing drug issues will wear people down, they certainly have me. I cannot watch and 100% enjoy a sport when any achievement is frowned upon and raises suspicion amongst so many, which is a real shame.

Tennis is just shit.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2015, 09:33:07 PM »

I think cycling has had it's peak in this country and will now slowly decline in popularity. GB has had unparalleled success in recent times which surely can't continue plus I'd imagine the continuing drug issues will wear people down, they certainly have me. I cannot watch and 100% enjoy a sport when any achievement is frowned upon and raises suspicion amongst so many, which is a real shame.

Tennis is just shit.
Are you talking about cycling or athletics? Or tennis? Or rugby?

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2016, 09:25:35 PM »
Yeah cycling is over.
Care to take a look at sales figures for bikes, bike parts, clothing and accessories for the past 12 months and come back and tell us it's over?

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2016, 10:41:06 AM »
Play fair, "over" is a massive leap from "had it's peak" and "slowly decline in popularity".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal