collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by paul_e
[Today at 11:06:24 AM]

Re: Aston Villa: 150 Years Squads & Souvenirs by Towser
[Today at 11:04:41 AM]

Re: Reserves and Academy 2023/24 by PeterWithe
[Today at 10:58:50 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithe
[Today at 10:55:40 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 10:53:35 AM]

[Today at 10:48:46 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 10:47:01 AM]

[Today at 10:46:43 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MO'N on Goals on Sunday  (Read 35614 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: MO'N on Goals on Sunday
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
MON taking credit for Downing is a bit much, he was crap that season for us. Came good the year after MON left.

It wasn't the net spend that the problem was, it was the wage bill that spiraled out of control with the likes of Beye, Sidwell, Davies and Heskey chewing up crazy wages for no return. Selling Cahill and Davis wasn't a good idea either.

Interesting that he mentioned about two players Villa bought after his time that cost more. Bent and who was the other one?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »
It would benefit me for a start because I would not have to follow a club with a manager I loathe and detest.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »
Which was Lerner's first big mistake in my opinion and the foundations of the Kremlin walls at VP which are only now starting to be demolished brick by brick by plain speaking and open planning for the future. In my opinion it was a black day in Villa history when we accepted the concept of Martin O'Neill being a victim.
I must of dreamt about the 3 top 6 finishes. The European football. The carling cup final where the referee awarded the cup to man United.  The f.a cup semi final the 6-0 away to Derby & the 5-1 victory over the Scum.

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2015, 06:41:42 PM »
It would benefit me for a start because I would not have to follow a club with a manager I loathe and detest.
Fair enough that answered my question. Somewhat of a narrow short term view in my opinion. As I said I doubt it is a scenario we will have to contemplate. There is nothing like an O'Neill thread to get the dander up. On both sides of the equation.Lambert, O'Leary. Dr Jo etc. None of them have the ability of this man to get people onto the keyboards

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2015, 06:50:49 PM »
Its worth bearing in mind though that even though he resigned and so was owed nothing he did win compensation from the tribunal as he argued Villa were in breach of contract, so there is something there to his side.

No.

We've had this one 100 times at least. He didn't "win" anything "from the tribunal", the two parties settled. Not the same thing.

Mind if we go over it 101 times then? Because I dont understand. Why settle? He resigned, owed nothing. Why would Lerner give him money unless there was something in the contract that was breached.

Honestly, I can't face it.

Sometimes organisations will agree a deal to make a case go away. It happens all the time, it is cheaper, less distracting and quicker to meet someone half way.

The reason you haven't heard him say he "won" his case is the same reason you haven't heard the club say it either, because it's a compromise agreement.

It doesn't make any difference that the club paid him, it's no admission of being in the wrong, it's just an admission that they've come to an agreement - the details of which we don't know and never will.

Even if the club adamantly think they've done nothing wrong and not breached the contract, it still costs a huge amount of money (and time) to fight it in court, it can be cheaper just to find a figure they're happy with and fuck them off and get on with life.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
Which was Lerner's first big mistake in my opinion and the foundations of the Kremlin walls at VP which are only now starting to be demolished brick by brick by plain speaking and open planning for the future. In my opinion it was a black day in Villa history when we accepted the concept of Martin O'Neill being a victim.
I must of dreamt about the 3 top 6 finishes. The European football. The carling cup final where the referee awarded the cup to man United.  The f.a cup semi final the 6-0 away to Derby & the 5-1 victory over the Scum.

And the five years subsequently paying the price.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2015, 07:00:47 PM »
Its worth bearing in mind though that even though he resigned and so was owed nothing he did win compensation from the tribunal as he argued Villa were in breach of contract, so there is something there to his side.

No.

We've had this one 100 times at least. He didn't "win" anything "from the tribunal", the two parties settled. Not the same thing.

Mind if we go over it 101 times then? Because I dont understand. Why settle? He resigned, owed nothing. Why would Lerner give him money unless there was something in the contract that was breached.

Honestly, I can't face it.

Sometimes organisations will agree a deal to make a case go away. It happens all the time, it is cheaper, less distracting and quicker to meet someone half way.

The reason you haven't heard him say he "won" his case is the same reason you haven't heard the club say it either, because it's a compromise agreement.

It doesn't make any difference that the club paid him, it's no admission of being in the wrong, it's just an admission that they've come to an agreement - the details of which we don't know and never will.

Even if the club adamantly think they've done nothing wrong and not breached the contract, it still costs a huge amount of money (and time) to fight it in court, it can be cheaper just to find a figure they're happy with and fuck them off and get on with life.

Fair enough. We have bigger things to worry about anyway :)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »

Sorry but when a manager leaves a club regardless of the circumstances it's ridiculous to blame him for the shit we are in 5 years later.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »

You didn't dream those. But had we given the best part of three hundred million quid to a better manager with greater vision and a proper strategy you may now be reminiscing about top four finishes, Champions League football and cup finals that didn't end in tears.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2015, 07:55:17 PM »
History will show that after Villa he went to Sunderland followed the same transfer spending and left them in the shit just like us..

Imo with budget he had here 6th was a bare minimum requirement and that's all he achieved ,any other half decent manger would have managed the same.

You mean like the ex Chelsea manager with a title winning squad? O'Neil did a largely good job over the first 3 seasons.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »

Sorry but when a manager leaves a club regardless of the circumstances it's ridiculous to blame him for the shit we are in 5 years later.

The current malaise isn't all his fault, but he sowed the seeds of our demise.  Or do you think that Leeds fans think the Champions League semi final was worth the price they've had to pay since?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2015, 08:16:32 PM »

It depends what shite he's left you with. And, I realise that he was not operating entirely in a vacuum, but he was calling the shots on the long-term expensive deals that we have only fairly recently rinsed through the system.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »

The current malaise isn't all his fault, but he sowed the seeds of our demise.  Or do you think that Leeds fans think the Champions League semi final was worth the price they've had to pay since?

And I bet they still blame Peter Ridsdale.

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 08:24:54 PM »

I bet  they dont go on about him like we do about O'Neill

Online GarTomas

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2015, 08:27:36 PM »

They're not fickle they just don't like him....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal