collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We've got one of the best training facilities in the world...  (Read 7557 times)

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
Re: We got one of the best training facilities in the world...
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2015, 04:01:40 PM »
We should try and get some of Southamptons youth team trainers on board.They seem to have an excellent set up.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: We've got one of the best training facilities in the world...
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2015, 04:06:55 PM »
We should try and get some of Southamptons youth team trainers on board.They seem to have an excellent set up.

They were mostly pinched by Fulham a couple of years ago I seem to remember.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2015, 04:25:31 PM »
i don't think there is any right or wrong way to run a youth system & whilst our end game is always to get players through to be 1st team regulars it is also about getting as many of the lads to be in a position to have a career at a level of football & supporting those that don't.  Have we succeeded in either of those

Of the latter I reckon we must be up there with the best of them. Even when you consider random types like Bobby Olejnik and Zoltan Steiber forged a pretty solid professional career.

There must be a good three dozen of so former Villa youth teamers playing league football at the moment, I reckon there won't be many teams that have more.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »
case in point is Lewis Kinsella, left back where we have been struggling, the lad is 21 - if he ain't good enough now then get rid rid.

Get rid of a young player just because he hasn't had a crack in a team that's low on confidence and stranded at the bottom?

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2015, 07:38:52 PM »
case in point is Lewis Kinsella, left back where we have been struggling, the lad is 21 - if he ain't good enough now then get rid rid.

Get rid of a young player just because he hasn't had a crack in a team that's low on confidence and stranded at the bottom?

case in point

if you are good enough you are old enough, did we say to gary shaw you cant play yet because youre too young?

we shoehorn bacuna in at left back but have a 21 year old left back in the reserves/u21s so why aint he playing? if he's not ready he should be on loan and if he's not good enough get rid.

it really is that simple.

if he has played for the under 21's for two years and cant get in the first team whem we have had the shittest start to a season in our history when we dont have a recognised left back then he has no future here

Online Clampy

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2015, 07:54:07 PM »

case in point

if you are good enough you are old enough, did we say to gary shaw you cant play yet because youre too young?

we shoehorn bacuna in at left back but have a 21 year old left back in the reserves/u21s so why aint he playing? if he's not ready he should be on loan and if he's not good enough get rid.

it really is that simple.

if he has played for the under 21's for two years and cant get in the first team whem we have had the shittest start to a season in our history when we dont have a recognised left back then he has no future here

You think we should play him, but you also suggest he might not be good enough so get rid of him? Not sure I follow your logic. He's 20, he's got plenty of time.

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 08:07:38 PM »
he is 21 and has played for the under 21's for what two seasons? so playing for the u21's hasnt helped to prepare him for the first team

garde doesnt rate him as he would rather play bacuna who isnt a left back ahead of him

so playing for the under 21's is doing nothing for his development as he isnt deemed good enough for a team rock bottom of the league. when will he be ready then? 22? 23? 24?

he isnt progressing in the u21's so how else is he going to improve?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:12:30 PM by oswald funkletrumpet »

Online Clampy

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »
he is 21 and has played for the under 21's for what two seasons? so playing for the u21's hasnt helped to prepare him for the first team

garde doesnt rate him as he would rather play bacuna who isnt a left back ahead of him

so playing for the under 21's is doing nothing for his development as he isnt deemed good enough for a team rock bottom of the league. when will he be ready then? 22? 23? 24?

he isnt progressing in the u21's so how else is he going to improve?

He's already been out on loan and i'm sure at some point he will again. I think playing Bacuna there is the right thing to do for now given the position we're in. If we were mid-table, then i'd agree with you. He'll get his chance at some point and if he doesn't, then maybe he will move on.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2015, 12:49:31 AM »
facilities is nothing if you don't have personnel to use it properly.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2015, 02:44:40 AM »

They're a very good example of having continuity in running the football side of the club - Les Reed as Head of Football Development since 2010 has headed up the youth set-up, scouting, sports science etc as well as being on the board. Then whatever happens with coaches/managers coming or going that structure stays in place. I guess (hope) that's what we're hoping to achieve by having Almstadt in a similar position.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 02:41:16 PM »
I think writing a player off at 20 or 21, given what Jamie Vardy has achieved this season would be a bit foolish. At 20/21 he was playing non-league football.

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 02:58:30 PM »
I think writing a player off at 20 or 21, given what Jamie Vardy has achieved this season would be a bit foolish. At 20/21 he was playing non-league football.

Totally different

Vardy was plying his trade in the lower leagues and hadn't been spotted

Kinsella for example has played for our U21's for 2 seasons and isn't deemed good enough to make the step up for the team that is stinking the division out.

Hopefully Garde will shift him out on loan at the same time he gets rid of some of the deadwood in January

Offline mike

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »
facilities is nothing if you don't have personnel to use it properly.
I own a very good guitar but it sounds shit when I play it. I am humble enough to know why.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal