collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 01:28:47 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 01:28:12 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 01:25:44 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by usav
[Today at 01:25:15 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:22:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 01:19:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 01:10:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brian Little - my sporting life.  (Read 8704 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Brian Little - my sporting life.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »
10.00 PM tomorrow night (20/12) talksport. Sir Brian talks about his career with the excellent Danny Kelly. Should be worth a listen.
Look forward to that and Danny Kelly will treat  Sir Brian with utmost respect.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 09:58:47 PM »

One word somes him up
Legend
With a capital l

Brilliant unintended fail.

Offline LTA

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 10:15:03 PM »
Sad that I never saw Brian play, but one of few people to be successful as a player and then a manager at the same club.  Can't wait to hear some his stories about Ron Saunders.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 11:13:43 PM »
Fantastic listening, as you'd expect. Quite why he's not involved with us in some capacity is beyond me. I'm not saying as Manager, but his love and passion for us is pouring out of this show.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 11:32:51 PM »
Could not agree more Des,

Offline luke95

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »
There's no doubt whatsoever he's one of us.

Offline LTA

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 11:54:44 PM »
Clearly regretted going to West Brom

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 11:55:02 PM »
Much as I adore him, I can't think of a job he could do for us. he's been out of top-level football too long to have any sort of on the pitch role and he hasn't got the media savvy or profile of a BFR to be the presidential figure we need. The other problem is that he's been away too long; there's a good proportion of our support who only know him as a vaguely-remembered manager.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 11:58:57 PM »
Let's not tarnish the great man with the big shitty mark of cain that this season is going to leave on many of the club's personnel.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:01:54 AM by LeeB »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 12:25:29 AM »
Much as I adore him, I can't think of a job he could do for us. he's been out of top-level football too long to have any sort of on the pitch role and he hasn't got the media savvy or profile of a BFR to be the presidential figure we need. The other problem is that he's been away too long; there's a good proportion of our support who only know him as a vaguely-remembered manager.
The one thing he said when it was put to him that the American owner had not got to grips with owning us was, and I paraphrase. "You could say that but I would also look at the players that have been bought and how much effort I put into getting the right players in"
Maybe not now but having someone like him involved in the decisions about recruitment could have helped us dodge some bullets.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 12:27:55 AM »
The one thing he said when it was put to him that the American owner had not got to grips with owning us was, and I paraphrase. "You could say that but I would also look at the players that have been bought and how much effort I put into getting the right players in"
Maybe not now but having someone like him involved in the decisions about recruitment could have helped us dodge some bullets.

Top end player recruitment was hardly Brian's strength. Collymore, Curcic...

Offline peter w

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 12:40:50 AM »
It really should be on next Friday.

He shouldn't have to work on his birthday.

Applauds.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 12:45:55 AM »

Interestingly he admitted his mistake trying to fit Stan into the team, I had allways believed that Stan was down to Doug.
I guess I am a bit of a romantic as far as Little is concerned and appreciate the way he managed, played and feels for the club.

Offline peter w

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 12:48:27 AM »

Whilst that is true maybe we will see more personality coming out of him if he wanted to be the presidential figure. he would throw himself into it and I think he could learn the media side of it, too. Because he'd be motivated. A motivated Brian Little as a player and a manager had an attacking flair. I think more truly reflects his personality and wasn't it someone like John Gidman who said that Brian Little was more of a 70s maverick styled person. Learn the media side and let that person shine through.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 01:25:20 AM »

I think Peter Taylor was Cloughie's main man for player acquisitions.

As for he who walked on water, communication with the fans was not a strength, either.

Remember the fiasco about whether he purchased Savo having only seen  a DVD? No straight answer was ever forthcoming.

In fact, I always got the impression that he did not think it was any of our business, and it was between himself and "Mr. Ellis". 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal