collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paddy Reilly  (Read 10550 times)

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

Re: Paddy Reilly
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »
I said in the summer and got shouted down for it that I know someone who has dealings with Reilly at the club and says that he hasn't got a fucking clue..........

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 09:36:43 AM »
Do you think we have scouts watching other teams and watching other players?

Why bother when we have Paddy and PROZONE doing a sound job from an office and saving us money?

The way that it currently happens (at Villa and pretty much every club in the top four divisions) is we look at data to see which players are doing important things better than our current players. We then go and watch those players and decide who we should bid for.

Are you suggesting that we skip the bit about "researching the player first" and just send scouts to matches around the world at random?

That strikes me as a rather inefficient way of doing things.

Nah, we should go back to the good days under MON.

See who looked good on MOTD highlights and wave a contract 50% bigger than they were worth for at least 2 years longer than they'd be useful under their noses and call it job done.

Shorey, Habib Beye, Zat, Curtis Davies, Carlos Cuellar, Stephen Warnock, NRC, Ivanhoe. The list, whilst not endless, is certainly extensive.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »
There is no transfer committee. Infamous or otherwise.

Offline levico

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
His haircut really bothers me
Whats underneath it is of some concern as well.

There's nothing underneath it.

Offline cdward

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 10:25:04 AM »
Paddy Reilly was hired by Fox, who was hired by Lerner, to:
1)spend less money on transfer fees,
2) on younger players with lower wages
3)who can be sold on at profit.
He has been largely successful on points 1 and 2, and probably Traore, Grealish, Veretout, Ayew, Amavi will enable him to achieve point 3, so he will be here for a while yet.
It's all about the money.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
He in my list of ****** associated with my club.  It's getting worryingly large.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »
I think some are missing the vital point here.

His signings have largely added nothing whatsoever to the Vila and we are about to get relegated in almost record time.

I know he can only spend what's he's given but for a £50 million return I think even Lernerr is entitled to expect more than 6 points by mid December.  His signings have been a failure, along with everyone else in the squad I might add.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 10:38:49 AM »
Paddy Reilly was hired by Fox, who was hired by Lerner, to:
1)spend less money on transfer fees,
2) on younger players with lower wages
3)who can be sold on at profit.
He has been largely successful on points 1 and 2, and probably Traore, Grealish, Veretout, Ayew, Amavi will enable him to achieve point 3, so he will be here for a while yet.
It's all about the money.

A championship club will not get £7m for Traore who hasn't one anything in football yet. He didn't find Grealish. We wont get £7m for Veretout in the Championship. We won't get around £9m for Ayew in the Championship and we won't get anything for Amavi because he's injured.

We might have got players in on lower wages but we certainly won't be making any profit on the players signed in the summer.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
As much as we want to pick holes and focus blame, I think the quality of the squad is testament to the directive being sent down from above. Ultimately, I believe, the plan for the summer just gone was to spend the Benteke money on relatively cheap, unproven talent from abroad with the intention of getting lucky and finding the next Benteke to repeat the cycle and slowly progress up the league. maximum effort scouting, minimum net outlay, maximum profit to reinvest. To be fair, its is too early to judge, but who is to say that had we managed to secure 13th-14th place for the next couple of years, we wouldnt have been entertaining 30m bids for Amavi, Veretout or Traore? If you have an owner who no longer wants to invest then its a relatively sound plan in theory. The reasons for why it hasnt worked in practice are plentiful and not worth going into on this post but what I will say is the OP has negated his argument a little by the virtue that Benteke, Coutinho, Moreno, Sturridge (had he not been plagued by injury) and Can could probably turn enough profit alone to cover the outlay for the entire list.

And who's to say if we hadn't won the league all our players would be worth £20m plus? We wont because the players bought are not good enough. These group of players were never going to finish 13th or 14th, they're crap, the proof is in the pudding. We've lost nearly every single game weve played for 4 months.

Our transfer goal cannot be to simply make a bit of profit, it has to be to find players that can be moulded in to a team that can achieve something, so my point hasn't been negated, the list of signings have been mostly terrible and for huge sums of money. Benteke, Moreno, Coutinho and Sturridge wouldn't command transfer fee's totalling £230m odd would they.

Offline cdward

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 10:45:07 AM »
The problem appears that no-one with football knowledge inside the club is convinced it is a good idea.
Look at the team Kevin McDonald picked.
Look at the likes of Allardyce and Pulis, they wouldn't work with the same conditions.
It is a gamble that hasn't worked.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 10:45:50 AM »
A championship club will not get £7m for Traore who hasn't one anything in football yet. He didn't find Grealish. We wont get £7m for Veretout in the Championship. We won't get around £9m for Ayew in the Championship and we won't get anything for Amavi because he's injured.

I agree that nobody would pay those fees. Which is good, because they will be the players who will get us back up.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 10:48:05 AM »
The problem appears that no-one with football knowledge inside the club is convinced it is a good idea.
Look at the team Kevin McDonald picked.
Look at the likes of Allardyce and Pulis, they wouldn't work with the same conditions.
It is a gamble that hasn't worked.

The team Mcdonald picked was 2 fingers up at everyone at Aston Villa, it was terrible and wasn't for the benefit of the club at all.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »

I agree that nobody would pay those fees. Which is good, because they will be the players who will get us back up.

I think the players that will get us back up aren't at the club yet. New goalkeeper, new centre back, new centre mid, new centre forward. An entire spine of a team for a spineless team.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »

I think the players that will get us back up aren't at the club yet. New goalkeeper, new centre back, new centre mid, new centre forward. An entire spine of a team for a spineless team.

I disagree with the probable exception of a new goalkeeper.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 01:09:19 PM »
There is no transfer committee. Infamous or otherwise.

I don't buy into that at all (not a dig at you but the information)
There has been too much chatter about it and I think it was also reflected in Sherwood's team selections.

I actually don't think the theory is too bad. What we needed to do was buy experience and have a season of consolidation first - and also had a manager that was behind it.

This is obviously written with hindsight.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal