collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Arsenal Post-Match Thread  (Read 34475 times)

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
Re: Aston Villa vs Arsenal Post-Match Thread
« Reply #315 on: December 14, 2015, 05:10:14 PM »
And I think that's what Garde means when he says we are naïve...we allow teams like Arse to do pretty much what they are good at before realising/being told not to let them.
I listened to the Everton/Norwich game on Saturday and it was clear by half time that Everton should have scored about 6 and only needed to turn up for the 2nd half and they had it won...then Norwich simply didn't let them play and took the game to them and were unlucky not to win the game.
Somehow, I can't see us having the gumption, strength and attitude to be able to do that.
I hope I'm wrong. 

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #316 on: December 14, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »
Even with the best laid plans we will allways make goal costing errors, the delay in the refs decision somehow gets away from the point that Hutton lets Walcott get wrong side of him then pulls him down even though Walcott would have to do a lot to score from there particularly if the defender is putting you under pressure.
It happens every week and this is why we keep losing.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #317 on: December 14, 2015, 05:20:37 PM »

Let's be honest anyone who thinks we played well or did ok are kidding themselves

Or do they just have a different opinion of the game to you? I thought we were ok, not great by any means but we wasn't awful.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #318 on: December 14, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »
Even with the best laid plans we will allways make goal costing errors, the delay in the refs decision somehow gets away from the point that Hutton lets Walcott get wrong side of him then pulls him down even though Walcott would have to do a lot to score from there particularly if the defender is putting you under pressure.
It happens every week and this is why we keep losing.

Good point. It should have been a penalty and the way it was given has taken the focus away from the poor defending.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2015, 05:51:17 PM »
From where I was sitting I thought we were doing okay until the penalty, which I thought was harsh at the time and didn't make sense being given by the linesman - someone on here said it was given by the 4th official?
Both MOTD2 and today's Times, in the person of Howard Webb, say it was the other linesman, on the Witton Lane side, who told the ref it was a foul, not the 4th official (who's not allowed to get involved).

I haven't thrown the towel in yet, and I'll be at Newcastle next Saturday, but my sense of hope is simply running out.
Same here on all three counts!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:53:23 PM by frank »

« Reply #320 on: December 14, 2015, 06:42:39 PM »
Thanks for the info frank...but it makes it even more puzzling to me! How could the linesman so far away see it so clearly to make such a key decision?

I'll keep an eye out for you on Saturday...your intense media coverage, celebrity status and star quality make you instantly recognisable.
If I've got the right specs on! ;-)

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #321 on: December 14, 2015, 07:07:22 PM »

I'd play 3 central defenders

To me, this just means increasing the chances of a calamitous fuck-up by 50%

I think we have to try something different though.  I would like to see us go 4-2-3-1 at home and have a go at teams. I have seen enough of Hutton and Sanchez and would go with:

Guzan

Richards    Okore      Clark      ?   

Veretout    Gana

Adama      Gil / Grealish        Ayew

?

I'm hoping the two question marks can be sorted very early in the January window.

« Reply #322 on: December 14, 2015, 07:12:46 PM »
I was half expecting to see young Kinsella at left back yesterday and doubly disappointed to see Bacuna! Thought he was bloody awful. 

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #323 on: December 14, 2015, 08:46:20 PM »

I think we have to try something different though.  I would like to see us go 4-2-3-1 at home and have a go at teams. I have seen enough of Hutton and Sanchez and would go with:

Guzan

Veretout    Gana

?

I'm hoping the two question marks can be sorted very early in the January window.
?'s can be occupied right now by both Illori and Kozak. Mind you, I'd stick Sinclair up top, and if he ain't doing it with decent service, then fire on Kozak. But what do the fuck do I know?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #324 on: December 14, 2015, 09:12:53 PM »

Guzan

Veretout    Gana

?

?'s can be occupied right now by both Illori and Kozak. Mind you, I'd stick Sinclair up top, and if he ain't doing it with decent service, then fire on Kozak. But what do the fuck do I know?

Sinclair's performance up top at home to Stoke was as bad as anything produced by Flabby and Just-Head this season, gutless, one paced, power puff. He had it all

its re-arranging the decks on the titanic a bit time I fear.

Do agree with Richards, Okore, Clark and one other at the back, Lescott should be given a free transfer in Jan along with Senderos.

Unfortunately we dont have any alternative to Sanchez in the middle and Gueye/Veretout need to make up the three.

Ayew seems better on the left but maybe he needs to go up top and Jack-Who given a chance on the left again. For next weekend might aswell start Traore on the right. Dummett is crap

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #325 on: December 14, 2015, 10:03:55 PM »

Guzan

Richards Okore Clark

Bacuna             Gana?         ??? Lescott/Richardson or Vertout/Sanchez (are either of them left footed?)

Ayew or Gill            Grealish

Kozak Traore

or

Guzan

Richards Okore Clark

Bacuna               Gana?                ??? Lescott/Richardson or Vertout/Sanchez (are either of them left footed?)

Traore          Gill            Grealish

Ayew

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal