collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: BFI Football on film  (Read 8151 times)

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
BFI Football on film
« on: December 09, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:01:52 PM by b23 »

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
Re: BFI Football on film
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 03:41:47 PM »
brilliant b23 as I love stuff like this...

UTV
The Doc

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
Cheers Doc.

The 3rd link is a 1962 seven minute documentry about a 15 year old Lionel Martin who is just about to finish school and sign for The Villa.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »
http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-report-on-aston-villa-1971/

Great find, I really enjoyed this.
Villa Park as I remember it.
Jimmy Gibson saying "..this is the most perfect club ever created"
Willie Anderson, Pat McMahon, Andy Lochhead.
Vic Crowe and then Doug at his smarmiest best.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 06:11:15 PM »
This sounds fabulous I can't wait to see it but you need to subscribe ? Can't view it on my mac.

Offline Rupert

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 06:28:15 PM »
brilliant thats how how i remember villa park in my youth,thanks so much,have often tried to explain to my kids how big the old holte was.

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 06:34:01 PM »
This sounds fabulous I can't wait to see it but you need to subscribe ? Can't view it on my mac.

No need to subscribe.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 06:47:25 PM »
The film was made during the week in the run up to the 1971 League Cup Final.
A few days earlier we had lost 3-1 at Bury in the league. The players obviously had one eye on Wembley.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 08:08:55 PM »
Cheers Doc.

The 3rd link is a 1962 seven minute documentry about a 15 year old Lionel Martin who is just about to finish school and sign for The Villa.

Lionel Martin had more close skills than any Villa player I have seen since. That goal he scored in the cup against Southampton,from Dave Rudge's centre will stick in my mind for ever. In front of a near 60,000 crowd as well.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 10:57:12 PM »
Great stuff b23! Many thanks.
Always thought Lionel Martin was greatly underrated as a player...he had some lovely touches and I think most Villa fans at the time thought quite a lot of him.

Offline levico

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »
Great stuff b23! Many thanks.
Always thought Lionel Martin was greatly underrated as a player...he had some lovely touches and I think most Villa fans at the time thought quite a lot of him.

Yes Lionel was a tremendous player. Great feet and dribbling ability. He just lacked the killer touch in front of goal but very exciting to watch.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 02:46:24 PM »
and that goal he chipped against Carlisle Utd on a Wednesday night under the floodlights when he was right by the touchline along the Witton Lane Stand.
Extraordinary wouldn't be an exaggeration to describe it.

Lionel Messi wouldn't have tried that.  Mind you Lionel Messi wouldnt have the pleasure of playing Carlisle Utd!

Offline gregavfc69/70

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 05:24:25 PM »
Fascinating piece of film. Disappointing though that we did not seem to see Lionel in action on the pitch itself after such a big build up.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
Great find, thanks for posting.
Good to see the old Villa players and also ATV's Simon Smith, a memory from my childhood!
Yes a shame we didn't see Lionel actually playing, he had many clubs interested in him as a youngster and his ambitions of playing for England in a World Cup were nowhere near realised, he in fact showed great unfulfilled promise and ended his Villa days being transferred for a nominal fee to non-league Worcester City.
As other posters have said though, he had tremendous close control, often looking as if the ball was tied to his foot, and good holding-up and dribbling ability in tight spaces, but was never a prolific scorer or had any pace at all.
I remember the Doc used him as a centre forward, and the Carlilse goal sticks in my mind as well as the winners against QPR and Southampton in the Cup, both 'Johnny on the spot' rebounds in the six yard box from memory.
A clever player who was tipped for great things, sadly another unfulfilled Villa youngster.

Offline ronshirt

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 09:36:19 PM »
Report on Aston Villa 1971: that's my favourite Villa Park. I started off watching from the Witton - there was a lovely old Victorian building behind (left over from the original pleasure grounds) where I used to get my half-time Bovril. After a few games I clocked that small boys at half-time were blagging their way through the transfer stile to the Holte End - monkey see monkey do.  And I had one of those tracksuits - 15 bob. Took me ages to save up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal