collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 1874 Suite & Restaurant  (Read 10153 times)

Offline Nelson Lodge

1874 Suite & Restaurant
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:01:44 AM »
Regrettably this post is a bit of a moan. Yesterday 7th December my wife and I attended the Christmas luncheon of the Pensioners Association of our former employers in the 1874 Suite. About 160 people in attendance for the second occasion the event had been held there. Whilst the starters and dessert were satisfactory the main traditional turkey course was dreadful. My wife commented that she could not recall having a worse turkey dinner, and that includes my cooking efforts! We made our feelings known at the time and I shall be writing to the association chair person. If they decide to hold  next year's "do" there we and our guests will give it a miss.

That was bad enough but there was also the chaos surrounding the parking arrangements. Information received from the pensioners association was to drive to Trinity Road and park off road there. However, since events in Paris the club had decided to tighten up security, but may be they omitted to tell the association organiser. So the gates and car park entrance by the restaurant entrance on Trinity Road were closed and locked with the exception of a manned pedestrian access only gate. Consequently there was a constant stream of cars arriving and being redirected to either the Witton Lane entrance and car park or the one behind the Holte End. In our case my wife (she has MS) uses a power wheel chair and had to be unloaded onto the road (not very H&S with constant passing traffic) via a ramp before going through the pedestrian gate. I then had to turn the car round and go and park behind the Holte. On leaving we had to do this procedure in reverse, but this time with the added bonus of waiting for about 10 minutes whilst the guy with the key to unlock the padlock on the gate was found.

I have supported Villa all my life, just entered my 70s, been both a season ticket holder and shareholder. Dad born in Nelson Road, mom (Not mum!) lived in Lodge Road. I am dismayed at the malaise that has once again descended upon our great club. Goodness knows what other pensioners thought of yesterday and there were plenty of supporters of other Midland clubs amongst us: I know that because the guest speaker asked for and got a show of hands on who supported which club.

Offline The Villa Werewolf

• GM : 13.07.2015
Re: 1874 Suite & Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »
I am dismayed at the malaise that has once again descended upon our great club. Goodness knows what other pensioners thought of yesterday and there were plenty of supporters of other Midland clubs amongst us: I know that because the guest speaker asked for and got a show of hands on who supported which club.

While I understand your sentiment, I think to suggest that a poorly cooked turkey is indicative of the current situation surrounding the club is a bit of an overreaction. Particularly given that our hospitality and events provision consistently wins awards for being among the best in the country.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »
I am dismayed at the malaise that has once again descended upon our great club. Goodness knows what other pensioners thought of yesterday and there were plenty of supporters of other Midland clubs amongst us: I know that because the guest speaker asked for and got a show of hands on who supported which club.

While I understand your sentiment, I think to suggest that a poorly cooked turkey is indicative of the current situation surrounding the club is a bit of an overreaction. Particularly given that our hospitality and events provision consistently wins awards for being among the best in the country.

I blame Westwood. If he stopped pointing at the turkey and just got it out the oven, the damn thing wouldn't have been so dry.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 04:10:16 PM »

I blame Westwood. If he stopped pointing at the turkey and just got it out the oven, the damn thing wouldn't have been so dry.

This made me giggle, very good.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 04:17:12 PM »
I cant even be arsed to think about constructing a poorly conceived pun with the word 'fowl' in there somewhere.

Offline conman

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 04:33:35 PM »
Regrettably this post is a bit of a moan. Yesterday 7th December my wife and I attended the Christmas luncheon of the Pensioners Association of our former employers in the 1874 Suite. About 160 people in attendance for the second occasion the event had been held there. Whilst the starters and dessert were satisfactory the main traditional turkey course was dreadful. My wife commented that she could not recall having a worse turkey dinner, and that includes my cooking efforts! We made our feelings known at the time and I shall be writing to the association chair person. If they decide to hold  next year's "do" there we and our guests will give it a miss.

That was bad enough but there was also the chaos surrounding the parking arrangements. Information received from the pensioners association was to drive to Trinity Road and park off road there. However, since events in Paris the club had decided to tighten up security, but may be they omitted to tell the association organiser. So the gates and car park entrance by the restaurant entrance on Trinity Road were closed and locked with the exception of a manned pedestrian access only gate. Consequently there was a constant stream of cars arriving and being redirected to either the Witton Lane entrance and car park or the one behind the Holte End. In our case my wife (she has MS) uses a power wheel chair and had to be unloaded onto the road (not very H&S with constant passing traffic) via a ramp before going through the pedestrian gate. I then had to turn the car round and go and park behind the Holte. On leaving we had to do this procedure in reverse, but this time with the added bonus of waiting for about 10 minutes whilst the guy with the key to unlock the padlock on the gate was found.

I have supported Villa all my life, just entered my 70s, been both a season ticket holder and shareholder. Dad born in Nelson Road, mom (Not mum!) lived in Lodge Road. I am dismayed at the malaise that has once again descended upon our great club. Goodness knows what other pensioners thought of yesterday and there were plenty of supporters of other Midland clubs amongst us: I know that because the guest speaker asked for and got a show of hands on who supported which club.

yeah thats bad mate ,, i bet if it was a bunch of corporate business men they would have cooked the food properly and would have let them park anywhere ,, even right at the restaurant entrance

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
A bit difficult for someone with MS to take the bus?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 07:09:58 PM »
While I understand your sentiment, I think to suggest that a poorly cooked turkey is indicative of the current situation surrounding the club is a bit of an overreaction.

Indeed.

I would have thought "a thoroughly cooked goose" would be a more appropriate metaphor.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »

yeah thats bad mate ,, i bet if it was a bunch of corporate business men they would have cooked the food properly and would have let them park anywhere ,, even right at the restaurant entrance

It has clearly had a profound effect on you as you're down to just the two commas now.

I reckon we can get you through this, Conman.

Drop the second comma - in fact, never, ever have a comma following a comma. Then if you could just lose the space before the remaining comma, and have one space after it, we're there.

Together we can do this.

We are all here for you.

#prayforcommamanconman

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 07:17:10 PM »
The Goose we have in goal can phluck off an'all.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 07:36:40 PM »
It has clearly had a profound effect on you as you're down to just the two commas now.

I reckon we can get you through this, Conman.

Drop the second comma - in fact, never, ever have a comma following a comma. Then if you could just lose the space before the remaining comma, and have one space after it, we're there.

Together we can do this.

We are all here for you.

#prayforcommamanconman

#WriteLikeLions

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 10:27:48 PM »

Does sound a bit poor to me. The club doesn't seem able to get anything right these days. 

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »

Does sound a bit poor to me. The club doesn't seem able to get anything right these days. 

They do lots right; for example there have probably been thousands of people who have had perfectly good and enjoyable functions there this month. Without downcrying what sounds like a regrettable breakdown in communication, this doesn't equate to an ability to get anything right.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 07:03:28 AM »
I cant even be arsed to think about constructing a poorly conceived pun with the word 'fowl' in there somewhere.

There must be one about turkeys voting for Christmas as well

#howlowhavewefallen.

Offline brackley

• GM : 13.04.2025
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 08:07:39 AM »
The turkey was a little dry and he couldn't find anywhere to park the car. Broken bloody Britain.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal