collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A brief guide to the complex rivalries of Midlands football  (Read 8279 times)

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: A brief guide to the complex rivalries of Midlands football
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »
And someone needs to tell him it was Staunton not Mellberg (not that this makes the memory any more palatable).

It was definitely Mellberg.
Blimey I never knew! Have never brought myself to watch it again. You'll be telling me Father Christmas doesn't exist next.
Still boils my piss that Encklman didn't just calmly pick the ball out of the net and throw it towards the corner.  Just shows the value of players actually knowing the rules, had he done that and shouted corner, the ref would have
realised the error.  Still, made them happy for a couple of years.  This will be the best season since then for them, if we go down.

I always understood it to have stood because it brushed the bottom of Enckleman's boot on the way across the line; if it had been chucked in by Mellberg without a touch it wouldn't have counted.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 10:26:10 PM »
And someone needs to tell him it was Staunton not Mellberg (not that this makes the memory any more palatable).

Blimey I never knew! Have never brought myself to watch it again. You'll be telling me Father Christmas doesn't exist next.
Still boils my piss that Encklman didn't just calmly pick the ball out of the net and throw it towards the corner.  Just shows the value of players actually knowing the rules, had he done that and shouted corner, the ref would have
realised the error.  Still, made them happy for a couple of years.  This will be the best season since then for them, if we go down.

I always understood it to have stood because it brushed the bottom of Enckleman's boot on the way across the line; if it had been chucked in by Mellberg without a touch it wouldn't have counted.

That may be the case but the ref was 50 yards away with his back turned so how could he know?

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2015, 01:10:13 AM »

That may be the case but the ref was 50 yards away with his back turned so how could he know?

Because it was David Sodding Elleray.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2015, 01:54:29 AM »

Even if he'd been looking in the right direction I don't know how Elleray could have been sure Enckelman made contact with the ball - as he should have been to award the goal. I haven't watched it in years, but I remember it was impossible to say from all the action replays that there was any contact. If there was it was so minimal as to be practically invisible. It's almost as if Elleray was an incompetent git who crumbled under pressure. To be fair, had he disallowed it he probably would have been assaulted on the pitch by one of their apes.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »

Still by far the biggest c*** ever to have been allowed to referee.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »
They missed out this bit.

Villa fans: Spend their lives obsessed with Villa.
SHA: Spend their lives obsessed with Villa.
Bitters: Spend their lives obsessed with Villa.

That is the best summary.

All else is of little consqequence.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
An even briefer guide:-

Villa are ace.

Albion are garbage.
Blose are garbage.
Wolves are garbage.
Every other Midlands team is garbage.