collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Always look on the bright side of life  (Read 8953 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 05:03:01 AM »
After Saturdays defeat, I have done my mourning and now come out the other side. Unless we do something that has never been done by any team in the history of the premier league, we are going down.
Now, i'm old enough to remember the last relegation but more memorably I remember our year in the old second division. I can honestly only look back on it with fond memories, we were the big fish in the little pond.
Of course things could be different this time, football is a different beast these days, but having stunk the Premier League out the last 3 - 4 years, I will look forward to seeing a winning side again even if it is against poorer opposition.
So my message to the ones who haven't been here before is don't worry, it may not be as bad as you think, you may even enjoy it more than the last few years. Anybody know Graham Taylors number.

I remember the away games from that season fondly, the home matches not so much. Losing at home to Blose, Stoke, Oldham, Milwall etc and draws against colossi like Barnsley and Huddersfield.
did we lose to millwall at home that season? I thought we drew at home 2-2 first game. My memory's not the best though, admittedly.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 11:58:27 AM »
After Saturdays defeat, I have done my mourning and now come out the other side. Unless we do something that has never been done by any team in the history of the premier league, we are going down.
Now, i'm old enough to remember the last relegation but more memorably I remember our year in the old second division. I can honestly only look back on it with fond memories, we were the big fish in the little pond.
Of course things could be different this time, football is a different beast these days, but having stunk the Premier League out the last 3 - 4 years, I will look forward to seeing a winning side again even if it is against poorer opposition.
So my message to the ones who haven't been here before is don't worry, it may not be as bad as you think, you may even enjoy it more than the last few years. Anybody know Graham Taylors number.

I remember the away games from that season fondly, the home matches not so much. Losing at home to Blose, Stoke, Oldham, Milwall etc and draws against colossi like Barnsley and Huddersfield.
did we lose to millwall at home that season? I thought we drew at home 2-2 first game. My memory's not the best though, admittedly.

That game was the first game of the next season.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2015, 12:13:06 PM »

One of the few I missed but I think we lost 2-1 having a late equaliser ruled out.

Online Skerra

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
Mattjpa,

I'll have some of that please - £50 of mine says that if we get relegated, we will not come straight back up.

Are you up for that?

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2015, 02:58:22 PM »

Robbo,

We lost 1-2 at home to Millwall and I think we had a late equaliser disallowed (Aspinall offside from a shot that came back off the post) but I may be confusing that game with Leeds in the same season (another 1-2 defeat, with their goals coming from that annoying corner to the near post with a big fellow flicking it on for a second moose to power home a header).

Most of my good memories that season were away games.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »
I've accepted relegation, but only on the basis that we can shed ALL of the utter shit that we've carried for years (you know who they are), and we can build a team/squad that plays decent football and wins matches...I've almost forgotten what that's like. 

The big question is whether Garde is the man to do this - I'm not sure he is if I'm honest.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »
We will have the luxury of giving players like Gardner, Baker and Bennett a good chance at establishing themselves at the club

Alright, you've convinced me! ::)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2015, 04:00:10 PM »
So many seem to assume we'll go down and suddenly learn the art of winning games again.

I remember 87/88 very fondly too, but as said before, it's a totally different game now. Teams have rolled up to VP and taken the piss for years now and the way we're being run I don't see that changing just because we're in a different division.

Well... Ciaran Clark might find it easier to defend properly against Daryl Murphy than against Romelu Lukaku.

And Rudy Gestede might find it easier to score against Jonathan Spector than Vincent Kompany.

Kompany in goal? ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal