collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Even Fleetwood know what Sherwood is like.  (Read 9572 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Even Fleetwood know what Sherwood is like.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 11:14:15 PM »
Sherwood  made mistakes but  so has Garde.  I honestly don't think Uri Gela would have much chance of saving us this  season, not with the lack of investment in the team.  You lose your top 3 players from the end  of  last season.

Sherwood was not a bad manger you do sometimes need some tools to do the job.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 11:36:16 PM »

Sherwood was not a bad manger you do sometimes need some tools to do the job.

He was certainly a tool.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 11:38:18 PM »
I find it hard to get worked up about ex managers any more.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 12:11:35 AM »

Now I am 44 there are so many of them. It's exhausting

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 12:13:32 AM »

Now I am 44 there are so many of them. It's exhausting

You could be 4 and there would still be plenty of them.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 01:06:03 AM »
In fairness to Sherwood, he said all the right things about the club in that interview.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 01:28:22 AM »
There is a least a semblance of truth in Hoppo's proposition, in my experience.

Sections of our support have come to the view that the manager is not the major problem.

For example, in the Holte End, for Sherwood's last match, there were no anti Sherwood songs, but there were anti-Lerner songs. These were not "taken up" by the majority, and indeed there was some audible groaning, but several attempts were made.

Where I sit in the Upper Witton, quite a few fans have come to the conclusion that that changing he manager will not change much. This was most infuriating for me under the latter days of TSM1 and TSM2. I called them The Stoics because of their acceptance of he situation. They would reply that they would like to get rid of the owner, but they couldn't, so what was the point as any manager would face the same problems.

I was in favour of getting Fat Sam before Sunderland got him, purely because I think he would have kept us up. This is not to say I do not agree with the criticisms stacked against him. I just thought he was the one person who could get it done. If he saves Sunderland and we go down, when you consider that virtually everyone that has posted on the subject has said that their squad is far worse, I think the case will be proven.   

What a lot of people or underestimating, in my opinion, is the demorailzation of our support after so much sustained dreck. In this sense, 1967 is a more apt comparison than 20 years later.  Attendance figures and season ticket sales will prove this one way or the other.   

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 06:47:09 AM »
I am not aware of any mistakes Remi Garde has made.

I think the fans are falling into three blocks. One group says it is all the owners fault. That group sub divides into those who think Randy Lerner has been responsible for bad decision making and those who think he is not spending enough money. A second major group says the way forward should have been Pulis, Allardyce or Moyes to battle for Premiership survival. The third major block says we don't want to be like Stoke or the Stripes or Sunderland and embrace anti-football we are a proud club and want better than that.

The first group, the owner blamers must look at the £265 million just paid for 13% of Man City and ask themselves how can any owner compete with that level of spending.

The Pulis would have saved us group must simply ask themselves one question. Then what?  An eternity of battlers running through brick walls to stay out of the bottom three?

My own view for what it is worth is that the club has been bady run since the days of MON profligacy.  I would put most of the mistakes down to Randy Lerner's naivety and impulsiveness and the lack of management structure and direction.

I do believe that structure is now in place and that the club is being run competently and in the choice of Remi Garde we are planning for the medium and long term.

The dreadful situation in which we find ourselves is a culmination of mistakes and monumental blunders over player purchases and contracts which has to be sorted out before we can make forward momentum.

The future starts here.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 07:00:50 AM »

I think the fans are falling into three blocks. One group says it is all the owners fault. That group sub divides into those who think Randy Lerner has been responsible for bad decision making and those who think he is not spending enough money. A second major group says the way forward should have been Pulis, Allardyce or Moyes to battle for Premiership survival. The third major block says we don't want to be like Stoke or the Stripes or Sunderland and embrace anti-football we are a proud club and want better than that.

The first group, the owner blamers must look at the £265 million just paid for 13% of Man City and ask themselves how can any owner compete with that level of spending.

The Pulis would have saved us group must simply ask themselves one question. Then what?  An eternity of battlers running through brick walls to stay out of the bottom three?

My own view for what it is worth is that the club has been bady run since the days of MON profligacy.  I would put most of the mistakes down to Randy Lerner's naivety and impulsiveness and the lack of management structure and direction.

I do believe that structure is now in place and that the club is being run competently and in the choice of Remi Garde we are planning for the medium and long term.

The dreadful situation in which we find ourselves is a culmination of mistakes and monumental blunders over player purchases and contracts which has to be sorted out before we can make forward momentum.

The future starts here.

This.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »

The future starts here.

Superb post Brian (although possibly a tad over optimistic with the club now being run competently line - the jury is definitely out for me). I so hope you're right about the medium to long term plan.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 10:50:56 AM »
“You have people getting into the ear of the clubs and telling them it’s a little bit more sophisticated, that there’s more science to it. They are baffling them with figures, statistics and pie charts! These guys might do a good presentation, but where is the substance? Does it work? How many games have they actually been to? How long have they been in the game? Do they know what they are looking at?

I read that from Sherwoods article and my brain actually read it in David Brents voice. Im not even joking....

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 10:55:29 AM »

The future starts here.

Superb post Brian (although possibly a tad over optimistic with the club now being run competently line - the jury is definitely out for me). I so hope you're right about the medium to long term plan.

I agree with Brian and I think Garde is the correct appointment. From the situation we were in there was no guarantee that Pulis etc would have saved us. We need to plan for the long term, even if it means taking a step back to do so.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »
Quote from: Tim Sherwood
"These guys might do a good presentation, but where is the substance?"

The award for "breath-taking lack of self-awareness goes to..."

Offline Ormy Droid

• Oh I do like to be beside the seaside
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 10:58:04 AM »

The future starts here.

Yeah, competence would have meant sacking Sherwood and appointing Garde in the summer, not saddling ourselves with the likes of Gestede and Lescott, and not giving Bacuna and Westwood new long term contracts.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Quote from: Tim Sherwood
"These guys might do a good presentation, but where is the substance?"

The award for "breath-taking lack of self-awareness goes to..."
He might want to have a word with that doyen of the last crop of British managers Sam Allardyce about all those science and statistics things along with thinking about how you want to set your team up making best use of the resources at your disposal to fit the style of football you can coach.

Alternatively you can (based on appearance and the evidence of 10 games this season) go along with a random number generator to pick the match day squad, a twister wheel to pick the formation and a variation of pin the tail on the donkey to decide who plays where.  Then as a team talk something along the lines of

"Now go out there and show them what you're made of.  This is no place for anything other than real men.  Press high but sit deep, you've got to keep the ball better but hit Rudy early, as often as you can, balls into the channels for him to run onto.
Carlos? Where's Carlos.  Haven't I told you to get a fecking haircut? I binned Rico because of his, or was that because he was shit?  No he can't be shit he's not foreign.  Jordan?"
"Yes boss" x 3
"Only one of you fuckers, Amavi, it's you I'm talking to.  Take that bloody shirt off, you're not playing.  Rico's having a game because he's experienced and not foreign.  Lescott I told you to stand up 5 minutes ago."
"I'm trying boss, but this is as quick as I can go"
"Oh bollocks to this, Clacker, you'll have to play the first half until we can get our experienced, not foreign, proper man, defender down the tunnel."
"Alan? Where's Alan? Oh there you are. Now you're already on 3 bookings so we can't afford any more silly, thoughtless challenges OK?  But if that slippery little bastard of a winger comes near you, nobble the fucker. Show him what an experienced, not foreign, proper man can do."
"As for the rest of you, I can't think of anything else to say. Which of you cheeky caants just said first time for everything? Now just go out there, get in their faces, show me you're proper men, regardless of if you're foreign, inexperienced or just a bit shit.  No Gabby I'm not looking at you for any of those points."
"Which of you cheeky caants just said first time for everything?"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:44:14 AM by Villa in Denmark »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal