collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sports Personality of the Year 2015  (Read 10331 times)

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
Re: Sports Personality of the Year 2015
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2015, 10:23:14 PM »
achievement and personality which the award is supposedly designed for.

Is it? Or is "personality" just a word that suited at the time. It's a genuine question, I don't know the answer but realistically it goes to whoever has achieved the greatest sporting achievement regardless of personality.

Also surely having a "personality" shouldn't be confused with having a good personality as BBC newsreader Clive Myrie so eloquently put it when labelling Fury "a dickhead".

I personally can't stand the guy and if he did win, which he won't, it would be hugely cringeworthy watching him on stage, with his abhorrent cronies in tow, making his acceptance speech.

My money is still on him not being in the final vote and if his advisors have anything about them he most certainly won't be there on the night if he does make stay in the line up.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2015, 10:30:43 PM »
The 'Personality' bit of the title is really to thinly cover up the fact that it really is a popularity competition - just like every reality show such X Factor or Strictly - not necessarily about who is best.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2015, 05:46:25 PM »
I think they should have just used the word 'person', which would save all the ambiguity. I find the whole show abhorrent anyway. Lame, dry mouthed presenters making unfunny jokes to an audience of completely silent, deadly dull, rictus grinning sports people. Shudder.

Bottom line is it's literally impossible to elevate achievements in one sport above another, so the whole things is futile at its core.

I entirely agree with AC though. All this stuff about how 'even if you don't like him Fury has got a personality'. I bet he hears that a lot and really believes it about himself. In the same way Ricky Hatton ended up thinking he had a rapier like wit because he read too much of his own press and spent too much time with his hangers on.

Fury makes my toes curl. I had to watch his press conference shenanigans through my fingers. Ali he ain't. So, basically, I don't buy the argument that being a vacuous gobshite is the same thing as having a personality.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »
So I was chatting with Lizzie Armistead just now, she's rather nice so I'll be voting for Lizzie.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2015, 07:57:19 PM »
Isn't this all a load of luvvie cobblers that should have been done away with decades ago? Or at least renamed to something more fitting.

I mean, it lists Nigel Mansell, Steve Davis and Michael Owen as previous winners. Say no more.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2015, 08:44:11 PM »
So I was chatting with Lizzie Armistead just now, she's rather nice so I'll be voting for Lizzie.

Nice she is and also has had a brilliant season.  She gets my vote.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal