collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sports Personality of the Year 2015  (Read 10338 times)

Offline nigel

Re: Sports Personality of the Year 2015
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »
Peaty or Rutherford for me, I'm fed up of this being won by sports where they're paid a fortune and already get massive exposure.  Peaty I like because he's had a truly exceptional year and Rutherford because it's not often that someone can say they're the current holder of the olympic, world, commonwealth and european titles at the same time, that deserve a huge amount of attention which I don't think it's been given.  I picked Peaty in the list because I doubt he'll get many votes. I think Farah and Froome have incredibly strong claims because of the 'off-field' elements of their season they've had which have meant both have won major events under huge pressure.

I have to agree, Paul.
I would love someone like Rutherford or Peaty to win (have to admit I had to look up Adam Peaty, sorry) but, these guys are very much in the shadows of the high profile, even though their achievements are exceptional.

I reckon Mo Farrah will win it (I won't have a problem with that) He gets much more 'Air time' than the two above as he's the media darling, and I'm sure that helps.
Andy Murrey, sorry, the Davis Cup team, should win the Team prize

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »
I vote Lucy Bronze because I have absolutely no idea who she is and what she plays.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 11:26:25 AM »
Forgive my ignorance but what has Jessica Ennis-Hill achieved this year? Genuine question as I didn't realise she was still competing.

Surprised Joe Root hasn't made the shortlist, at the risk of sounding like a Mail reader I suspect the England ladies footballer is on the list so as not to make it too male.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »
Forgive my ignorance but what has Jessica Ennis-Hill achieved this year? Genuine question as I didn't realise she was still competing.

Won the World Championship. She took a year or so off to have a baby, this is her first year back.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 11:38:06 AM »
Tyson Fury, world champ and he has a personality! (to say the least)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 12:09:22 PM »
Joe Root

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 01:59:15 PM »
I would genuinely rather a Lucy Bronze get it than a Hamilton. Not just because I went to the game at ashton gate on Sunday and it was the first enjoyable game of football I've watched for about 4 years. I just think it's an opportunity to give some kudos to someone who grafts away in a sport where there aren't untold riches in it for them.

Offline nigel

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 08:10:20 PM »
I think Lucy Bronze will come third  :)

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 08:17:24 PM »
Tyson Fury, world champ and he has a personality! (to say the least)
so do his exes
one morecambe slapper updated her facebook status to
"omg I cant believe ive shagged the world champion"

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 09:21:36 PM »
I would give it to IR Bell for his two fine innings which decided the pivotal teat at Edgbaston.

This would completely piss off the twats in the Lahndahn meeja who have tried to write him out of the team since 2004, causing their heads to collectively explode.

Mission Accomplished.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 12:29:03 PM »

Won the World Championship. She took a year or so off to have a baby, this is her first year back.

Which is why she got my vote

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 12:52:18 PM »
I'd never heard of Tyson Fury until last weekend. And when I heard it, I thought he was probably from the USA...

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 01:06:44 PM »

I can't disagree with that but I worry that giving the best heptathlete in the world a reward for still being the best in the world despite having a baby is a little patronising.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 03:11:38 PM »

I can't disagree with that but I worry that giving the best heptathlete in the world a reward for still being the best in the world despite having a baby is a little patronising.

Yeah, it's just the tiny matter of putting her body through pregnancy and childbirth and motherhood and then getting back to world champion fitness, in arguably the hardest athletic discipline in women's sport. I can see how it would be patronising to recognise that as an achievement...

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 09:58:35 PM »
I'd never heard of Tyson Fury until last weekend. And when I heard it, I thought he was probably from the USA...

Same here. I'd never heard of him and even after the fight, I just assumed he was an American.

The reading I've done since suggests that him being World Champion is not something that this country should be proud of.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal