collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:21:16 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We Press on  (Read 7879 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
Re: We Press on
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 01:34:07 AM »
I thought you'd be angrier.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 01:54:08 AM »
I think apathy has got to all of us.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 03:03:18 AM »
I think there's an acceptance that this is the year.  Some of us have seen it before and know the signs.

It's been death by a thousand defeats for 5 years now, there's just no real fight left anymore.

No one likes it and the 35k there on Saturday haven't deserted the team and they won't. But there's only so much you can do or say.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 08:34:01 AM »
I can't remember the last time I was so devastated by a defeat and everything this result points to. I spent the whole of Saturday night feeling like bursting into tears. I actually thought Idrissa had a decent game and was possibly our best player along with Hutton. I totally agree about the 'fannying around'. I was going barmy about it to my son. Lack of confidence on the pitch, nerves in the stands and a wet pitch that was a cock up waiting to happen and we were fannying about with the ball at the back.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 08:42:16 AM »
In the pub after the match in an attempt to lift the gloom I suggested we have a sweep on which game our points tally might reach double figures. No takers which suggests that people have no confidence that it will happen at all.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 09:45:46 AM »
Daft things was I said to my mate at the end of the first half that, conceding the goal aside, that looked a pretty fluid attacking display.

If we could buy confidence I'd make it our record signing as that's the missing ingredient but, when you are getting beaten every single week its not going to come any time soon.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 11:03:06 AM »
Daft things was I said to my mate at the end of the first half that, conceding the goal aside, that looked a pretty fluid attacking display.

If we could buy confidence I'd make it our record signing as that's the missing ingredient but, when you are getting beaten every single week its not going to come any time soon.

Agree completely. The margins are so fine but if confidence is shot the tension and hesitancy in the team transmits itself to the stands and back again, particularly when the oppostion have the ball around our area.

It does feel we are too open for our position in the league. We were pretty good to watch in the first half but I would rather we got back to basics and aimed for clean sheets as a base to work from. It's possible Garde doesn't think we have the players to do that.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »

Agree completely. The margins are so fine but if confidence is shot the tension and hesitancy in the team transmits itself to the stands and back again, particularly when the oppostion have the ball around our area.

It does feel we are too open for our position in the league. We were pretty good to watch in the first half but I would rather we got back to basics and aimed for clean sheets as a base to work from. It's possible Garde doesn't think we have the players to do that.

The problem with that is that we certainly don't have the players to play the game/tactics we're currently trying.

We definitely have to go back to basics.  You won't win many if you're conceding three at home to teams like Watford. 

Play on the break with Kozak in the middle of Ayew and Traore. 

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 11:21:58 AM »

The problem with that is that we certainly don't have the players to play the game/tactics we're currently trying.

We definitely have to go back to basics.  You won't win many if you're conceding three at home to teams like Watford. 

Play on the break with Kozak in the middle of Ayew and Traore.

I think there is something going on (or not) with Kozak behind the scenes he can't even make the bench

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »
One of our regular posters who watches the rezzies says he looks unfit and out of his depth there, if he's not putting in the desired effort in training either then he's not going to make the squad. I can t say I've even been impressed by him.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »
Another day - 3 shitty goals, 2 of them somewhat fortunate/unfortunate would have left us annoyed/irritated and these things even up over the season.
Alas we are not living in Another Day. We are living in Dark Dark Days of Gloom.

And no-one can say we

2010-11 & 2011-12 we should never ever have been flirting with relegation.
2012-13 was understandable
2013-14 see 2010-11 & 2011-12

Since then 2 Great Cup ties aside we have been in decline. To quote our American cousins 'It Sucks'

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 11:39:46 AM »
One of our regular posters who watches the rezzies says he looks unfit and out of his depth there, if he's not putting in the desired effort in training either then he's not going to make the squad. I can t say I've even been impressed by him.

Fair enough - I saw him against Notts County and thought he looked good, albeit against tiring lower league opposition.

I can only seeing us get results if we play on the break with someone in the middle to hold the ball/flick on for guys with pace - are Gestede & Gabby the only other options?

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 12:18:26 PM »

Fair enough - I saw him against Notts County and thought he looked good, albeit against tiring lower league opposition.

I can only seeing us get results if we play on the break with someone in the middle to hold the ball/flick on for guys with pace - are Gestede & Gabby the only other options?

Gestede shouldn't be at VP, he is what he is namely a championship who will score with his head if he is running onto the ball, the rest of his play is fucking shit and for a big bloke he doesn't work centre halves enough.

gabby is no answer, please see previous 5 seasons

I would play Adama though the middle with Ayew. I know Adama is young, raw and inexperienced but he offered more in 20 mins on Saturday than Gabby ever will

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »
Good article Dave.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal