collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Comparisons with 1986-87  (Read 12001 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Comparisons with 1986-87
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 10:51:57 AM »
There's the argument that we were very fortunate that Sir Graham was willing to drop down a division to manage us. If anyone saved our arse last tie round, it was him.
I agree, but it was Ellis who was responsible for bringing him to the club. Just as Lerner is responsible for who he employs now.

By the same token, he was also responsible for bringing in Graham Turner and Billy McNeil.
It'll take your Turner and McNeill and offer McCleish, Lambert and Sherwood.

Another comparison for you - I understand the club were debt-free in 1987.  How much debt does the club currently carry presently to Lerner?

We may have been debt free, but it didn't stop us from being the best team in europe to a second division team inside 5 years.

Offline Rico

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 10:52:56 AM »
We were European Champions when Ellis took over. Relegated four seasons later. Ellis destroyed our one and only chance of consolidating that position and cementing our place amongst the football elite. We have never fully recovered from that.

Online Chris Harte

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »
We may have been debt free, but it didn't stop us from being the best team in europe to a second division team inside 5 years.
True, although I saw the debt-free thing as being more a crumb of comfort at the time rather than anything to cheer about. The amount we owe Lerner (is it into nine figures yet?) is going to be a serious impediment to us getting out of the Championship (at the right end) I would imagine.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »
True, although I saw the debt-free thing as being more a crumb of comfort at the time rather than anything to cheer about. The amount we owe Lerner (is it into nine figures yet?) is going to be a serious impediment to us getting out of the Championship (at the right end) I would imagine.

Well, he'll want to recoup some money back if and when he sells which is fair enough. As for the championship, we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »
The big difference now is the financial disparity between the top two divisions.  Back then it was all part of the Football League family and we were even featured live on television as part of the ITV deal.  The fact that no club was rolling in cash was in many respects made it a more level playing field than now. Not that we are in a position to complain: we were instrumental in the PL's inception and have enjoyed every penny of the rewards since then.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 11:25:48 AM »
This is the thing Top Deck, I am sure a few other ex-pats on here dread this with all their hearts (not saying non-ex-pats wont , not a better fan that you type of way), living abroad once your team drop out of the all engulfing Prem you drop of the radar, championship games being shown live are like rocking horse shit, I can see every Villa game I want to on Bein sports, so my feeling of connection is complete, I have been home twice in the last 8 years, so have taken in any game I can when I am there, but still can log onto H&V and moan with the rest of my Villa family and have a view as I have seen the game. That I fear for next season will not be the case and the longer Yankee Doodle Dandy stays here as stated earlier, we could be looking for FA Cup fixtures in August.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 11:38:22 AM »

No Championship ames shwn here on any medium that i know of. Meaning if we go down next season that's no live Villa games for me either in he flesh or live on Tv. That's not happened for me since 1980-81.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »
We will still be on Sky a lot, Leeds have been shown 5 times this season already so sure you can pick up a stream from somewhere.

Offline LTA

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 11:50:43 AM »
Billy Walker I would love to have your optimism, I can see us being cut adrift well before the January window and again this is Randy's Aston Villa if we do buy anyone it will be on the 31st January, after another 3 or 4 games without a point.
I really hope you are right as I think this could be a major disaster that 86/87 will not compare to if we go down,

We can't throw in the towel when there's six months of a season left, it's as simple as that.

Half the players seem to have.  Portsmouth put up more of a fight and they're players didn't even know if they were going to get paid on time.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2015, 12:32:34 PM »
There is no comparison to 86/87, the financial loss that will hit us this time will take many many years to get over if we actually ever do.

this 100%

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2015, 01:57:01 PM »
The smell at the club is worse than 86.

Well you could move away from the phantom Holte End Farter in them days.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »
The smell at the club is worse than 86.

Well you could move away from the phantom Holte End Farter in them days.

Indeed, that was a terrible problem in K at the time.  I much preferred the enduring smell of cigars.

Offline A Northern Soul

• Xxx
  • GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
I see the financial numbers game slightly differently. We have been on a level playing field in terms of sky riches with the remainder of the PL teams during this last five years and we have squandered ours, in the unlikely event that we stayed up is that business model likely to change? We would get more, as would everyone else and we would proportionately squander more on fees and wages and probably be no better off. It's hardly like we are building up the big cash reserve for the rainy day that George Osborne insanely obsesses about. So, we go down, we have significantly less revenue but for next season we have much more than our championship rivals barring those who come down with us. Some, only some, of our bonkers contracts will expire over the summer (CNZ for example on £65k a week means we save over £3m alone by not paying him). The question is can we spin it around in a season, this is where our business model needs to be more focused. If we can, and manage to come straight back up, we are back in the silly money world and can happily start squandering it aimlessly once more. PL cash is a nonsense, whether it was £1m or £100m is irrelevant, it inflates in line with players wages, transfer fees and agents cuts.

Offline AVFC Tom

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 03:48:52 PM »
It's also comparable to the 1966-67 season. Not finishing higher than 15th for 4 seasons and then on the 5th season we get relegated.  :(

Online tomd2103

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2015, 03:52:46 PM »
Billy Walker I would love to have your optimism, I can see us being cut adrift well before the January window and again this is Randy's Aston Villa if we do buy anyone it will be on the 31st January, after another 3 or 4 games without a point.
I really hope you are right as I think this could be a major disaster that 86/87 will not compare to if we go down,

I think it is fair to say we are adrift already.  7points is a big gap considering our form.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal