collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic January Departures  (Read 7727 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Realistic January Departures
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »

Too good for the Champoinship - Okores, Richards, Veretout, Gana, Gil, Ayew

Not too sure about that at all.  Taking yesterday as an example, none of the above stood out against a poor Watford side.  In fact, the only time a number of them have looked decent players was against Blues which speaks volumes really.  I could see Richards attracting interest if we went down, but that would be about it.

Well according to the pundits you need Premiership experience to stay up so we can farm the ne'er do wells on to an unsuspecting Derby or Middlesbrough or Brighton after all they all have Premiership experience.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 05:27:16 PM »
The line " to good for the championship" must mean there's a division between the premier and championship because these players are not good enough for the prem but to good for the championship.
But as usual we will see them go to another prem club and flourish

If we really have  all these players who are too good for the championship, why is that's where we're headed? If they were that good, we wouldn't find ourselves in the shit.

To clarify what I meant, these players will not play for us in the Championship, whether that's because they are too good, think they're too good or other teams think they're good enough for the Premier League, I can only guess. But the players we'll be left with are the ones nobody else wants & on the whole these are the players that cost us points week after week.

Who do you think will be desperate to leave and which clubs do you think will be looking to sign them?

If we assume that the players that we aren't all completely down on or believe that might be worth persevering with Ayew, Veretout, Sanchez, Gana, Gil, Amavi, Grealish, Traoré, Okore - I'd bet that their reduced Championship wages would be comfortably more than any of them were earning before they joined us. I can't imagine they will be leaving because they'd be earning much higher figures elsewhere. Joining Villa was a pretty big step-up from all their previous clubs (probably Gil aside), so I don't think they would really see sticking around as being beneath them.

See the likes of Hernandez and Diamé at Hull, Sandro and Fer at QPR - more often than not, players stick around these days.

Then add the ones who probably aren't good enough for the Premier League but would probably be pretty comfortable in the Championship - Gestede, Sinclair, Hutton, Bacuna.

I don't think we'd see too many leave that we would prefer to keep hold of. Probably Richards, but where's he going? On a free transfer he had the choice between us and Sunderland. He's not been as bad as others for us, but if nobody else wanted him in the summer I don't think there's going to be a huge fight for his services next summer.

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »
I'd hope to see the back of Cole, Senderos, N'Zogbia and Baker in January but would work on the basis we would be lucky to give them away never mind get a transfer fee for any of them!

Online tomd2103

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 11:27:41 PM »
The line " to good for the championship" must mean there's a division between the premier and championship because these players are not good enough for the prem but to good for the championship.
But as usual we will see them go to another prem club and flourish

If we really have  all these players who are too good for the championship, why is that's where we're headed? If they were that good, we wouldn't find ourselves in the shit.

To clarify what I meant, these players will not play for us in the Championship, whether that's because they are too good, think they're too good or other teams think they're good enough for the Premier League, I can only guess. But the players we'll be left with are the ones nobody else wants & on the whole these are the players that cost us points week after week.

If we assume that the players that we aren't all completely down on or believe that might be worth persevering with Ayew, Veretout, Sanchez, Gana, Gil, Amavi, Grealish, Traoré, Okore - I'd bet that their reduced Championship wages would be comfortably more than any of them were earning before they joined us. I can't imagine they will be leaving because they'd be earning much higher figures elsewhere. Joining Villa was a pretty big step-up from all their previous clubs (probably Gil aside), so I don't think they would really see sticking around as being beneath them.

Agree and there is a nucleus of decent young players there, who with a bit of confidence probably could be good top flight players.  What we need are a few quality players which they can fit around.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 11:38:17 PM »
I don't rate Gestede but you have to respect what he did in the championship for Blackburn so would be silly to get rid if relegated as he can score goals down there. I'm not a fan of Sinclair either but he did fine there for Swansea so there's two reasonable strikers there already.

Difficult to say who of the international lot would stay. I would say someone who's been injured a lot like Okore would actually stay and probably Amavi aswell at least until January as clubs will want to see him playing again first before spending big money on a player who's had a serious injury.

So with Hutton there's a back 4 there.

To me the midfield would need to be really sorted out, I wouldn't fancy what we put out to even do anything in the championship.

Just watched the Hull highlights, was surprised how many of their big wage players are still there.

Diame and Snodgrass although in fairness both were injured for a lot of last season so similar to Amavi and also Abel Hernandez who didn't really do it for them in the prem but is scoring a good amount in the championship.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2015, 07:41:14 AM »
To me the midfield would need to be really sorted out, I wouldn't fancy what we put out to even do anything in the championship.

You don't reckon that two or three of Gana, Veretout and Sanchez wouldn't be able to cope with Charlton or Brentford?

The midfield is literally the least of our issues.

Offline Ormy Droid

• Oh I do like to be beside the seaside
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »

You don't reckon that two or three of Gana, Veretout and Sanchez wouldn't be able to cope with Charlton or Brentford?

The midfield is literally the least of our issues.

I wouldn't underestimate Brentford, they're an excellent football team with some standout performers who would play us off the park the way we're going. Charlton are rubbish though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal