collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jonah Lomu - dead at 40  (Read 4518 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Jonah Lomu - dead at 40
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:29:25 AM »
One of the most feared rugby union players in history, Jonah Lomu shockingly has passed away at 40. Incredible player, and I can still see Catt reduced to rubble as Lomu scored that try in 1995. Far too young.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Jonah Lomu - dead at 40
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 07:46:07 AM »
This has been talked about a little in the rugby world cup thread as per that thread, it's a huge shame, he is one of the most significant sportsmen in my lifetime, he really did change the game.  All that said the one very small comfort is that he died of a long standing condition that was diagnosed in his early 20s, when the transplant was rejected in 2011 everyone must've been preparing for the worst so unlike most people who die at the age at least it's not a huge shock.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »
Terribly sad.

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »
Allow me to re-tell my one and only story about Jonah Lomu. At the time of the 1995 Rugby World Cup, I was doing business with a guy who was best friends with and been best man for Ben Clarke, the England number 8 for that competition. When I asked him how Ben Clarke had described trying to tackle Jonah Lomu, he replied that it was "Like someone closing the curtains and switching the lights off simultaneously".

Also, for those who remember, Tony Underwood was the England winger that had the dubious pleasure of playing opposite Jonah in the game v the All Blacks and got well and truly mullered in the process. Well fast forward to about 3 years ago and Rory Underwood, Tony's brother, was guest speaker at our rugby club men's dinner and after a suitable amount of alcohol I asked him whether he would agree that his brother was never the same player again - He was not amused and as they say 'made his excuses' and left me. No idea why to this day !

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 02:57:13 PM »
Allow me to re-tell my one and only story about Jonah Lomu. At the time of the 1995 Rugby World Cup, I was doing business with a guy who was best friends with and been best man for Ben Clarke, the England number 8 for that competition. When I asked him how Ben Clarke had described trying to tackle Jonah Lomu, he replied that it was "Like someone closing the curtains and switching the lights off simultaneously".

Also, for those who remember, Tony Underwood was the England winger that had the dubious pleasure of playing opposite Jonah in the game v the All Blacks and got well and truly mullered in the process. Well fast forward to about 3 years ago and Rory Underwood, Tony's brother, was guest speaker at our rugby club men's dinner and after a suitable amount of alcohol I asked him whether he would agree that his brother was never the same player again - He was not amused and as they say 'made his excuses' and left me. No idea why to this day !

The latter doesn't surprise me, the arrival of Lomu changed how the world saw wingers, it went from being the 'safe' position where you could put the little guys who didn't like the rough stuff to being a role where defensively you had to be willing to try to stop a truck.  Even among the smaller wingers it is now very rare to see a 'slight' winger, Johnny May maybe but he's so f'ing quick he gets away with it, Wade and Nowell show you what a modern winger 'looks' like in terms of physique.  The Underwoods, for all their ability to score tries, were at the back end of what was genuinely a 10 man game with 5 extras, they'd get nowhere near a professional club now and I doubt either of them are happy that one of the most defining moments ever in the sport is the repeated image of Lomu running through Tony like he was made of paper.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »
It is amazing how big the players are when you get up close. I am no short arse but May must be cracking 6 foot 3 as he was taller than me.

I have a photo somewhere of me and Lesley Vainikolo. I look like a toddler in comparison.

Offline r1hvy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 11:10:31 PM »
Lomu was big and strong but he was so pacy too! Being hit by him at full force must have been like being hit by a bus!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal