collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Annual Pork Pie Awards  (Read 8333 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Annual Pork Pie Awards
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
My personal favourite

"When things aren't going well, fans bay for that type of blood," Fox said.

"That's not the way that I or the owner are going to make a decision. It's a false narrative."

So wrong that from that second onwards I've felt he doesn't have a feel for the game or know fuck all about it. A money man, pure and simple.

Or the traditional vote of confidence issued two weeks before the unfortunate/incompetent manager gets the bullet, just using a different turn of phrase to that which we're used to.

Then it was a very stupid comment to make, criticising the fans, when they've had another run of getting fucked by everyone for months on end.

Is it criticising the fans?
To me it's a recognition that the fans are emotionally tied into this in a way he and the rest of the board aren't and never will be (nor should they be from the point of view running things rationally.)

Isn't it true that when things turn to shit, it tends to be the manager in the firing line, regardless of club?

Yes it is criticising the fans to me. Like for some unknown reason they are able to see things from a more intelligent perspective, that's what the ''baying for blood'' comment sounds like to me, like we are a mob who want appeasing. It was and is complete bollocks, we watched it week by week and understood the situation a lot more than Fox did or does, he was slow to react until a point where the position was completely untenable.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »
My personal favourite

"When things aren't going well, fans bay for that type of blood," Fox said.

"That's not the way that I or the owner are going to make a decision. It's a false narrative."

So wrong that from that second onwards I've felt he doesn't have a feel for the game or know fuck all about it. A money man, pure and simple.

Or the traditional vote of confidence issued two weeks before the unfortunate/incompetent manager gets the bullet, just using a different turn of phrase to that which we're used to.

Then it was a very stupid comment to make, criticising the fans, when they've had another run of getting fucked by everyone for months on end.

Is it criticising the fans?
To me it's a recognition that the fans are emotionally tied into this in a way he and the rest of the board aren't and never will be (nor should they be from the point of view running things rationally.)

Isn't it true that when things turn to shit, it tends to be the manager in the firing line, regardless of club?

Yes it is criticising the fans to me. Like for some unknown reason they are able to see things from a more intelligent perspective, that's what the ''baying for blood'' comment sounds like to me, like we are a mob who want appeasing. It was and is complete bollocks, we watched it week by week and understood the situation a lot more than Fox did or does, he was slow to react until a point where the position was completely untenable.

I would have said dispassionate rather than intelligent, which is what I actually want from him (to be dispassionate.)

I completely agree it went on too long, I'd have had Lambert out of the door as soon as they'd got back from the Spurs game. (Wonder if that had anything to do with the sudden parting of the ways between Faulkner and Randy?)

The flip side could be to say that it took something to stand up to his new boss and say that the new contract had been a bad idea and Lambert had got to go.

How would the last 18 months have panned out if we'd had as close to free reign as we're ever likely to get to look for a new manager in summer '14?

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »
I would have fired Lambert after the 8-0 at Chelsea. The ******.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 06:39:57 PM »
I would have fired Lambert after the 8-0 at Chelsea. The c***.

So you'd have fired him less than halfway through his first season, for our the first defeat in 7 and we were also in a semi-final?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 06:46:17 PM »

I think by the end of January, losing to Wigan, Spurs, Chelsea, Bradford, Millwall, Southampton who were relegation strugglers and also Newcastle who I think were also relegation strugglers was enough. He should have gone then.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 06:56:35 PM »

'I'm not leaving. I'm staying at the football club and I can't wait for the start of the season and captaining this great football club.'

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 07:00:42 PM »

'I'm not leaving. I'm staying at the football club and I can't wait for the start of the season and captaining this great football club.'

The winner.

Offline Caribbeanvillan

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2015, 07:03:46 PM »
I have to install a winning mentality.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2015, 07:06:14 PM »
What's a Tim Sherwood team?

A winning one.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »

So you'd have fired him less than halfway through his first season, for our the first defeat in 7 and we were also in a semi-final?

The previous Saturday we'd played Liverpool off the park at Anfield.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2015, 07:20:05 PM »

I think by the end of January, losing to Wigan, Spurs, Chelsea, Bradford, Millwall, Southampton who were relegation strugglers and also Newcastle who I think were also relegation strugglers was enough. He should have gone then.

this, the bradford debarcle on its own should have been enough

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2015, 08:39:59 PM »

The winner.
Unless Doug ever claimed that he was going to respect the achievements of the 80-82 squads and build on them, then I doubt that there's ever been or ever will be a bigger steaming pile of bullshit delivered in association with this football club.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »
My silly topic has unexpectedly revealed a core of truth. We have been lied to systematically over a long period.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »

The winner.
Unless Doug ever claimed that he was going to respect the achievements of the 80-82 squads and build on them, then I doubt that there's ever been or ever will be a bigger steaming pile of bullshit delivered in association with this football club.

The fanfare about his new contract in January when the club knew that there was such a low buyout clause was a pretty serious betrayal of the fans' trust on the club's part too in my opinion.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »

The winner.
Yes, this one is unbeatable.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal