collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Remi Garde - Departs Aston Villa  (Read 848353 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Remi Garde - Departs Aston Villa
« Reply #7050 on: November 08, 2017, 08:16:33 PM »
Remi Garde is a decent bloke.  That is also straight from the horse's chops.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7051 on: November 08, 2017, 09:18:44 PM »
Our old mate Remi is about to resurface as coach of the Montreal Impact.

Thought he'd get another job in France.

Still MLS is improving at the time so do o.k there and he can come back to europe.

I was critical of him a bit but in reality he didn't have much chance. Joined a terrible squad that was already down and of course wasn't allowed to sign anyone in January at which point he gave up.

Edit: If we make that sort of left field appointment in the future it has to be made in the summer rather than mid season.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #7052 on: November 08, 2017, 09:26:11 PM »
Make no mistake about it Villa were in a pickle  before Garde, after Garde we looked like a Sunday  League Team.

The defeats at the likes of Everton were terrible, the home games in the league, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City in the cup were just shocking.  Sherwood would have got something out of the players maybe not enough but something.  Garde was shocking.  It will be written in the scripts that he had no chance - rubbish.   I am just happy we didn't have to play Small Heath under Garde they would have beaten us. 

For all the kindness shown to Garde, we reserve our annoyance at Eric Black. Now if ever there was someone who had no hope it was this fella. 

Offline brian green

« Reply #7053 on: November 08, 2017, 09:34:22 PM »
Agree WW.  My son met Garde at the Cannes TV festival.  Nothing but good to say about Villa.  No rancour. No bitterness.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7054 on: November 08, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
Sherwood used up all our winnable home games before he got sacked. 1 point from Sunderland, WBA, Stoke and Swansea which set the tone.

I honestly don't think we'd have stayed up if we'd got Big Sam at that point, the squad was that poor.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7055 on: November 08, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »
My thoughts on Garde are similar to the other views shared, but I feel that he was also a significant contributor to his own downfall. Of course he had a disaster to deal with but he didn't do himself any favours in some of the things he said or did. Anyway, I'll be wishing him the best of luck in Montreal, just not too much whenever they play TFC.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #7056 on: November 08, 2017, 09:43:43 PM »
Is he the only permanent manager we've had that has not been afforded the opportunity of bringing in at least one singing of his own?

Offline brian green

« Reply #7057 on: November 08, 2017, 10:24:51 PM »
Not only that but blocked by the CEO of one of our relegation opponents in her FA capacity.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #7058 on: November 08, 2017, 11:34:42 PM »
Not only that but blocked by the CEO of one of our relegation opponents in her FA capacity.

That was scandalous. In a way I do get not signing anyone because the situation was so much worse when January rolled around to the position when he took over. But if that was given the green light to be fucked over because the woman supported Sunderland was disgraceful.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #7059 on: November 08, 2017, 11:35:26 PM »
The stick that Black got, at least here, from what I remember, wasn't really for the bad results/not being able to get much out of the players in the same way Garde or Sherwood hadn't, but the fact that he came off as not giving a fuck, which could at least partially be inferred from the fact that kept trotting out the same nonsense even after our fate had largely been sealed.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #7060 on: November 08, 2017, 11:40:49 PM »
For all his experience Black was utterly fucking bollocks. Throw Kevin MacDonald into that pot too.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #7061 on: November 09, 2017, 07:52:22 AM »

That was scandalous. In a way I do get not signing anyone because the situation was so much worse when January rolled around to the position when he took over. But if that was given the green light to be fucked over because the woman supported Sunderland was disgraceful.

By all accounts he's been great for Gent to whom he moved after his move to us fell down.

Voted best goalkeeper in the Pro League on half a season's work.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #7062 on: November 09, 2017, 08:35:11 AM »
He was thrown in at the deep end and sank like a stone.  Wrong man at the wrong time, but might have stood a chance had he been appointed before the rot had well and truly set in.   
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:37:34 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline ironmaidenmania

« Reply #7063 on: November 09, 2017, 12:27:02 PM »
My thoughts on Garde are similar to the other views shared, but I feel that he was also a significant contributor to his own downfall. Of course he had a disaster to deal with but he didn't do himself any favours in some of the things he said or did. Anyway, I'll be wishing him the best of luck in Montreal, just not too much whenever they play TFC.

I agree. Toronto are my second team, even though I'm from Birmingham.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #7064 on: November 09, 2017, 05:19:57 PM »
He was thrown in at the deep end and sank like a stone.  Wrong man at the wrong time, but might have stood a chance had he been appointed before the rot had well and truly set in.   

He would have made more sense following Houllier.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal