collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pundits.  (Read 34972 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Re: Pundits.
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 04:57:56 PM »
Then I suppose it is my fault for listening to and watching the BBC who were once considered the envy of the world in broadcast terms.  And now, the more I hear or see of their football programmes the more they are turning into ITV style drivel and sickly banteresque type discussions.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 05:10:07 PM »
Carragher and Neville tell it like it is; Murphy does to an extent. The rest are backslapping dimwits and dullards. Embarrassing that when it comes to football Murdoch's SKY is so much better than the BEEB (It really isn't when it comes to nature documentaries, mind!).

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
I was listening to the final Wales Euro qualifier on 5 Live but found it difficult to concentrate on what was being said as a high pitched whine that I took for the usual poor AM reception was often interrupting the proceedings. After about half an hour I realised it was the colour commentary provided by Robbie Savage.

The King of the high-pitched whine is surely Steve Claridge. There are sabre-toothed dog carcasses buried deep in the permafrosts of darkest Siberia that prick up an ear whenever Claridge bemoans a poor throw in.
But he was bang on about Sherwood on Saturday. Say what many on here have been saying for months and saying he was out of his depth and didn't deserve more time.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2015, 05:17:59 PM »
I was listening to the final Wales Euro qualifier on 5 Live but found it difficult to concentrate on what was being said as a high pitched whine that I took for the usual poor AM reception was often interrupting the proceedings. After about half an hour I realised it was the colour commentary provided by Robbie Savage.

The King of the high-pitched whine is surely Steve Claridge. There are sabre-toothed dog carcasses buried deep in the permafrosts of darkest Siberia that prick up an ear whenever Claridge bemoans a poor throw in.
But he was bang on about Sherwood on Saturday. Say what many on here have been saying for months and saying he was out of his depth and didn't deserve more time.

I heard that and for the first time I can remember found myself agreeing with Claridge.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2015, 05:22:56 PM »
Please link to Claridge. Tnx.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2015, 05:43:49 PM »
Just tried to find it on iPlayer. It was in the pre Bournemouth vs Spurs match chatter.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2015, 06:11:02 PM »
Le Saux and Lee Dixon do a decent job summarizing on the US EPL commentary.

In the studio with Rebecca Lowe is Robbie Mustoe and Robbie Earle and surprisingly, they're not too bad either.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 06:25:45 PM »
I'm ok with Neville, Dixon, Murphy and Kilbane. The rest I'd happily never listen to again- including Ian Wright, and his infuriating insistence on referring to Hoddle as 'Gaffer'

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 06:27:12 PM »
Kilbane is vanilla. Never says anything that insightful or interesting. Nice fella but I wish he thought a bit more like Jim Carrey as well as looking a bit like him.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2015, 06:36:07 PM »
Neville, Kilbane and Carragher(sometimes) other some insight. The rest are utter morons who spout tired cliches and genuinely don't seem to have an awareness of the game they played.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »
Carragher's thick accent is draining but he comes across as a guy who has at least done his homework. Gary Neville is good, and I don't mind Charlie Nicholas and Steve McManaman.

As for the the worst, Tony Cascarino and the annoying Robbie Savage take some beating but, and I know it's sacrilege to say it but Paul Merson is the winner. He's the thick mate of your group of mates you drink with in the pub. A nice bloke, but thicker than the thickest of thick pig shit.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2015, 06:55:46 PM »
I'm ok with Neville, Dixon, Murphy and Kilbane. The rest I'd happily never listen to again- including Ian Wright, and his infuriating insistence on referring to Hoddle as 'Gaffer'

Whenever Wrighty's (Y.E.) mug appears, I hit the mute button.  Too much work filling in all the missed consonants and deciphering the glottal stops. Referring to Theo Walcott as Lee Oooh Fee Oh was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Contrary to most posters judging from past debates, I quite like Beelzebub as a co-commentator. Souness is decent in the studio.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »
Graeme Souness, who told everyone that we'd spent £50m on players without mentioning the small detail of seeing our 2 best disappear out the door.

The more I hear these guys talk about us, the smaller we seem to become. We're not held in very high regard it seems.

To be fair on Souness he at least was calling Sherwood to account. Regardless of who left we did spend £50 million and should be doing way better than we are.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2015, 07:19:46 PM »
Most of the pundits mentioned are there for entertainment value not necessarily for insightful analysis - Merson and Wright are two that spring to mind. Both come out with some serious comedy value, Wright reminding Shearer of him kicking Neil Lennon's head around Filbert Street like a bowling ball a few weeks ago was hilarious.

John Giles was excellent in his day, particularly as a co-commentator but also as a studio analyst. This was in the day of the magic pen and "hold it there". Picking out which players to blame for a goal going in wasnt always obvious but Giles was excellent at doing it. Gone too old for it now I'm afraid on Irish TV these days. Liam Brady can be a decent pundit but can be entertaining to watch with his obvious biases (pro Arsenal/Wenger/Trappatoni, anti Roy Keane/Man United). Those two with Dunphy can make entertaining TV but I know Id prefer to watch the detailed analysis from the likes of Neville or Carragher.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2015, 07:38:03 PM »
It's been a couple of years since Matthew Syed handed Tony Cascarino's arse to him over Chelsea and Ambramovich on Sky Sports, but Cascarino himself still gets gigs. I heard him on the radio this morning spouting the same old cliched bollocks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal