collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pundits.  (Read 35032 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Pundits.
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:59:07 PM »
Is it me or are these getting worse?

There was a time whereby you had at least a modicum of respect for the likes of Hansen, Shearer etc (Lawro excluded), but the ones that are really irritating me are the Johnny Come Lately recently retired footballers that have this 'you have never played the game so you couldn't possibly understand' approach to their comments.

I think this has been magnified by the fawning and pity handed out to our now departed Manager.  The people that irritated me the most are;

Jermaine Jenas - injury prone, average to shit midfielder who is unable to articulate himself well during his ever increasing appearances on TV.  Describes the sacking as ludicrous and I bet he hasn't got one tenth of the facts of what has happened available to him should he be pressed.

Mark Fcukin Chapman - need I say anymore.

Trevor Sinclair - decent when he could be arsed footballer, again calls it a disgrace and hopes we go down - how is that for decisive, authoritative commentary.

Dwight Fcukin Yorke - absolutely hopelessly out of his depth doing it in the first place then slams the club that made him the star he is as many times as he can cram in during a broadcast.

Even Danny Murphy who I actually can stand came out with some rubbish about referees not having to send players off with only seconds left in the game, despite the fact that the rules are players can be sent off until they are down the tunnel even after the whistle has gone.

Jason Roberts.  Fcukin useless and of no consequence but sticks his oar in.

Anyone else?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Pundits.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 03:10:58 PM »
Michael Owen.  Everything he says either is set up by or will lead to a reference to his own playing career. I binned a BT Sport contract I am still paying for rather than suffer the pompous little prick.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »
Is it me or are these getting worse?

There was a time whereby you had at least a modicum of respect for the likes of Hansen, Shearer etc (Lawro excluded), but the ones that are really irritating me are the Johnny Come Lately recently retired footballers that have this 'you have never played the game so you couldn't possibly understand' approach to their comments.

I think this has been magnified by the fawning and pity handed out to our now departed Manager.  The people that irritated me the most are;

Jermaine Jenas - injury prone, average to shit midfielder who is unable to articulate himself well during his ever increasing appearances on TV.  Describes the sacking as ludicrous and I bet he hasn't got one tenth of the facts of what has happened available to him should he be pressed.

Mark Fcukin Chapman - need I say anymore.

Trevor Sinclair - decent when he could be arsed footballer, again calls it a disgrace and hopes we go down - how is that for decisive, authoritative commentary.

Dwight Fcukin Yorke - absolutely hopelessly out of his depth doing it in the first place then slams the club that made him the star he is as many times as he can cram in during a broadcast.

Even Danny Murphy who I actually can stand came out with some rubbish about referees not having to send players off with only seconds left in the game, despite the fact that the rules are players can be sent off until they are down the tunnel even after the whistle has gone.

Jason Roberts.  Fcukin useless and of no consequence but sticks his oar in.

Anyone else?

Pretty much anyone of the former players that can be heard on radio or seen on TV with a microphone under their nose.

As a breed they're useless twonks who're ignorant of what's actually going on either because either
a) they're too bleeding thick to realise what's going on.
b) they've got their heads so far up there mate's / former colleague's arse that they can't see what's going on.
c) a combination of the two.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »
Jenas is the one who gets me. Fair play to the bloke for somehow managing to get a job after such a disastrous playing "career" but really he should stop trying to speak from a position of authority, he did nothing in football. At least the likes of Lineker, Shearer, Murphy hell even Yorke actually have genuinely impressive playing careers behind them. Jenas did nothing.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 03:33:38 PM »
In the main they are all pretty dire but I am growing to like Gary Neville, which is surprising because I always loathed him as a player.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 03:41:23 PM »
I've had enough of savage and his court jester style contrived idiocy.

How come Hartson doesn't know it's not 'pellanty' after so many years in the game? Although, to be fair, he's one of he more bearable ones.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »
I was listening to the final Wales Euro qualifier on 5 Live but found it difficult to concentrate on what was being said as a high pitched whine that I took for the usual poor AM reception was often interrupting the proceedings. After about half an hour I realised it was the colour commentary provided by Robbie Savage.

Offline Musicmaan

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 03:46:21 PM »
There are just so many more opportunities for punditry these days than there used to be. Arguably, too many.  So many different broadcasters games and a selection of programmes even on the BBC offer these ex pros employment  / an outlet for their 'knowledge' 

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »
I see Rio Ferdinand is calling for his mate Dwight to be the new Villa manager. Reckons that Yorke might have a "Slaven Bilic" effect on us.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 03:49:10 PM »
Gary Neville and to a far lesser extent Danny Murphy do a good job. Both give the impression at least of having done a lot of research rather than coming out with the usual clichés.

The reason we have so many journalists of TV as pundits these days is a direct result of how utterly shit so many ex pros are.

Also Danny Higginbottom is top class and should be used more on TV and radio.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »
I see Rio Ferdinand is calling for his mate Dwight to be the new Villa manager. Reckons that Yorke might have a "Slaven Bilic" effect on us.

And There is Your Winner

When Rio speaks he looks like a cross between Skelator and a Horse about to be put out of his misery. And sounds less intelligible than both.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 04:00:16 PM »
I quite like Kevin Kilbane and don't mind Danny Murphy too much

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 04:02:58 PM »
Graeme Souness, who told everyone that we'd spent £50m on players without mentioning the small detail of seeing our 2 best disappear out the door.

The more I hear these guys talk about us, the smaller we seem to become. We're not held in very high regard it seems.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 04:05:19 PM »
I like Neville which I never thought i'd say, Carragher on the other hand gets on my tits

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
Neville and Danny Murphy are largely good. Kilbane is ok. I also like Dixon.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal