collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Moyes?  (Read 47719 times)

Offline curlytailavfc

• www.friendsofakitas.co.uk
  • GM : 26.02.2019
Re: Moyes?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 09:03:14 AM »
I think who really would want the villa job anyway we have become run of the mill over the years

Offline Yossarian

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 09:06:52 AM »
If people are expecting better than moyes in our current state they must be crazy. If we can get him it'd be amazing. 

This for me too!  We're on the ropes here.......

Indeed. Moyes would see us safe. That would be some achievement the way Sherbert has us playing.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
I would agree to the proposition that we should pay top dollar and more for a genuine top draw manager, the problem with that is that they would want a war chest in the tens of millions come January something that our owner would not countenance. They have a reputation to keep and to take on a struggling club with a recent history of failures and little money to spend, dream on.

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »
We should not live in dream land ....NO big name manager would even consider Aston Villa these days so lets het in the real world

Sherwood will either be gone this week or after we fail to beat Swansea so the new man will have 28 games

The choice is simple ...you have to go for an out of work manager with premiership experience ....I am not sure Rodgers would even consider Villa

The other option is tempt someone from over seas with Premier experience ....Moyes

We have to remember where we currently are, many don't wish to come to our city and we are a club up for sale

Sherwood need to go and NOW but its not that easy bringing in someone who will appeal to us because they are either not available or won't come

What we can't do is bring in untried managers who have not been in the Premier before - if we do we have some new grounds to visit next season

And finally we need to shut the Birmingham Mail up - they are already asking will we swap places with that other small time club - NO because they won't come up

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 09:25:42 AM »
I've been saying for a while Moyes would  be a great aappointment in terms of stabilising us but I've just had a look at Sociedad's start and it's not much better than ours and they haven't played any of the really big clubs yet. Perhaps he's lost it.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 09:28:18 AM »
True, but I'd still trust Moyes to get it right here in the long run. Whether he would turn it around quick enough to save us this season, I'm not 100% sure.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »
True, but I'd still trust Moyes to get it right here in the long run. Whether he would turn it around quick enough to save us this season, I'm not 100% sure.

I think he would be more inclined to stay with us if relegated than some of the higher profile managers that I dream we could recruit.

Offline myf

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »
I want us to become hard to beat again, miserly at the back and to make VP a place sides don't want to come.

I don't care about free flowing football in terms of where we are now. To turn our situation is going to need hard work and organisation - the frills will have to wait for a couple of years.

Moyes fits the bill for me if we can get him.

this. Dont care if we are dour as long as we are hard to beat. I always liked watching everton under him they were an aggressive team which we aint been for donkeys years

Offline myf

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2015, 09:42:58 AM »
Did not think too much of him at Everton as he was another dour "result grinding" manager. United showed him up and now he is struggling at the foot of the Spanish league. I would Imagine he has technically gifted players at sociadad so his coaching ability and management has left them floundering. Not for me

Me either, I dont think he is a safe option at all.

I would hope the club has finally learnt their lesson and will set their sights a bit higher this time.

Still if he came obviously I would get behind him, he is nowhere near my first choice though.

If you think we're going to get anyone better than moyes in our predicament you're dreaming

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2015, 09:43:12 AM »
Moyes may well fit the bill for us but do we fit the bill for Moyes?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2015, 09:43:26 AM »
I think who really would want the villa job anyway we have become run of the mill over the years

Southampton attracted Pocchetino, a club who were a few years before bankrupt and in the 3rd division.
Watford poached a well thought of coach from the Spanish league, they're a complete nothing club who were in the 2nd division.

We've had a bad 4 years, but let's not have a collective memory like a sieve, things can all change in 12 months. The manager are out there, they will come, we need to sell the club to them and have some ambition.

Offline myf

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 09:49:25 AM »
Better than Sherwood, obviously, but what worries me is that the players look depressed and in need of a lift and a spark - and Moyes is in no way the type of manager to provide that.

what's your evidence for that? Everton were always highly motivated

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2015, 09:52:46 AM »
Someone previously used the great word 'industrial' to describe Moyes' way of playing and I fully agree.
I don't think we have the players in our squad suited to an 'industrial' approach.
We haven't got a team of hardened grafters, who can grind out 0-0 draws and narrow home wins.
That type of performance is exactly what was need yesterday, but the players just can't do that.

I think we need someone who recognises that we have a squad of (mainly) capable footballers and a flexible, modern approach to the game could and should get the right results.

Above all, we need someone with experience, not someone learning the ropes.
And yes I know, Moyes is the one who offers that....sigh.

Offline myf

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2015, 09:54:59 AM »

I think he would be more inclined to stay with us if relegated than some of the higher profile managers that I dream we could recruit.

...and he has lower league experience

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2015, 09:57:21 AM »

Southampton attracted Pochettino, a club who were a few years before bankrupt and in the 3rd division.
Watford poached a well thought of coach from the Spanish league, they're a complete nothing club who were in the 2nd division.

We've had a bad 4 years, but let's not have a collective memory like a sieve, things can all change in 12 months. The manager are out there, they will come, we need to sell the club to them and have some ambition.

I somehow don't think Pochettino was really in a position to have to be "attracted" - before Southampton, he'd just left a club at the bottom of La Liga. Likewise, with Flores, looking at his Wiki, he'd spent a month at Getafe before quitting, but before that had been spending his time in the footballing backwater that is the UAE, with his last decent gig several years ago. The opportunity to manage a PL team sounds like a pretty decent upgrade to me off that.

Even so, I think you're alluding to something quite relevant here - most managers out there without a job (bar someone like Ancelotti), especially the continental ones, I think would find it hard-pressed to get a better opportunity than a PL club (for now, and going forward if they're good enough to make that happen), especially with the salary on offer. The same probably won't apply to managers currently in a job, of course, but money and a good sell job would help.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal