collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our Players abroad this coming week...why?  (Read 6406 times)

Offline godzvilla

Our Players abroad this coming week...why?
« on: October 11, 2015, 02:29:14 PM »
A tad late in the day, admittedly, but I just realised that some of our first teamers  are involved in International matches next week ( see fixtures below ) , only 4 days before we are due to face Chelski, is it just me , or does this not beggar belief ?!.
Ayew & Guzan are involved in ´Prestige Friendlies´ probably under the guise of some spurious Corporate Trophy or other, while Sanchez is down in S.America , playing in a World Cup qualifier.
All are playing on the other side of the world and clearly won´t be travelling back to join training until Thursday, Guzan may even be playing on Wednesday night in New York.
Closer to home, Gana is playing in a friendly in Algeria and Amavi in France for the U.21s
The possibility of injuries, notwithstanding,  Ayew, Guzan & Sanchez, specifically   will be jet-lagged and under prepared for this crucial game , surely questions should be asked as the whether or not  the Club were aware of this ridiculous  ( beyond measure ! ) International fixture calamity, especially when bedding in our ´newbies´is of paramount importance.
It seems incomprehensible ( to me ) that players are  required for long distance games , only days prior to Club games ?!,  am I wrong , is this something relatively new?.
At least we know why N´Zogbia  is now being considered for Saturday ( allegedly!).
Godzvilla!

INTERNATIONAL FIXTURES

TUESDAY

Jordan Ayew - Canada v Ghana - RFK Stadium.

Carlos Sanchez - Uruguay v Colombia - Estadio Centenario Montevideo

Idrissa Gana - Algeria v Senegal

Brad Guzan - USA v Costa Rica - Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey.

Jordan Amavi - France U21 v Ukraine U21

WEDNESDAY

Brad Guzan - USA v Brazil - Boston - Gillette Stadium, Foxborough

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Our Players abroad this coming week...why?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 02:34:33 PM »
And how about all of the players from the other clubs. Chelsea will have loads away. Not sure what point you're making. Are you suggesting Villa should have withdrawn them from these games? And if they were allowed to wouldn't our competitors do or want to do the same?

Online spangley1812

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 02:42:13 PM »
The club don't have a choice they have to release players as its a designated international weekend.......

Is Guzan playing twice in 24 hours? That would be impressive.........

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »
Is Guzan playing twice in 24 hours? That would be impressive
I would imagine that USA have more than one 'keeper

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 03:08:20 PM »
Unfortunately this is the way of the modern football world ! Actual qualifiers etc I have no complaints about its the surfeit of pointless international friendlies I don't agree with.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 03:23:14 PM »
International football is a pain in the arse, and shit.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 03:42:03 PM »
It was worse a few years back....the Internationals used to be on a Wednesday night, indeed the South American ones used to be on Thursday morning.

I was talking to Guzan when he was driving out of training one Friday afternoon and he stopped to sign autographs. On the Thursday morning he'd been involved in a US game in Honduras or something so was surprised to see him there and he told me the different flight connections he had to do to get back here.

Probably one of the unheralded things footballers do, playing a draining qualifier, then having a 12 hour flight with a couple of connections and then back to training and then playing on the following weeked, I', done after a 4-5 hour flight.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
I'm a bit baffled as to how Godzvila has only just realised this happens. The club don't really have choice. They could maybe pull one out possibly, but not all of them.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 04:34:32 PM »
I'm a bit baffled as to how Godzvila has only just realised this happens. The club don't really have choice. They could maybe pull one out possibly, but not all of them.
If we pulled anyone out who had been called up,  then that player can be suspended by FIFA for our next three matches.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 04:43:59 PM »
If we pulled anyone out who had been called up,  then that player can be suspended by FIFA for our next three matches.

No I meant, if anyone was carrying a slight knock we could maybe get away with it. I'm not sure if it's been done for qualifiers but for the friendlies it probably has.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 08:25:39 PM »

Doesn't happen in practise though, see Sturridge.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »
SirAlex constantly flouted the rules using "injuries" as an excuse .

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »

No I meant, if anyone was carrying a slight knock we could maybe get away with it. I'm not sure if it's been done for qualifiers but for the friendlies it probably has.

We are able to make anybody we feel shouldn't be playing unavailable for selection. If those FAs feel that that's not justified then they have the right to check the player's fitness with their own medical staff - who ultimately have final say as to whether they are fit enough of not. If they say he's alright, he goes.

Like you say, if it's a vital qualifier then it's more likely that one side or the other will kick off than if it's a friendly.

Doesn't happen in practise though, see Sturridge.

Hasn't Sturridge been *actually* injured for about the last 18 months?

And I've seen nothing to suggest anything other than the fact that he just wasn't selected for this squad rather than Hodgson wanting to call him up and Liverpool kicking up a fuss.

Offline IAmTheOneIanOlney

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 09:35:23 PM »
Haven't Matic and Ivanovic been injured on international duty? Sod's law, they've both been pants this year.

Edit: this season, even.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:37:08 PM by IAmTheOneIanOlney »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 08:50:16 AM »

Probably one of the unheralded things footballers do, playing a draining qualifier, then having a 12 hour flight with a couple of connections and then back to training and then playing on the following weeked, I', done after a 4-5 hour flight.

Trust me, there are worse places to be sat for 22 hours than BA Business Class.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal