collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Villa being shite at home  (Read 11099 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: The Villa being shite at home
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 10:07:06 PM »
Even odder seeing as we were very average under GT when he first took over but amazing away.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 10:08:54 PM »
There surely can't be many teams in all 4 leagues that are as shit as we are, and have been, over the past few years at home?

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 10:13:56 PM »
Were too nice and accommadating, erect a big fuck off fence at the Holte End, employ some weird Eastern Europeans to climb it during the match with mega phones shouting out random instructions/chants too which the Holte will respond too, get rid of the 'Shaw prepared to venture down the left....' banner on the North stand and get a 'Welcome to Hell' one instead.
Those lions on the screen before kick off? Fuck those off and get real ones.... Bella and Hercules? they're gone too, replace them with the Texas chain saw massacre bloke and Freddy Kruegar.
The away fans area should be caged off with some of our more excentric fans climbing all over it during the game, flares are a must!

If all that fails then just employ Fat Sam.

One of the funniest posts I have read, thankyou Luke for making me chuckle.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »
Away teams and fans enjoy the comfort of Villa Park. We need to build a new away section. Something like this.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 10:38:22 PM »
I hoped that Sherwood would turn things around with home form after the turnaround v Leicester in the cup.

There were a few wins...but he had several easyish games at the end of last season to improve this yet got one point from Stoke, Swansea, QPR and Burnley.

You are right though - even under MON we were better away.  Was it 76/77 where we had an amazing home record?  It was before my time but I remember being amazed that we could have such stats!

We lost one home game that season, to non-league opposition. It's been said before, but Fortress Villa Park has never existed.

That was an awful defeat after going a goal ahead, but you are sadly premature in the non-league comment. Unless you know something we don't ....

We had a good home record under Saunders, and other than that, nothing great in most of my time

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 10:43:09 PM »
Haven’t got the inclination to do all of our 116 league tables but here is the recent past league tables of home records only.
If we relied on our home form we would have been relegated in 94/95.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2015, 10:48:55 PM »
I can distinctly remember us having a home record of 17-2-2 one season in the early 80s.  Haven't checked, and anyone who does may well find my memory sadly deficient!

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2015, 10:51:38 PM »
I can distinctly remember us having a home record of 17-2-2 one season in the early 80s.  Haven't checked, and anyone who does may well find my memory sadly deficient!

1982/83. Our away record was 4-3-14 which is why we were 'only' 6th. Sunderland (opening day) and Liverpool were the only teams to beat us at VP.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:53:52 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline Vegas

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »
Cheers PWS - so contrary to earlier comments there HAS been a fortress Villa Park - but it turned out to be a temporary fortress, made of ice, say.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 10:58:41 PM »
Cheers PWS - so contrary to earlier comments there HAS been a fortress Villa Park - but it turned out to be a temporary fortress, made of ice, say.

Shame we couldn't persuade Superman to live at VP for more than a year.

Offline A Northern Soul

• Xxx
  • GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 11:01:12 PM »
Isn't it time to take matters into our own hands. A 3/4 full Villa Park being served up constant dross is often tame, at times bordering on mutinous, but (off the top of my head) games like Bradford in Div 2 & Liverpool on the last day of the old Holte, were games where the team were driven over the line by the sheer noise of the crowd - despite how shit or nervous the team was. Recently Albion games last season and possibly more so the semi final at Wembley show what a difference having a partisan backing can have. Leicester & Palace are no great shakes and cannot match VP at full noise but they continually squeeze out results at home due to the will of their support. It's kind of get the team home despite the tool in charge and the lack of cohesion in front of our eyes, cos sadly that is unlikely to change quickly and we run the risk of becoming part of an ever decreasing circle of failure unless we take control together

Offline bob

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 11:07:39 PM »
Been shit at home since Little.

Offline Vegas

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 11:14:56 PM »
Isn't it time to take matters into our own hands. A 3/4 full Villa Park being served up constant dross is often tame, at times bordering on mutinous, but (off the top of my head) games like Bradford in Div 2 & Liverpool on the last day of the old Holte, were games where the team were driven over the line by the sheer noise of the crowd - despite how shit or nervous the team was. Recently Albion games last season and possibly more so the semi final at Wembley show what a difference having a partisan backing can have. Leicester & Palace are no great shakes and cannot match VP at full noise but they continually squeeze out results at home due to the will of their support. It's kind of get the team home despite the tool in charge and the lack of cohesion in front of our eyes, cos sadly that is unlikely to change quickly and we run the risk of becoming part of an ever decreasing circle of failure unless we take control together

I could have sworn the last game of the standing Holte was a 3-3 draw with norwich - I have clear memories of being on the Holte for that game and thinking "that was good, but it's over now".  But I've checked and it turns out (probably to no surprise to many of the regulars on here) that the Norwich game was a full five years earlier, and my sentiment was right, but for the wrong reason.  Bejesus.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 11:46:21 PM »
3-3 contained a/some mountfield own goals didn't it? Late 80s or very early 90's

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 11:47:22 PM »
Says it all when a mid table team like Stoke who don't win that many away games in a league season have now won three on the spin at VP and have only lost once here since promotion.

And as somebody posted elsewhere, Saturday was Stoke's first away win since February.

The last time that they came to Villa Park.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal