collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Villa being shite at home  (Read 11102 times)

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
The Villa being shite at home
« on: October 05, 2015, 02:38:59 PM »
How long has it been now?

The last time I recall being confident of 'regulation wins' was under DOL.

I'm sure it's been recounted plenty of times on here, but does anyone have our WDL stats per year for the past 10 years?

Offline Reuben

Re: The Villa being shite at home
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
I hoped that Sherwood would turn things around with home form after the turnaround v Leicester in the cup.

There were a few wins...but he had several easyish games at the end of last season to improve this yet got one point from Stoke, Swansea, QPR and Burnley.

You are right though - even under MON we were better away.  Was it 76/77 where we had an amazing home record?  It was before my time but I remember being amazed that we could have such stats!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »
I hoped that Sherwood would turn things around with home form after the turnaround v Leicester in the cup.

There were a few wins...but he had several easyish games at the end of last season to improve this yet got one point from Stoke, Swansea, QPR and Burnley.

You are right though - even under MON we were better away.  Was it 76/77 where we had an amazing home record?  It was before my time but I remember being amazed that we could have such stats!

We lost one home game that season, to non-league opposition. It's been said before, but Fortress Villa Park has never existed.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 03:17:39 PM »
Last time we finished in the top six in terms of home form was 1997. We haven't finished in the top sixteen since 2011.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:21:33 PM »
I love my mileage versus wins comparisons, so I had a look the other day.

Since the 2010/11 season we’ve won 27 out of 99 at home. We actually won eight home games that year.

You can factor O’Neill into it too, as we only won 8 home games in the league the year before, which is the reason why we failed to qualify for the Champions League.

Part of the reason under O’Neill was that we were too one dimensional in that we had to get it wide quick and in behind to square them up or hit them on the break. All but four or five sides and Bolton would come and park the bus, so we struggled to break them down.

Under the subsequent managers it’s been a real absence of quality in the midfield to either cover the back four or supply the front men. We bizarrely have some quality players in Grealish, Gil, Traore, Gana, Veretout and Sancherz to choose from now, but we lack cohesion and organisation.

Its always been a very easy place to come and play. Its a wonderful ground and its that grandeur that allows lesser teams to raise their game.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »

Suppose this belongs in "Memories" but yes  - what a season 1976-77 was - without thinking too hard, I remember we stuck 5 past Liverpool, Arsenal, Ipswich (all decent sides in the day) and Wrexham in the League Cup, stuck 4 past West Ham and the Albion and 3 past both Manchester clubs and QPR to mention just a few - I think we beat Man City 3-0 in an early round of our way to winning the League Cup.

We had an outstanding home record that season, and at one point were in contention for everything - having said that for a team that only 3 years earlier had finished below half way in the Second Division, we were well happy with finishing 4th, reaching the FA Cup 1/4 Final and of course winning the League Cup.  What a shame that team didn't quite reach the heights the following season.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 03:31:26 PM »

Since the 2010/11 season we’ve won 27 out of 99 at home. We actually won eight home games that year.

You can factor O’Neill into it too, as we only won 8 home games in the league the year before, which is the reason why we failed to qualify for the Champions League.

Part of the reason under O’Neill was that we were too one dimensional in that we had to get it wide quick and in behind to square them up or hit them on the break. All but four or five sides and Bolton would come and park the bus, so we struggled to break them down.

Under the subsequent managers it’s been a real absence of quality in the midfield to either cover the back four or supply the front men. We bizarrely have some quality players in Grealish, Gil, Traore, Gana, Veretout and Sancherz to choose from now, but we lack cohesion and organisation.

Its always been a very easy place to come and play. Its a wonderful ground and its that grandeur that allows lesser teams to raise their game.
Dreadful reading .

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »

I think we scored 6 against Ipswich at home? and beat Derby 4-0. The only crazy stat is that we lost home and away to SHA!!

Suppose this belongs in "Memories" but yes  - what a season 1976-77 was - without thinking too hard, I remember we stuck 5 past Liverpool, Arsenal, Ipswich (all decent sides in the day) and Wrexham in the League Cup, stuck 4 past West Ham and the Albion and 3 past both Manchester clubs and QPR to mention just a few - I think we beat Man City 3-0 in an early round of our way to winning the League Cup.

We had an outstanding home record that season, and at one point were in contention for everything - having said that for a team that only 3 years earlier had finished below half way in the Second Division, we were well happy with finishing 4th, reaching the FA Cup 1/4 Final and of course winning the League Cup.  What a shame that team didn't quite reach the heights the following season.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 03:36:36 PM »
What grips my shit is the sly insinuation that losing at home is the fans fault as we have too much expectation. Man the fuck up players and Sherwood and go for the jugular. I'd rather lose by being swashbuckling than lose by playing the way we did against Albion or Stoke.  I appreciate that we lack some organization but let's at least play our more creative players at home at the very least eh?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »

Dreadful reading .

Sorry, that should have read 09/10 season under O'Neill. Its been 99 games since then, which for me is 17,028 miles at a rate of 631 miles per win.

I love mil miles v wins v cost comparisons.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 03:51:16 PM »
I think I read recently that we'd taken 71 points out of the last 225 on offer at home.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 04:09:01 PM »
Were too nice and accommadating, erect a big fuck off fence at the Holte End, employ some weird Eastern Europeans to climb it during the match with mega phones shouting out random instructions/chants too which the Holte will respond too, get rid of the 'Shaw prepared to venture down the left....' banner on the North stand and get a 'Welcome to Hell' one instead.
Those lions on the screen before kick off? Fuck those off and get real ones.... Bella and Hercules? they're gone too, replace them with the Texas chain saw massacre bloke and Freddy Kruegar.
The away fans area should be caged off with some of our more excentric fans climbing all over it during the game, flares are a must!

If all that fails then just employ Fat Sam.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 04:25:10 PM »
I reckon only Sunderland can rival us for such a poor record this decade. Interestingly while they've received regular pummelings and mass walk-outs from the home support, we've rarely been heavily beaten at VP. It's as if opponents respect us to the extent that it's a great ground and that any win at all there is a really good result.

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 05:07:15 PM »
The home stats under Tony Barton were absolutely fantastic. Oh for a third of that

Offline peter w

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »
How long has it been now?

The last time I recall being confident of 'regulation wins' was under DOL.

I'm sure it's been recounted plenty of times on here, but does anyone have our WDL stats per year for the past 10 years?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal