collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Stoke City post match thread  (Read 35567 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Aston Villa v Stoke City post match thread
« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »
You know what I mean ya git!

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2015, 02:52:52 PM »
One thing was so stupid it merits special attention. His only plan of attack was crosses into the box to Gestede's head, and yet he wanted to achieve it with only full-backs in wide positions. I mean, what the fuck was he thinking? Firstly, Hutton and Amavi would obviously get doubled-up on, pinning them back; secondly, his plan of attack was full-backs! On their own! No support in defence or attack! What the hell was he thinking? Trying that combination of formation and strategy should get him automatically disqualified from football management, and possibly sectioned.

Offline Boz

« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2015, 03:22:01 PM »
I don't know the stats, but I'd imagine the Villa have the lowest number of shots on and off target in the Premiership, so it's not surprising we can't win a game. Our best stat at present is only losing games by a single goal, although I suspect that might change at the next match. Playing Villa will probably see Chelsea hit form and score a lot.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »
Sinclair was our major goal threat and Tim has destroyed him and his confidence. I still think that Tim prefers to back 'his' signings hence the likes of Gil being a 2nd/3rd choice. There is a decent team in there with some talented players but this manager won't see it.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2015, 04:15:38 PM »
I was disappointed with the crowd getting on Westwood's back. Not that he was great but he made the Richards chance and was better than the two clowns playing next to him.

Really? I thought Gana and Veretout did OK yesterday. 

I like gana but he gave the ball away in dangerous areas yesrerday a couple of times. But i think he will be a good player under a different manager.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2015, 04:27:07 PM »
i thought veretout did ok, at least he looked interested and wanted to get forward.

gestede is out of his depth and for such a big bloke has zero physical presence

jack is all fart and no shit, he needs to be much more direct and use his pace

gana im not sure about, reminded me of el ahmadi

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #291 on: October 04, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »
It's a strange one about Gestede, I think he is a bit out of his depth, but when he played against Liverpool last year in the cup, he was a big physical threat and really got amongst their centre backs. Not sure if he is 100% fit or not. 

Offline Big Mac

« Reply #292 on: October 04, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
When Sherwood first joined I thought he would be the man to take us out of this mess and bring some good football to Villa Park but he seems to be really struggling and I think we might have to start looking for better options. This might be harsh and I know I would of told someone off if they said this to me a fortnight ago but just look at the game yesterday. 
I think the game yesterday was easily there to be won as was shown in the last 15 minutes when all our substitutes were made but that was never going to happen from the moment the team sheet was announced, which just feels like were back to the end of Lambert's rein. I think Sherwood made a lot of mistakes starting with going down the hard to beat route. I think a manager needs to break down there role into a few elements to ensure wins which I think are:
Team selection
Substitutions
Style of play
Protecting players
The team selection was obviously wrong as everyone on here could see.
The substitutions were good but shouldn't of needed to take place to start with.
There was no sign of a style of play.
Finally I don't think Sherwood protects the players as can be seen with Adama Traore with the way his ankle was taken out of a protective boot then thrown into the Liverpool match in the same week everyone who has played football knows ankle injuries are nasty and need to be treated slowly with care. I'm also worried about Okore I think he returned to training last week then was thrown into a U21's match for 90 minutes after around 3 months out from overplaying returning from a cruciate knee ligament injury so why risk making that mistake again. Lets just hope we attack Chelsea as they have a dodgy back four and get them playing like we did yesterday, knowing Villa as I do we will sit back and get hammered.

Offline Marton

• GM : 17.10.2016
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »
It's a strange one about Gestede, I think he is a bit out of his depth, but when he played against Liverpool last year in the cup, he was a big physical threat and really got amongst their centre backs. Not sure if he is 100% fit or not.

He will be fine given time. Problem is that right now as we not using any other means of attack, Villa is predictable. Too make matters worse we cant cross. We cant fucking cross a set ball on corners (Westwood is horrible despite being designated for what 3 seasons?). Whoever is in charge of coaching crosses should be sent away in tar and feathers! Bacuna could cross when he arrived...now he cant. Amavi could cross but now he seem to have lost that ability.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #294 on: October 04, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »
I'd be interested to know how many second balls we won yesterday. Every time the ball broke, a Stoke player always seemed to be there first.  I think it's a combination of our formation and positional play plus a dire lack of fitness. This has happened several times this season. A midfield enforcer is needed.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #295 on: October 04, 2015, 05:50:31 PM »
Correct me if sounds dopey but didn't I read Sherwood was making them do double training sessions at the start of the season or something? Just what were they training at? Sitting on their arses?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #296 on: October 04, 2015, 05:56:18 PM »
It does sound dopey but that's Sherwood not you.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »
Of all the major worries, it's the fact that Stoke were utter wank. Yet comfortably beat us.
Rather the other way round. They are very poor but we never looked like beating them.

Offline saint13

« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »
I called it last week...Rogers sacked. We should get on to it tonight and approach him. it is the only thing that can save us!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »
I called it last week...Rogers sacked. We should get on to it tonight and approach him. it is the only thing that can save us!

Well done. I don't think anyone else saw that coming.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal