collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Poll - Sherwood - got rid  (Read 369442 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Poll - Sherwood - get rid?
« Reply #1590 on: October 06, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »
Ignore the flight of fancy in this, but another analogy if I may.

I want to knock down my conservatory and build an extension.  The problem is the council won't have it and Marjorie Evans who makes these decisions always fights against building on anything that would otherwise be grass.

To appeal to her better nature I arrange a meeting in my conservatory at home. To give me the best place to showcase why this isn't an issue, I employ Dave.

Dave is a landscape gardener from Lye. Salt of the Earth. Learned the job from his Dad and Uncle.

He does four days work, makes the garden look magnificent and demonstrates to Marjorie that my extension won't harm such a fantastic selection of flora and fawna. Marjorie gives the extension the green light.

Do I ask Dave to build the extension? Take him on as a domestic employee with an annual contract to turn my back garden into something akin to the grounds at Longleat? 

Or do you bung him a ton to treat himself to a few beers and take the kids out? Give a testimonial he can use in future?

That is where we are at the minute.

The latter.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1591 on: October 06, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »
Okore?

Can't see him getting a game to be honest.  I think the squad is OK, but we're woefully light up front.  Gabby is crap, Gestede is crap and Sinclair is crap.  I'd be surprised if they get more than 15 goals between them in the rest of the season.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1592 on: October 06, 2015, 07:24:05 PM »
Tim has no identity, no style and basically no clue.

I'm not picking on you here because lots of others have said similar things, but we're you saying that when we beat Albion twice in the space of week, put 4 past Sunderland in half hour (mind you, who doesn't), went to Spurs and won, made Liverpool look ordinary in the Semi Final and had Benteke banging in 12 goals in 10 games or whatever it was? It wasn't that long ago. A little patience wouldn't so amiss.

No, because he wasn't sending us out week after week with no real system, no real tactics, and no fucking idea how not to lose game after game. He also wasn't admitting he didn't have a clue as to his best side or what tactics he wanted us using. It's entirely his fault that he has caused so many questions, and there is zero evidence that he can turn it around for the very reason that he doesn't know his best side or the tactics he wants his team playing. And if doesn't even know those, then every week he's just trying anything and everything in the hope it works. That is absolutely shit management of a parks side, never mind a Premier League club.

I'm very grateful for what he did last season but he has been a total car crash so far this season and after 8 games we are already 4 points away from safety.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1593 on: October 06, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »
I have no answer to the lack of a proven striker.

I also don't have an answer but I have an opinion that Kozak deserves a chance to see if he can become that answer.  He had a decent pre-season, has a good scoring for us and has worked his arse off to get fit, he deserves a run of sub appearances at the very least, I find it bizarre that we haven't looked at him, I also find the complete lack of time Ayew has been given central or on the left (the 2 positions he'd actually played before he joined us) bizarre.

All that said I think part of what we're seeing is a direct result of the number of signings he made.  I'm not saying he was wrong to do it, but it feels a bit like he was a kid in a toy shop who was told he could get whatever he wanted, so he did and now he can't work out what to do with them all.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1594 on: October 06, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »
I don't want a fucking manager learning his trade here for a start. Anyhow, what does he seem to learn from any of those mistakes? Nothing, he just makes different ones.

The thing about his mistakes are not just that he picks tactics/personnel/formations that don't work. He sometimes does things that do work for a bit and then doesn't do them again.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1595 on: October 06, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »
I don't want a fucking manager learning his trade here for a start. Anyhow, what does he seem to learn from any of those mistakes? Nothing, he just makes different ones.

The thing about his mistakes are not just that he picks tactics/personnel/formations that don't work. He sometimes does things that do work for a bit and then doesn't do them again.

I feel like I've seen that before....

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #1596 on: October 06, 2015, 08:17:35 PM »

He should have been learning his trade in the Chapionship or lower before even being considered for Villa. Mind you he will be in the Championship next season ,

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1597 on: October 06, 2015, 08:57:45 PM »
Wouldn't say it was a mistake. He didn't relegate us after all which was the easiest thing to do seeing as when he pitched up we couldn't even score a frigging goal.

The consensus through the last few months of Lambert's tenure was that we had a bunch of semi-competent players - give them somebody who could gee them up a bit better and we'd probably be fine. It's revisionism to suggest that survival last year was some sort of Sherwood-inspired miracle. It was a spluttery push to get us to the hard shoulder of the motorway.

It was absolutely a mistake. Unless you think that there was nobody else who could have both performed semi-competently last season and not been completely shit this season.

Well same things happened to Advocat at Sunderland who IS a highly respected and experienced manager.

Sometimes whoever the manager is you can't sustain momentum, we lost it for whatever reason at Southampton and it's never come back which is disappointing as when we were getting results in the run in last season, we weren't just scraping them but actually playing pretty well.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1598 on: October 06, 2015, 09:26:16 PM »
He has too many areas he needs to get right. You cannot say 'oh we just need to tighten up at the back' and we'll be ok or 'just need for us to add a bit of width'. Every area looks short, so I cannot see how it will 'click'.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #1599 on: October 06, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »
He has too many areas he needs to get right. You cannot say 'oh we just need to tighten up at the back' and we'll be ok or 'just need for us to add a bit of width'. Every area looks short, so I cannot see how it will 'click'.

He is Barry Bullshit.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #1600 on: October 06, 2015, 10:17:16 PM »
Back of my mind says take 2 or 3 more woeful results and get rid of this chancer ASAP , get a proper manager in while we still have about 27/28 games left to make a go of it

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1601 on: October 06, 2015, 10:45:07 PM »
Football is a team game but we just look like a bunch of individuals.  There does not seem to be any cohesion between a group of 3 players in any area of the pitch.  Two of the reasons for this are constant changing of the players and selecting players that others cannot link with.  Gestede would be the most obvious example to me of the latter point.  Other than his heading ability, he offers us very little and therefore, in my opinion, the negatives outweigh the positives.  I think he would be better used as a substitute coming into a game later and giving the opposition something different to think about.

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #1602 on: October 06, 2015, 10:47:03 PM »
The Villa job does seem to beat a lot of managers. Tim is already looking a lot older and more haggard than he did last season.
So am I!
He's obviously not fit enough to perform in the managerial style he wants, he should give himself more training...

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #1603 on: October 06, 2015, 10:49:39 PM »
Football is a team game but we just look like a bunch of individuals.  There does not seem to be any cohesion between a group of 3 players in any area of the pitch.  Two of the reasons for this are constant changing of the players and selecting players that others cannot link with.  Gestede would be the most obvious example to me of the latter point.  Other than his heading ability, he offers us very little and therefore, in my opinion, the negatives outweigh the positives.  I think he would be better used as a substitute coming into a game later and giving the opposition something different to think about.
I thought gestedes hold up play v Stoke was far better than it had previously been. I'm hoping he's a quick learner and we will see rapid improvements

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #1604 on: October 06, 2015, 10:49:44 PM »
Back of my mind says take 2 or 3 more woeful results and get rid of this chancer ASAP , get a proper manager in while we still have about 27/28 games left to make a go of it

Not picking on you, but I've seen similar quotes along the lines of give him until December or Christmas or 3/4/5 games and then with the extra poor results get rid.

Isn't that just lacking the courage of our convictions? The inferred message is that he's expected to fail, we just don't want to be seen to be too hasty / unfair, otherwise the statement would be we expect him to turn it around over the next X games.

If we're expecting him to fail anyway, that's exactly the point and reason to chop him, otherwise we're just wasting games where a new manager could be imposing some sort of structure to our play and getting to know the players.

I've seen several reasons floated as to why he shouldn't get the chop.

It wouldn't be fair/too soon.
Hope he turns it around.
Blind hope.
It would be a bit small time / Newcastle to can him already.

I don't think that I've seen 1 footballing reason to keep him in the job since the thread was started and that in itself is pretty damning.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal